Cataract Engine 2 End of Van St W. New Brighton 1st SI volunteer company established 1844 in "Factoryville" section of SI, later renamed West New Brighton. Factoryville was so named because of the manufacturing build up which took place after 1819. Textile dyeing and printing were first factories. Many followed. Charles Goodyear (as in tires) built Indian rubber-related factories starting in 1835 to produce shoes, life preservers and other rubber goods. He later discovered a vulcanization process for rubber. This fire company was established to preotect the fast growing industrialized area. SI was still not part of NYC.
10 Van St today - Fix-a-Dent Auto Body:http://fixadent.net/
West New Brighton area today covered by Engine 156, Ladder 79 and Bn 22.
Engine 156 412 Broadway - current quarters - established in 1905 in former volunteer firehouse:
Ladder 79/Bn 22 1189 Castleton Ave - current quarters - L 79 established in 1905 in former volunteer firehouse:
Bn 22 was organized in 1905 at 51 Cottage Place firehouse in fwith newly organized engine 207 (later E 157)