Author Topic: FDNY: Frequently Asked Questions  (Read 328254 times)

Offline FDNYE54

Re: FDNY: Frequently Asked Questions
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 06:25:02 PM »
Hey All, My name is James... my dad is on the job he works at  Engine 92 Ladder 44 Battalion 17, hes been on the job for 35 years.  my grandfather(dads father) was in squad 1 and a lieutenant in south jamaca in the 70's and 80's.he retired with 40 years on the job my dad used to take me to work with him from 96 til like 04 and i loved it. i had my own bunker gear and i used to put out car and rubbish fires. ive seen a lot of crazy shit.....engine 82 ladder 31 quarters go up in flames..i was there when Don Franklin L44 was killed in 2001 .  god bless his family. i have a long lasting love for theFDNY i want it so bad... ever since the day i stepped foot in his quarters. i was told by my dads friend who is  a lt. in engine 5. that its easier to get certified and become an emt and take the promotional test. i want to know how i can and if i can get CFR-D right now. because the next test "supposidely" is in 2011 and i wanna be ready at all costs.
did you get your own bunker gear and ride the rig when you have to be 21 and why dident he get a pension after 20 years working for 40 to 35 years answer me thoes and ill help you out

p.s. vouleenter at your local fire department than take the firefighter 1 and 2 test then you will take the medic class and there you go
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 11:40:54 AM by FDNYE54 »

Nycfire.net

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 06:25:02 PM »

Offline tl-ff

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 07:27:53 PM »
Hey All, My name is James... my dad is on the job he works at  Engine 92 Ladder 44 Battalion 17, hes been on the job for 35 years.  my grandfather(dads father) was in squad 1 and a lieutenant in south jamaca in the 70's and 80's.he retired with 40 years on the job my dad used to take me to work with him from 96 til like 04 and i loved it. i had my own bunker gear and i used to put out car and rubbish fires. ive seen a lot of crazy shit.....engine 82 ladder 31 quarters go up in flames..i was there when Don Franklin L44 was killed in 2001 .  god bless his family. i have a long lasting love for theFDNY i want it so bad... ever since the day i stepped foot in his quarters. i was told by my dads friend who is  a lt. in engine 5. that its easier to get certified and become an emt and take the promotional test. i want to know how i can and if i can get CFR-D right now. because the next test "supposidely" is in 2011 and i wanna be ready at all costs.
first of all how the hell did you get your own bunker gear and ride the rig when you have to be 21 and second you get a pension after 20 years so how could he be working 40 years and 35 answer me thoes and ill answer your question

p.s. vouleenter at your local fire department than take the firefighter 1 and 2 test then you will take the medic class and there you go

Before you start running off at the mouth attacking people read this about 3/4's down........   http://www.ufanyc.org/cms/contents/view/868#19.

Yes, you get a pension after 20 years but to get that pension you have to retire first. Working past your 20 years gives you a bigger pension. Guys come on this job and forget that they have been around so long that the department is telling them it's time for them to get out. In the civilian world most people can't wait for fridays to come and count down the days till the can retire. Here we can't wait to go back to work.

Mandatory retirement in NYC is either 62 or 65 years old.  So as you can see if you went to the link 42 YEARS. 

Bunker gear is easy to acquire. And up to a few years ago ride alongs were permitted, and it was even easier to take in a run if your a family member.

Offline fdnyrules92

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 01:45:36 AM »
Thank you for clearing that up. My dad loves this job thats why hes been on the job so long

Offline manhattan

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 12:35:14 AM »
Can anyone post on here the actual Department Orders or other documents that define the fireground duties of Resource Unit Leader, Safety Officer, Lobby Control Unit and other multiple-alarm Chief Officer and company assignments?

Thanks.

Offline Roofman4

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 08:02:51 PM »
 ???

I've seen and read alot of the runs and workers statistics posted at numerous sites. The busiest companies every year change very little and have been busy for years. When it comes to fire duty city wide, what company catches the most First Due or First In fires?

If you care to take it a little farther...how about in each boro?

Thanks,
RM4
Use Common Sense...It'll save your life!!

Offline mchiefm

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 07:24:32 AM »
What does CFRD, and CIDS stand for.

Offline grumpy grizzly

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 08:41:09 AM »
CFR Certified First Responder. An engine is dispatched individually on medical emergencies. Also one is assigned on all 10-76 and 10-77 (high rise office or resedential) :)
FAC 20 TASS 68-69 SVN. Hue/PhuBai , Boston Spark from 71-79, Chicago 79-15, Bloomington/Normal 2015- present

Offline grumpy grizzly

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 08:50:16 AM »
CIDS Critical Information Dispatch System. Alerts responding via radio or MDT to dangerous or hazardous conditions not apparent at the front of the building. Conditions covered include hazardous chemicals, liquids and substances, structural hazards, heavy fire loading, truss buildings, handicapped individuals. Other conditions may be added as required. Information is gathered by units in their districts and submitted through channels. The dats is keyed to the street addres, the system will print reports for all CIDS buildings within 3 house numbers on the same side of the street as the basic address. :)
FAC 20 TASS 68-69 SVN. Hue/PhuBai , Boston Spark from 71-79, Chicago 79-15, Bloomington/Normal 2015- present

Offline QUEENS1985

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009, 02:52:49 PM »
CIDS example

Offline e203BCVFD

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 01:45:04 PM »
Hey, our printer actually works!!!!  ;D

Most of the abbreviations in the CIDS are easy to understand... STY is story, RF is roof, HAZ is hazard, MD is multiple dwelling, etc.

NZFDNYBuff

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 04:10:46 AM »
Hey guys.

Just curious about what happens in NY if a fire goes above a fifth alarm? And has a five-alarm plus fire ever occurred in New York City?

Offline vbcapt

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2009, 12:19:28 PM »
There have been many fires above a 5th alarm. In the late 70's there was a 10 alarm fire in Brooklyn at Knickerbocker Ave. Both WTC incidents went above a 5th alarm. In the mid 90's there was a 16 alarm fire in an old hotel. Staten Island had a recent brush fire that went to 8 alarms. That's just to name a few.

I do not believe the dispatch computers go to that level. One of the more knowledgeable buffs and/or Fire Alarm Dispatchers can answer that much better that I.
When you get promoted, it doesn't make your subordinates dumb

Offline manhattan

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2009, 01:29:15 PM »
I don't know if the system is still in effect, but anything requiring response above the fifth alarm went to what was called a "Borough Call" or "Borough Alarm."  I heard a few years ago that this was changed and now responses above the fifth are numbered sequentially.

Offline MichaelS

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 01:53:50 PM »
Remember the 10th alarm Greenpoint fire in Brooklyn a couple of years back?

Offline FD347

• FDNewYork.com
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 02:45:24 PM »
There is no 6th or higher alarms in the CADS, we just special call the necessary units and call it by number.

The last time there was a borough call was 2/26/93. Prior to that was in the late 1970's. It's not done usually.

Frank Raffa
Ret. Supv. Dispatcher, FDNY
www.FDNewYork.com
BCO - RIP
2/22/1923 - 6/3/2008