Author Topic: FDNY Frequencies  (Read 15925 times)

Offline dan

Re: FDNY Frequencies
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2015, 07:15:46 PM »
The simulcast will continue for an undetermined amount of time. All operations are conducted on the UHF system. A handful of support and staff vehicles still have VHF radios. Over the last few weeks the radio mechanics have drastically cut down the wattage on the VHF system thus reducing the coverage area. 100 watts or less now as opposed to 200-300 watts going off the old VHF system. The DARS system is continuing to expand and the first batch of Motorola APEX portables are being tested on an extremely limited basis.

Nycfire.net

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2015, 07:15:46 PM »

Offline nfd2004

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2015, 10:02:09 PM »
The simulcast will continue for an undetermined amount of time. All operations are conducted on the UHF system. A handful of support and staff vehicles still have VHF radios. Over the last few weeks the radio mechanics have drastically cut down the wattage on the VHF system thus reducing the coverage area. 100 watts or less now as opposed to 200-300 watts going off the old VHF system. The DARS system is continuing to expand and the first batch of Motorola APEX portables are being tested on an extremely limited basis.

Thank you for that info.

Offline FDNY793727

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2015, 12:11:01 AM »

Could you explain what you mean by the DARS system is going to expand and what the Motorola APEX radios are for? Are battalion chiefs going to eventually be able to re-broadcast on-scene FG transmissions to the UHF system like the Divisions currently do?

Offline gjb114

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2015, 12:51:08 PM »
Sorry if this diverts from the current topic but I'm in need of recommendations from the knowledgeable on this site. After some 30 plus years my Radio Shack scanner needs to be replaced. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive handheld programmable scanner that is reliable. My main interest is FDNY. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Offline nfd2004

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2015, 02:09:43 PM »
Sorry if this diverts from the current topic but I'm in need of recommendations from the knowledgeable on this site. After some 30 plus years my Radio Shack scanner needs to be replaced. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive handheld programmable scanner that is reliable. My main interest is FDNY. Thanks in advance for your responses.

If you live in the NYC area and might be interested in a portable scanner to listen to the new FDNY channels, I think "mikeindabronx", has a good one that serves the purpose well. Maybe he can help you.

Offline johnd248

• Aux. Lieut. at E. 248 1964-73
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2015, 03:51:27 PM »
I use a PSR 310 made by GRECOR.  Great handheld radio.  My scanner installed in my vehicle is a different model from the same manufacturer.  No problems with either one.

Online HCO

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2015, 09:16:37 PM »
The Uniden Bearcat 125 is relatively inexpensive, has good sensitivity, is easily programmed w/free Uniden software, and doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles.
Here's a link:
http://www.uniden.com/scanners/bearcat-handheld-scanner/invt/bc125atg
The "Grecor" mentioned is "Grecom." The company has been sold to Whistler, the radar detector outfit. The Whistler models are slightly changed from Grecom and significantly more expensive than some Uniden models.  I have a couple of pre-Whistler Grecoms and find they are good receivers, but pricey.  Also have a BC-125 (above) and find it hard to beat when fitted with a better (longer) antenna.

Offline CFDMarshal

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2015, 09:42:48 AM »
I just purchased at the recommendation of a friend the Uniden BCD436HP digital trunked scanner. I am sure it is great and will do all that I would ever need but NEWSFLASH: I am too stupid to operate it! Things aren't simple anymore!!!!!

Offline FDNY793727

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2015, 10:44:46 PM »
This is just some information for everyone who listens to FDNY Fireground communications using the 400 MHz Trunked system on a scanner. The Talkgroup 5392, originally called "Staff Chiefs" on the Radio Reference website, has recently been transmitting the Command Channel for multiple alarms and major incidents.

Offline nfd2004

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2017, 09:18:04 PM »
 A friend who is a retired member of the FDNY asked me if I could help him out to understand the newer FDNY frequencies and what might be a good scanner to be used for those channels today. The new UHF frequencies like Manhattan - 482.10625, Bronx - 482.00625, etc.

His question was what scanner is best to be used in order to pick up these frequencies. He said his scanner can not go out to all the five numbers after the decimal places. I too had that concern but I really didn't know the answer.

So what I did was try to ask a few people who knew much more about it. In addition for me I had concerns about some digital frequencies as well. Then comes in terms like "Phase 1", "Phase 2", computer programing, etc. That has put me out of the self programming and understanding these systems by todays high tech standards.

1) I was told by an individual who services the radio system for the entire emergency services of one of our larger cities and the many surrounding cities and towns that even the newer scanners will NOT SHOW all five digits displayed after the decimal point. However despite that, those frequencies WILL work once installed. All the numbers just won't show. I had thought that if all did not show, it is possible to receive "spill over" from another closer frequency.

2) I have asked a few people what scanner do they recommend these days for both mobile and base use. These people know much more about it than I do. I was told the scanner name of "Whistler" might be one of the best choices. In my case I need one that will cover all of the bands, Low, High, Ultrahigh, Digital in my car, aka "The Willy D Buffmobile". At home basically the low and high band would serve my purpose. I'm just a little too far away to pick up the two digital channels I would be interested in. That same "Whistler" seemed to fit my needs. One of the guys also suggested that Uniden makes a good, overall scanner as well.

I've seen the "Whistler" set up in a car. Not much bigger than a cell phone today. In fact it appeared to be a cell phone holder that was supporting that scanner.

A recent check around and it appears "The Whistler" to be selling for about $500.00. (I sure need to be a very good boy if I hope Santa Clause brings me one of those things).

I didn't get too much into a portable scanner because I have a portable GRE (I believe they are no longer in business though) but it seems to work okay. I just have no idea how to program it. For those of us who remember the days of buying crystals for our scanners, instead of buying crystals now, I pay somebody to program the scanner for me and show me how to operate it.

If anybody has any thoughts or ideas on this, I'm sure there are guys out there that would be interested in hearing about it.

Offline IzzyEng4

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2017, 09:06:00 PM »
WILLY D!!!  Hello from Mashantucket (I'm working today)!

To help answer your question, I actually have the same problem with my older scanner and also my HAM radio I have the frequencies programmed into. Usually you'll have to "round up or down" the frequency when you put it in your scanner. It was the same thing we had to do when the VHF High-band was narrow-banded.

So With the Bronx on 482.00625 I had to program in 482.0000 to listen, Manhattan from 482.100625 down to 482.1000. I have them programmed in my older BCD396T, BCD996T and my Yaesu 7800 Ham rig (receive only).

So the math technically would be ASSIGNED FREQUENCY minus (or plus) 0.00625 equals FREQUENCY NEEDED TO PROGRAM INTO OLDER SCANNER.

You will still be able to hear the radio transmissions due to the how close the frequencies are to each other.   I would advise not to have a PL / DPL programmed in just in case you have reception problems, just keep it at a good squelch setting.

The newer Unidens and Wistlers do have the capability of the new re-banding of the UHF splits. However an older 16 channel BCT-15 can do the same job as long as you round off the frequencies.

Hope that helps you out.  Hope all is well and I know I still owe you that coffee.

Izzy

Offline nfd2004

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2017, 09:38:51 PM »
 Thanks Izzy, I appreciate that.

There's a few guys like myself with the same questions and there's been a few guys that have sent me some of their thoughts too. 

Most guys are suggesting the newer Unidens or Wistlers as well.

Thanks for the advise about NOT putting in the Pl/DPl.

Izzy, let me know when you want to buy me that Dunks coffee. By the way, those Pumpkin Muffins are out too.