Author Topic: FDNY Frequencies  (Read 23800 times)

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
Re: FDNY Frequencies
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 06:57:03 PM »
Hello,

what will be in 2013, when FDNY changes to UHF?
Could we listen to FDNY radio in the future?

Tobi

Yes, you will be able to listen but only with certain scanners as mentioned above.

Nycfire.net

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 06:57:03 PM »

Offline schlobi

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 11:34:50 AM »
Thanks...

This is only for information. I only can listen via thebravst.com or at radioreference.com.
From Germany/Hamburg ist difficult to listen with a radio scanner  ;)

Offline raybrag

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 12:13:17 PM »
Of course you can, Schlobi!  Of course, it will be the Feuerwher, not the FDNY   ::) ::) ::)

Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline schlobi

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 04:34:49 PM »
Hey raybrag,

you're right, we also can linsten to Feuerwehr/ems and police radio with radio scanner, but only until 2013.
We will turn to digital TETRA and from than we can not listen.

Hamburg und Berlin allready changed.

So hope, that i can hear FDNY radio instead of our frequenies in the future.

Schlobi

Offline tbendick

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • Nycfire.net
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
You will have no problems with FDNY.  New system is  built and in use.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 07:56:05 AM »
Is the FDNY now using the Ultrahigh band channels only. I ask because I am no longer able to hear them on my portable scanner in Bridgeport, Ct where I was able to pick them up on 154. -- channels loud and clear before.

Offline FDNY793727

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 10:45:48 AM »
Is the FDNY now using the Ultrahigh band channels only. I ask because I am no longer able to hear them on my portable scanner in Bridgeport, Ct where I was able to pick them up on 154. -- channels loud and clear before.

I just scanned through all four frequencies and they are all transmitting on the 154.xxx frequencies, with Citywide working as of last night.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 11:01:51 AM »
Thank you. Maybe I hit the panic button too quick. I did pick up activity on 154.... Shortly after I posted that. I was listening about 50 miles outside NYC and usually I have no problem with my portable scanner.

I guess I'm just a little gun shy. I've lost too many of my favorite depts recently going to digital or any other high tech radio communications.

Offline FD347

• FDNewYork.com
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2014, 01:29:18 PM »
We had a problem with the VHF link for a day or so. It should be back now.
Frank Raffa
Ret. Supv. Dispatcher, FDNY
www.FDNewYork.com
BCO - RIP
2/22/1923 - 6/3/2008

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2014, 01:55:26 PM »
Okay thanks Frank. Maybe that was it.

Offline soda-acid

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2014, 05:50:28 PM »
Is there any date when the FDNY will stop simulcasting and only operate on the new frequencies?  Didn't they get a waiver from the FCC until the end of the year? Or does that have to do with the narrow banding?

Offline 811

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2014, 04:08:39 AM »
I am in the city and receive all the FDNY VHF (old) frequencies well, but when scanning the new borough UHF frequencies being simulcast, the scanner frequently stops on one or another because of "noise" which can't be squelched out.

Is this a common issue with this band?

Reminds me of years ago a certain Brooklyn Dispatcher had a unique way of doing time checks.  He would announce:
"The time is nnnn, your Scanner Has Stopped at KEB-525, Brooklyn Fire Radio, Dispatcher nnn".

Offline NYBravest82

• LCPhotowerx
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 10:45:14 PM »
Not to dig up an old topic, but it appears as though the switchover may have happened...i'm very rough with the tech issues and scanners, and it may be due to the fact my BC72XLT was dropped twice the other night, but the 154's aren't comin in anymore, and the newly programmed channels, the 482's, by my buddy are coming in...albeit very faintly and staticy at times, but like i said, programming a scanner is not my strong suit by any stretch...maybe someone can offer some insights?

Offline FDNY793727

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 11:51:28 PM »
Not to dig up an old topic, but it appears as though the switchover may have happened...i'm very rough with the tech issues and scanners, and it may be due to the fact my BC72XLT was dropped twice the other night, but the 154's aren't comin in anymore, and the newly programmed channels, the 482's, by my buddy are coming in...albeit very faintly and staticy at times, but like i said, programming a scanner is not my strong suit by any stretch...maybe someone can offer some insights?

At 23:50 I picked up Manhattan on 154.2500 MHz. At 23:54 then 23:55 I heard Staten Island then the Bronx on 154.1900 MHz. At 00:05 Queens transmitted on 154.400 MHz. At 00:09 Brooklyn transmitted on 154.3700. Seems like they're still transmitting on both sets of frequencies.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:10:12 AM by FDNY793727 »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2015, 08:40:38 AM »

At 23:50 I picked up Manhattan on 154.2500 MHz. At 23:54 then 23:55 I heard Staten Island then the Bronx on 154.1900 MHz. At 00:05 Queens transmitted on 154.400 MHz. At 00:09 Brooklyn transmitted on 154.3700. Seems like they're still transmitting on both sets of frequencies.

Thanks for the info guys. Of course I am still very happy to hear that 154.XXX is alive and well. When news first came out about the new ultra high band for the FDNY, my current portable scanner couldn't pick it up. So $500.00 later, I picked one up and thankfully I can hear the FDNY loud and clear as I enjoy a few Big Macs at my favorite Micky Ds or the Big One at Dunks a few blocks away.

However, as most guys know, the transmit power of the newer UHF is not as far as the older 154 numbers. I loose it as soon as I reach I-95 at the NY/Ct border (25 miles ?). Prior to that, same scanner, same outside antenna, I would pick them up in Bridgeport, about 60 miles away.

Now I am not a fan of that new digital radio stuff. I thank the Good Lord that FDNY did not go to that. Many people might disagree and there are many excellent departments that use it today.

Another reason I bought this $500.00 radio is because it picks up digital. My first experience with using digital with that scanner was Providence, R.I. Another excellent fire department that I've learned from and are a big fan of. But leaving 154.37 MHz (same as Brooklyn) for a digital radio system has left a very bitter taste with me. As a buff, I used to pick them up 50 miles away. No more. And then the programming and everything else has basically pushed me to the point, I now just "write it off".

Others will totally disagree and they probably know much better than I do with what they're talking about. All I know is, "how GREAT it once was".