Citizens Engine Company 1/Amicitia H&L 1 - 3 firehouses - Princes Bay SI (1900-1937)
Workers from SS White Dental Works factory formed these two volunteer fire companies to provide fire protection for the Pleasant Plains/Princes Bay sections of SI. They responded to alarms from Mt Loretto-Tottenville to Annadale. The responses were made with equipment pulled by hand or by horses, until motorized in the 1920s. Alarms were sounded by a whistle at SS White. Both companies disbanded in 1937 when Engine 164 and Ladder 84 were organized in Huguenot.
1st firehouse - 6225 Amboy Rd:
Today a beauty shop:
2nd firehouse - 6054 Amboy Rd:
Today (former Princes Bay NY Public Library branch:
3rd Firehouse was building next door to 2nd firehouse - Amiticia Hall -
Amicitia H&L 1 posing in front of 3rd firehouse.
Notes about SS White, which supported fire companies:
- by 1890s - the largest employer on SI
- by 1920s, the largest maker of dental equipment in the world
- closed as manufacturing facility in 1972
- converted to a Factory Center trade mart and discount outlet center which proved to be unsuccessful
- closed in 1982
- vacant buildings were location of many fires for Bn 23 units
- 2nd alarm suspicious fire caused remaining buildings to be razed in 1986 http://www.silive.com/specialreports/index.ssf/2011/03/ss_white_was_supplying_the_wor.html