Author Topic: FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies  (Read 994201 times)

Offline mack

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5300
  • Gender: Male
FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies
« on: February 12, 2012, 01:34:38 PM »
Many NYC firehouses and berths served as quarters for FDNY, Brooklyn FD, Long Island City FD, fire patrols, police, airport, federal, military, commercial and volunteer departments and companies.  The original sheds which housed the first fire companies formed to protect NYC in the late 1700s and early 1800s are gone.  But many of the original firehouses built by the volunteer departments, FDNY, Brooklyn and LIC in the mid and late 1800s still exist - some operate as active firehouses, some serve community, business or housing purposes.  Current FDNY firehouses include historic and new state-of-the-art fire stations.  This thread is dedicated to the firehouses, their companies, their apparatus, their histories and the firefighters who served in them.



Directory - FDNY Firehouse and Company Look-Up - Firehouse Thread 1 and Thread 2 Locations
     - compiled by fdhistorian

Company          Page   (Note - Pages 2-00+ are from 2nd Section Thread)

ENGINES
Engine 001   70,113
Engine 002   35,2-09
Engine 003   138
Engine 004   6
Engine 005   57
Engine 006   2-20
Engine 007   31,113
Engine 008   5,44, 2-06
Engine 009   7
Engine 010   1,5
Engine 011   111,2-04
Engine 012   124
Engine 013   75,92,139
Engine 014   93
Engine 015   19,20,133
Engine 016   34
Engine 017   16,20,38,82,133
Engine 018   29
Engine 019   67,2-37
Engine 020   4,25,139
Engine 021   7
Engine 022   9
Engine 023   2-14,2-23
Engine 024   24
Engine 025   2-19
Engine 026   57
Engine 027   121
Engine 028   89,111
Engine 029   7,113
Engine 030   31
Engine 031   84,87
Engine 032   96
Engine 033   4,10
Engine 034   7,57
Engine 035   49,50, 2-16
Engine 036   49,50,143
Engine 037   18
Engine 038   2-19
Engine 039   8,15,75
Engine 040   6,118,145
Engine 041   13,2-03
Engine 042   67
Engine 043   2-29
Engine 044   49,50
Engine 045   88,141
Engine 046   141
Engine 047   51,2-35
Engine 048   2,45,106
Engine 049   8,120,145
Engine 050   21
Engine 052   1
Engine 053   100
Engine 054   
Engine 055   87
Engine 056   74
Engine 058   146
Engine 059   2-36
Engine 060   131
Engine 061   8
Engine 062   141
Engine 063   46,77,124
Engine 064   2-34,2-35
Engine 065   44
Engine 067   93
Engine 068   2-35
Engine 069   9,64,118
Engine 070   9,114
Engine 071   68,118
Engine 072   52,127,128
Engine 073   14,42,140
Engine 074   73,74
Engine 075   139
Engine 076   11
Engine 079   25
Engine 080   145
Engine 081   42
Engine 082   14,111,2-09
Engine 083   2-01,2-02
Engine 084   2-04
Engine 085   20,140,2-09, 2-14
Engine 088   82
Engine 089   61,145
Engine 090   63
Engine 091   48
Engine 092   2-11
Engine 093   76
Engine 094   13,31
Engine 095   2-27
Engine 096   2-27
Engine 097   46 
Engine 151   4,125
Engine 152   29,125
Engine 153   57,2-08
Engine 154   28,123,147
Engine 155   29,2-36
Engine 156   1,19,125
Engine 157   12,125
Engine 158   27
Engine 159   29,125
Engine 160   29,133
Engine 161   2,125
Engine 162   125,135
Engine 163   121
Engine 164   35
Engine 165   25,122
Engine 166   88
Engine 167   53
Engine 168   28 
Engine 201   32
Engine 202   12,80
Engine 203   93
Engine 204   4,13,79
Engine 205   3,36,40
Engine 206   32,132
Engine 207   119
Engine 208   76
Engine 209   18,58,60,118
Engine 210   13
Engine 211   33,35
Engine 212   30,134
Engine 213   14,81
Engine 214   9,25,2-25,2-26
Engine 215   70,134
Engine 216   80
Engine 217   60
Engine 218   81,2-21
Engine 219   19,24,136,137
Engine 220   77
Engine 221   9,2-34
Engine 222   57
Engine 224   38
Engine 225   51,131
Engine 226   54
Engine 227   24,90,111
Engine 228   122
Engine 229   81,134,135
Engine 230   66
Engine 231   40,2-22
Engine 233   93
Engine 234   32,90
Engine 235   89,113
Engine 236   90
Engine 237   13,40
Engine 238   13,25,133
Engine 239   123
Engine 240   13,2-07
Engine 241   54
Engine 242   96
Engine 243   70,92,114
Engine 244   57, 2-13
Engine 245   1,44, 2-13
Engine 246   14,60,138
Engine 247   70
Engine 248   12,72,73,119
Engine 249   39,72
Engine 250   93
Engine 251   6,11,90
Engine 252   55
Engine 253   19
Engine 254   10,42
Engine 255   62, 2-18, 2-19
Engine 256   129, 2-14
Engine 257   26
Engine 258   2-18
Engine 259   3,27,115
Engine 260   12,21
Engine 261   78,136, 2-14
Engine 262   2-26
Engine 263   11
Engine 264   3,20
Engine 265   6,7
Engine 266   6,10,2-07
Engine 267   10,31,2-07
Engine 268   31,122
Engine 269   27
Engine 270   4,81
Engine 271   12
Engine 272   2,43
Engine 273   2-25
Engine 274   3,6
Engine 275   118,131
Engine 276   124
Engine 277   76
Engine 278   2-25
Engine 279   96
Engine 280   31,2-26
Engine 281   116
Engine 282   2-35
Engine 283   64
Engine 284   71
Engine 285   30
Engine 286   38
Engine 287   4,57,61,67,110,2-01
Engine 288   19,38,57
Engine 289   3,53
Engine 290   2-33,2-34
Engine 291   2-19
Engine 292   36,110,2-01
Engine 293   2-08
Engine 294   79
Engine 295   43,111
Engine 296   10,44,99
Engine 297   146,147
Engine 298   118
Engine 299   88,118
Engine 301   2-25
Engine 302   35
Engine 303   2-23
Engine 304   71
Engine 305   50
Engine 306   38,67
Engine 307   29
Engine 308   95
Engine 309   94
Engine 310   97
Engine 311   85
Engine 312   135
Engine 313   60
Engine 314   97
Engine 315   2-05
Engine 316   124
Engine 317   123
Engine 318   44
Engine 319   42,43
Engine 320   94
Engine 321   38 
Engine 323   52
Engine 324   53
Engine 325   92
Engine 326   1,71
Engine 327   14,60,138
Engine 328   3,20
Engine 329   27
Engine 330   97
Engine 331   10,63,125
Engine 332   10,50,51

LADDERS  
Ladder 001   31,113
Ladder 002   5,206
Ladder 003   4,57,94
Ladder 004   
Ladder 005   24
Ladder 006   
Ladder 007   
Ladder 008   31,99
Ladder 009   10
Ladder 010   7,31,113
Ladder 011   89,111
Ladder 012   138
Ladder 013   9,29
Ladder 014   49,50, 2-16
Ladder 015   1,5
Ladder 016   8,15,75
Ladder 017   131
Ladder 018   16,20,21,82,133
Ladder 019   21
Ladder 020   75
Ladder 021   7,57
Ladder 022   11
Ladder 023   145
Ladder 024   70
Ladder 025   73,74
Ladder 026   145,146
Ladder 027   141
Ladder 028   9
Ladder 029   2-01,2-02
Ladder 030   2-36
Ladder 031   14,111,2-09
Ladder 032   21,46,141
Ladder 033   139
Ladder 034   2-04
Ladder 035   6,118,145
Ladder 036   2-27
Ladder 037   25
Ladder 038   82
Ladder 039   9,46,64,93,118,124,145
Ladder 040   18
Ladder 041   63
Ladder 042   14,42,140
Ladder 043   48,100
Ladder 044   2-11
Ladder 045   76.93
Ladder 046   42
Ladder 047   2-34,2-35
Ladder 048   13,31
Ladder 049   2-35
Ladder 050   61
Ladder 051   2-19
Ladder 052   1
Ladder 053   9,52
Ladder 054   2-27
Ladder 055   68,118
Ladder 056   67
Ladder 057   47,129
Ladder 058   88,141
Ladder 059   20,140,2-29
Ladder 060   47
Ladder 061   55
Ladder 076   4,125
Ladder 077   57,2-08
Ladder 078   29,54,125,2-36
Ladder 079   19,125
Ladder 080   12
Ladder 081   29,125,133
Ladder 082   135
Ladder 083   121
Ladder 084   35
Ladder 085   25,122,125
Ladder 086   88
Ladder 087   52 
Ladder 101   12,80
Ladder 102   18,59,60,118
Ladder 103   14,19,87,2-33,2-34
Ladder 104   9,35,2-34
Ladder 105   7,24,136
Ladder 106   13,25,133
Ladder 107   48,50
Ladder 108   39
Ladder 109   54
Ladder 110   119
Ladder 111   9,25,2-25,2-26
Ladder 112   76
Ladder 113   39,72
Ladder 114   32,51
Ladder 115   2-18
Ladder 116   78,136
Ladder 117   11
Ladder 118   36
Ladder 119   11,33,35
Ladder 120   40,2-22
Ladder 121   6,7,10,31,2-07
Ladder 122   77
Ladder 123   90
Ladder 124   12
Ladder 125   81,2-05
Ladder 126   25,2-23
Ladder 127   118
Ladder 128   27,115
Ladder 129   2-25
Ladder 130   10,44,99,146,147
Ladder 131   96
Ladder 132   31,2-26
Ladder 133   131
Ladder 134   3,20
Ladder 135   38
Ladder 136   36,38,57,61,67,110,2-01
Ladder 137   31,122
Ladder 138   
Ladder 139   Never organized
Ladder 140   2-19
Ladder 141   Never organized
Ladder 142   30
Ladder 143   79
Ladder 144   43,111
Ladder 145   Never organized
Ladder 146   81,134,135
Ladder 147   116
Ladder 148   2-35
Ladder 149   71
Ladder 150   2-25
Ladder 151   50
Ladder 152   38,67,88
Ladder 153   42
Ladder 154   29
Ladder 155   35,95
Ladder 156   124
Ladder 157   62,2-18
Ladder 158   85
Ladder 159   94
Ladder 160   71
Ladder 161   1,57
Ladder 162   71
Ladder 163   92,135
Ladder 164   60
Ladder 165   123
Ladder 166   44
Ladder 167   38,94
Ladder 168   70,92,114
Ladder 169   14,60,138
Ladder 170   26
Ladder 171   27,111
Ladder 172   97
Ladder 173   63,125
Ladder 174   97
Ladder 175   48,50
Ladder 176   20,74,93,138
TCU 712       2-14
TCUs            75
 

COMBINED FIRE COMPANIES
CFCs           127


BATTALIONS
BC01   31,113
BC02   24,84,87
BC03   13,14,31,75,2-09
BC04   16,20,133
BC05   29,31,75
BC06   4,57,93,94
BC07   29,138,2-09
BC08   5,44,2-06
BC09   
BC10   9,13,29,2-03
BC11   11,18
BC12   49,50,143
BC13   76,2-04
BC14   131
BC15   9,46,124
BC16   9,145,146
BC17   21,67,2-11
BC18   73,88,141
BC19   139
BC20   
BC21   29,2-08
BC22   12,19,125
BC23   
BC24   13
BC25   48
BC26   21,42,68
BC27   13,14,25,40,2-09
BC28   12,57
BC29   50,90
BC30   
BC31   119
BC32   12,79,93
BC33   124
BC34   18,58,59,60
BC35   39,81
BC36   13,25,133,2-01
BC37   57,81
BC38   32,90
BC39   90
BC40   32,70,122,2-25
BC41   12,72,73
BC42   70,71,92,114
BC43   1,14
BC44   40,2-22
BC45   27,115
BC46   11,53,61,67,110
BC47   7,31,122,2-07
BC48   13,77,2-07
BC49   124,135
BC50   118
BC51   79,95,131
BC52   2,43,111
BC53   38,71
BC54   123
BC55   10,14,42
BC56   
BC57   89,113
BC58   26,40,97
BC59   42,131
BC60   2-21

DIVISIONS   
DC01   24,31,84,139
DC02   73,87,127
DC03   70,73
DC04   49,100
DC05   49,53,145
DC06   68
DC07   118,128,2-09
DC08   28,29,123,133,147
DC09   55
DC10   123
DC11   35,81,119
DC12   13,93,96,97
DC13   55,81
DC14   29,53
DC15   26,55,64,93
DC16   
DC17   55


RESCUES 
RS01   29,30,31,38,44,57,139
RS02   13,32,138
RS03   68,76
RS04   36,110,124,2-01
RS05   29,2-36
RS06   



SQUADS
1         2-36
2         140
3
4         127,2-22
5
6
7
8         2-46
9
21
22
24
1
18
41
61
252
270
288





MARINE UNITS
Engine 043  2-29
Engine 051   7,2-33
Engine 057   1,2-33
Engine 066   39,51,55,2-32
Engine 077   8,2-29,2-30
Engine 078   8,9,51,2-33
Engine 085   2-32
Engine 086   1,2-31
Engine 087   1,2-32
Engine 223   2-31
Engine 232   5,20,40,74,138,2-32
M1   1,38
M2   
M3   63,125
M4   
M5   9,51
M6   39,51,55
M7   
M8   5,145
M9   7
MarDiv 2-30,2-31,2-32
 

FIRE PATROL
FP1      26
FP2      26
FP3      26
FP4      3, 26
FP5      26
FP6      2, 26
FP7      26
FP8      26
FP9      26
FP10     26

   
Sal      136


Salvage 1,2,3,4,5   2-28 


Superpumper      2-34

   
Water Towers    76,83
   
Hose                   2-08

EMS BN               
17                       2-35

Yellow apparatus   2-37



« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 01:11:00 PM by mack »

Nycfire.net

FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies
« on: February 12, 2012, 01:34:38 PM »

Offline mack

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5300
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY Firehouses Gone
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 01:40:17 PM »
Engine 10-Ladder 15 - former firehouse - 73 Water Street  (1931-1962)

Dedication 1931:





Engine 10


Ladder 15




Modernized quarters


Water St today





Engine 10/Ladder 10:

     

     


10 House Memorial LODDs:

     http://www.fdnytenhouse.com/911/

          Lieutenant Gregg A. Atlas Engine 10, Age 44  September 11, 2001

          Firefighter Paul Pansini Engine 10, Age 36  September 11, 2001

          Lieutenant Stephen G. Harrell Battalion 7, Age 44  September 11, 2001

          Firefighter Sean P. Tallon Ladder 10, Age 26  September 11, 2001

          Firefighter Jeffrey J. Olsen Engine 10, Age 31  September 11, 2001

          Captain (Ret.) James J. Corrigan Ladder 10, Age 60  September 11, 2001

          Firefighter Miles L. Sowarby  August 27, 1867
 
          Firefighter Thomas P. Eglinton  February 4, 1908

          Firefighter William F. Healy  June 6, 1910

     RIP.  Never forget.


Engine 10/L 10 web page:

          http://www.fdnytenhouse.com/

« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 12:55:34 AM by mack »

Offline memory master

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2131
Re: FDNY Firehouses Gone
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 02:54:06 PM »
Directly behind 10 & 15's quarters is the 1st Precinct building which I believe still stands and is the NYPD museum. Did anyone notice the chain across the apparatus doors on the fire house? I wonder what that was for?

Offline johnd248

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3571
  • Aux. Lieut. at E. 248 1964-73
Re: FDNY Firehouses Gone
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 03:27:02 PM »
Chain was to keep out buffs.

Offline mack

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5300
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY Firehouses Gone
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 03:36:28 PM »
Engine 86 (Marine)/Marine 2/Marine 3/Marine 1 -  Pier 53 - Ft of Bloomfield St Hudson River - Former quarters/berth
  (Engine 86 (Marine) 1933-1959/Marine 2 1959-1991/Marine 3 1961/Marine 1/1992-2008)   

1940s



Fireboat McKean



Today
http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/events/2011/101411a.shtml


Online 68jk09

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 10007
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY Firehouses Gone
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 08:22:38 PM »
Many FHs had the chain ...if you look at the sides of some doors you can see marks where it was fastened about waist high.........i had worked a few tours in Marine 2 when i was a LT......the whole bldg creaked & rocked....it was like a bldg on the water in the Orient. 

Offline mack

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5300
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY Firehouses Gone
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 08:35:21 PM »
Engine 245, Engine 245-2, Engine 326, Ladder 161, Bn 43  2929 W 8th St  Coney Island - former firehouse - (E 245 1904-1968/E 245-2 1904-1939/Eng 326 1939-1952/Ladder 161 1927-1968/Bn 43 1906-1968) - original Brooklyn Fire Department firehouse

2929 West 8th Street former firehouse:













Current quarters (1971)


Engine 245:






Engine 245/Ladder 166 responding:


Engine 245/Ladder 166 building alarm:


Coney Island history:

1940s:

1952: 


Coney Island fire history:

Engine 245 history:  http://www.nyfd.com/history/engine_245_1.html

         "ENGINE 245 AND CONEY ISLAND TOGETHER FOR 100 HUNDRED YEARS   By Mike Boucher S.I. CO


Coney Island is known for more than its' amusement parks, fine hotels, beaches, and hot dogs. During the turn of the century over 250,000 postcards would be mailed to every corner of the globe on any given weekend during the summer season. Because of these postcards, the area became a magnet for people. The area was densely packed with poorly built shanties, with narrow walkways between them. With the high density, cramped condition, Coney Island also attracted the seedier side of life with gambling, saloons and the ladies of the night. This all lead to what Coney Island is also famous for, conflagration on a grand scale.
Coney Island was first settled in the late 1600's by the Dutch. The name "Coney" comes from the Dutch word "Konijn" meaning wild rabbits. As early as 1824, Coney Island was a summer play area for the rich and famous visiting from New York City and Brooklyn. The growth of the area remained the same until the Civil War. After the War, five railroads were built from different parts of Brooklyn and Coney Island began to grow into a resort area and the most densely populated area in Brooklyn. This tightly and poorly built up area would contribute to some of the worst fires to visit New York City.
Coney Island was located in the town of Gravesend, which was annexed, along with the towns of New Utrecht, Flatbush, and Flatlands by the City of Brooklyn on May 3, 1894. This new land more than doubled the size of Brooklyn. When annexed, the fire protection would be provided by the volunteers in the area until the City's paid force could be expanded into the newly annexed area. All of the expenses to operate the volunteers would be paid for by the City of Brooklyn.
Fire protection on Coney Island was organized in late 1886 with two companies. Atlantic Hose 1, and Hook & Ladder 1 which were placed in service in a two story firehouse at 2919 W. 8th Street. Later in 1892, a second hose company was placed in service at Sheepshead Bay Road and W. 1st Street. In 1893, two different fires struck Coney Island with each burning a large section of the island.
The first fire was fought on the evening of January 6, 1893. The fire started in a drug store on the corner of Surf Avenue and W. 8th Street on a snowy, wind swept night. It burnt a bathing pavilion, the West End Hotel a well-known resort hotel, six stores, a 300 foot observation tower and many smaller building before it ran out of fuel. The fire was fought in a gale wind that blew the fire towards the ocean. The lost was set at $250,000.00. The West End Hotel was a two story wood frame building that measured 200 feet by 200 feet. In it was a bowling alley and billiard rooms in the basement, restaurants and saloons on the first floor and forty sleeping rooms upstairs.
The second fire of 1893 was on June 17th and was smaller but, took out a business block and the life of a fireman. The fire started in Frishman Bakery at 2:15 in the morning. A large pot of fat was spilled, setting fire to the woodwork. The fire spread along Surf Avenue between West 11th and 12th Street, burning out eleven buildings. The loss was set at $43,300.00 with very little of it being insured. Fireman John Madden, along with several other firemen were on the roof of the bakery when an explosion inside of the building, weakened the roof. Everybody ran to the edge of the roof for safety. Fireman Madden tripped and fell to the roof just has the roof collapsed. His body was recovered after the fire was put out. By dawn, the burned out basements were being filled in with sand and new construction began before the embers were cool. Most of the buildings would be ready for business in a weeks time.
After the second fire the political leaders of Coney Island ordered a new steam power fire engine that would replaced the hand power machines.The steam fire engine was ordered and arrivied late in 1893, Atlantic Engine 1 was placed in service and kept with the other machines on W. 8th Street.
On December 9, 1895, the Coney Island fire companies along with Gravesend Neck and Sheepshead Bay departments were replaced by paid companies. Engine 44 (244) & Ladder 16, Engine 45 (245), Engine 46 (246) & Ladder 17, and Engine 54 (254) of the Brooklyn Fire Department were placed in three volunteer houses. Engine 44 and Ladder 16 were located in a new house on W. 15th Street. All of these companies were under the command of District Chief 13 (now Battalion 43), located with Engine 45.
The first fire fought by Brooklyn's Engine 45 was on October 27, 1896. The Coney Island Elephant was built in 1876 and was the first of the famous attractions to burn. The elephant was seven stories high and over 100 feet long. Built of yellow pine and tin, it burnt to the ground in thirty minutes. The first floor had a restaurant and saloon, while the upper floors were used as a hotel. On the top was a howdad (the seat to ride the elephant), which was used as an observation deck, came crashing down in flames soon after the fire started. Also destroyed was Shaw's Toboggan Sled ride, which surrounded the elephant. The total lost was placed at $26,000.00. The elephant was seen in every photograph of Coney Island used in books during the "Gay 90's." It was never a moneymaker for the owners and it was sold several time in its short history. The elephant was located at Surf Avenue and about W. 5th Street. This location would have a repeat performance several years later.
On January 1, 1898, the Cities of New York with the Bronx, Brookyln, Long Island, parts of Queens County and Staten Island merged into the Greater City of New York. The Brooklyn Fire Department became part of the FDNY on January 28, 1898 with the companies being renumber on October 1, 1899.
Not a busy fire area in the beginning, Engine 145 responded to only thirty five runs in 1899 with only eleven working fires. One of these fires that year was fought on May 26th, the burning of nine blocks along the beach, from Jones Walk to Steeplechase Walk up to Bowery Street. This fire started around 2:40 in the morning after a watch man tried to put out a small fire. The fire spread from the original building before the first alarm was sent to the fire department. Engines 144, 145, Engine 144's ladder truck and Battalion 13 (now 43) arrived to find the end of Henderson Walk a roaring inferno. Because of the narrowness of Henderson Walk, the hoses had to stretched from the closest hydrant at Surf Avenue down to the fire, some 1500 feet away. Due to the poor construction and the closeness of the buildings the fire spread quickly to adjoining buildings. Once the fire was out a total of twenty six hotels were destroyed, along with 165 bath houses and many smaller buildings occupied by families. No insurance company would insure any of the buildings south of Bowery Street and the loss was estimated at $300,000.00. The four alarm fire was fought by ten engines, five ladder trucks and a fireboat.

The next "Big One" was on November 1, 1903. This fire was started over a woman and destroyed fourteen blocks. Three men were fighting with the owner of the Albatross Hotel over a woman, and they started a fire in the laundry room of the hotel. The fire started at Steeplechase Walk and Bowery Street, then extended to Surf Avenue over to Jones Walk down to the beach, back to Steeplechase Walk. A total of 264 buildings were destroyed for a lost of $1,200,000.00, and 500 were left homeless. A nine year girl was killed by the fire and thirty persons were injured. The three men were arrested for starting the fire. The four alarm fire and four special calls brought a total of sixteen engines and three ladder trucks to the location.
On July 29, 1907, fire visited Tilyou Steeplechase Park without paying admission. Built in 1897, by George C. Tilyou, Steeplechase Park was the first of the well known amusement parks to open. The park was famous for the mechanical horse ride known as the Steeplechase. Other rides were the rolling drums that people tried to walk through, the Spinning Floor ride and through out the park were grates with air jets that blew air up as people walked over them. At the entrance was the wide smiling face of a clown, now used by Engine 245, Ladder 161, and Battalion 43 for their patch.
This fire was started under the stairs of the pavilion, probably by a discarded cigar. The night watch man found the fire around 3:45 in the morning and turned in the alarm. He pulled the master box for the Park but, did not turn the handle inside. The fire burned for twenty seven minutes before the alarm was finally turned in. The fire spread quickly to adjoining buildings. By Coney Island standards this fire was small, only seventy four building were burnt in a four block area, along with Steeplechase Park. Fireman Gottfried Messerli, of Engine 245 was hit in the head by a falling beam. He died on August 2nd has result of the injuries. The four alarm fire was under control in two hours and was fought by twelve engines and four ladder companies. Steeplechase Park would be rebuilt and it was closed in the 1960's.
Less than a year later, July 9, 1908, the Pabst Loop Hotel, the Vanderveer Hotel and the Culver depot of the Brooklyn Rapid Transit would be victims of the "Red Devil". The name of Pabst Loop Hotel came from the fact the hotel was curved and the BRT tracks looped around the building to change direction back to Brooklyn. The loss for these three building was set at $200,000.00. Located across the street from Dreamland, on Surf Avenue and W. 5th Street, the firemen had visions of the Island burning again. The new high pressure water system was ordered turn on and several hose lines, hooked to the hydrants were soon operating. The fire was held to these three buildings. The new high pressure system saved the Island from burning. With the new water system the big fires of the past appear to be a distant memory.
Dreamland open its doors in 1904 and cost $3.5 million to build. It was located on Surf Avenue between W. 10th and W. 5th Streets to the ocean. A 400 foot long iron pier stretched from the park out over the ocean. The park was laid out with wide walkways and sites, like the Canals of Venice, the waterfalls of Pompeii, and the Tower of Seville. Attractions included the Leap Frog Railway, the Fighting Flame Show, Chariot races and the Hellgate, a cross between the water rides of today and the Tunnel of Love ride. Dreamland also had one of the first "wild animal" park, though be it in cages. On the morning of opening day, May 27, 1911, Dreamland would change forever.
The fire started around 2 A.M., from an explosion of some light bulbs that were near a pail of tar in the Hellgate that was being repaired. Built of pine, paper mache and freshly painted for the new season, the fire spread very quickly. The high pressure water system was down for repairs. Instead of water pressure being 150 pounds, it was meager 25 pounds. The Tower of Seville, was 80 feet tall and could be seen over ten miles out to sea when the lights were turned on at night, burnt in thirty minutes. The fire spread through out the park trapping the wild animals. Some of the animals had escaped and were driven mad by the flames, were fighting each other before being consumed by the flames. One lion escaped into the streets with its' mane on fire, frightening everybody, including the firemen. The police cornered the frighten lion and pumped him with bullets to no avail. The lion charged the policemen and was hit in the head by an ax, that one of the policemen had borrowed. All of the animals were destroyed in the fire. The fire also spread to the 400 foot long iron pier used by excursion boats from Manhattan. It also had several restaurants and fishing areas on it. Nobody thought of notifying these people of the fire, trapping several fishermen and restaurant workers. They were rescued by a police boat.
By the time the fire was out a total of fourteen acres from W. 5th Street to W. 12th Street, were burnt and destroyed. The only thing to save Coney Island from completely being wiped out was the shift in the wind. It changed direction, blowing the fire toward the ocean and away from the buildings. The fire went to a fifth alarm and two Borough Calls, (a 3rd alarm assignment in another Borough that responded to this fire). As beautiful as Dreamland was it was never a profitable operation and was never rebuilt. The loss was estimated between $3,000,000.00 and $5,000,000.00. The land was turned over to the City and made into a park. Today, the New York Aquarium sits on the famous Dreamland site.
It would be twenty one years before the next big one would strike the Island. This "Big One" was not in the amusement area but, mostly a residential area that has not been visited by fire. Before the day was over, Wednesday, July 13, 1932, five blocks, would be wiped out. The fire was started by four boys doing their civic duty of cleaning up rubbish under the Boardwalk at W. 22nd Street. With no place to put the rubbish, they decided to burnt it. The rubbish was tinder dry and a forty mile an hour wind was blowing off of the water. The first alarm was transmitted from the box at Neptune Avenue and W. 21 Street, three block away at 3:14 P.M.. A minor fire and probably not visible, it was made a false alarm. The next alarm received was at 3:26 P.M., bring Engines 318, 244, 245, Ladders 166, 161, and Battalion 43 to the fire's location. The companies attack the fire that had spread to several concession stands by the time first company had arrived. Due to the high winds, the flames were jumping at will and setting buildings on fire behind the fire lines. The fire burned from W. 21st Street to W. 24th Street, along the Boardwalk, to Surf Avenue and to Railroad Avenue between W. 22nd and 23rd Streets.
A total of 178 building were destroyed. These included; seventy five, one story, eighteen, two story buildings, fifty six, three story buildings, four, four story buildings, one, six story apartment building, housing over 200 families, twenty four bath houses, and over 100 automobiles. The fire took a fifth alarm response pus two Borough calls and the recall of the off going shift at 6 P.M. to stay in the firehouses until the fire was under control at 12:32, the next morning. A total of forty three engines, twelve ladders, two rescues, one search light, two fireboats, one ambulance and two gasoline fuel trucks responded along with sixty men without apparatus. The fire left over 1000 homeless and over $5,000,000.00 in property damage. The one good thing coming out of this fire was that $400,000.00 would be used for a new high pressure water system.
The next great fire of Coney Island was at Luna Park on August 12, 1944. The Park opened in 1903 and cost $600,000.00 to build. The park contained 38 acres and was located on the north side of Surf Avenue between W. 8th & 12th Streets to Neptune Avenue. One of the main attractions when the park opened was the Trip to the Moon ride. In a dark room people would board spaceships and travel to the moon and outer space. The Park was decked out with over 1,000,000 light bulbs on every building. In the beginning a large crowd at Luna Park would be around 80,000 to 90,000 per day. The first year 4,800.000 people visited Luna Park, making it one of the most profitable of the amusement parks. By the time of the fire a good crowd would be under 20,000 per day.
The fire started in the washroom of the "Dragon Gorge" a roller-coaster that was made of wood and measured 60 feet high, 100 feet deep and, 90 feet wide in the front. As with all the other fires in the area, employees try to put out the blaze before calling the fire department. The delay in sending in the alarm by several minutes help to spread the blaze. Within 25 minutes of the first alarm at 3:45 P.M., five alarms were transmitted, bring twenty six engines and eight ladder companies to the fire. The high pressure system was boosted up to 175 pounds of pressure. After the fifth alarm a simultaneous call (a fifth alarm assignment) for Brooklyn Box 1227 (8th Ave. & Union St.) was transmitted for a total of sixty two companies operating. During the height of the blaze, the 125 foot Coca Cola tower came crashing down missing several companies operating near the tower. Due to the flying embers, many places were in grave danger of burning also. On of these, was the Brooklyn Borough Gas Company gas tanks. Unfortunately several blocks away, twenty old wooden BMT railroad cars started to burn. This went to four alarms just to get enough equipment and men to handle this fire. The Park fire was under control after 5:00 P.M.. A total of twenty eight rides were destroyed, about half of Luna Park. Thirty five people were injured, and the lost was placed at $500,000.00.
The last of the big fires was on May 12, 1947. The fire started in rubbish behind 1228 Surf Avenue. This fire burnt through a dozen or so building between Surf Avenue to Bowery Street, and Henderson Walk to W. 12th Street. This area has been wiped out by fire on at least three other times. The fire was a fifth alarm assignment and injured forty five people, mostly firemen. Today, this area is just west of the Astroland amusement park.
Over the last one hundred years, there has been hundreds of other fires. The above stories are the biggest to visit Coney Island. Some of the other fires include, Steeplechase, again in 1939, Cox Baths, in the fall of 1939, Mardi Gras in 1940, and the Chamber of Commerce, just to name a few."


1911 Dreamland fire: 


http://www.westland.net/coneyisland/articles/dreamlandfire.htm

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/guest-restore-historic-roar-coney-island-recovered-1911-dreamland-fire-article-1.129112


1925: http://www.gendisasters.com/data1/ny/fires/coneyis-fire-apr1925.htm

1932:  178 residential buildings destroyed - started Boardwalk and W 22nd street

1944 Luna Park: destroyed Luna Park amusement area along boardwalk:


1947: 12 buildings destroyed on Surf Avenue

Engine 245 LODDs:

FF Gottfried Messerli - July 29, 1907 - Steeplechase Park fire - FF Messerli hit in the head by a falling beam. He died on August 2nd has result of the injuries.  RIP.

     


Captain Charles Furey - February 14, 1930  - "A veteran with thirty-nine years of service in the Department, died from suffocation while fighting a small blaze in an unoccupied candy stand at West 10th Street and the Boardwalk, Coney Island. Captain Furey, who was in command of Engine 245, collapsed in the midst of the smoke and was pronounced dead at Coney Island Hospital. The blaze was started in a pile of rubbish. The veteran fireman was promoted to Captain 29 years prior to his death and was Captain of Engine 245 since 1910. He was sixty-one, married and left behind seven children with two sons who were patrolmen in Brooklyn. (From "The Last Alarm" by Boucher, Urbanowicz & Melahn, 2007)"

     


RIP.  Never forget.
 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 11:32:03 AM by mack »

Offline mack

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5300
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY Firehouses Gone
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 09:26:54 PM »
Engine 245 original firehouse - 2919 W 8th St  Coney Island  (1895-1904)  Brooklyn Fire Dept Engine 45  - former volunteer firehouse

Original volunteer quarters are left of former BFD firehouse built in 1904.

Atlantic Hose 1, and Atlantic Hook & Ladder 1 were established in 1886 in the two story firehouse at 2919 W. 8th Street.




« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 02:29:28 AM by mack »

Offline mack

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5300
  • Gender: Male
FDNY Firehouses
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 08:31:17 PM »
Combintion Engine Company 52/Eng 52/Ladder 52 - original firehouse  4550 Riverdale Avenue   Riverdale, Bronx

     CEC 52 organized 4550 Riverdale Avenue in former volunteer firehouse  1884
     CEC 52 became Engine 52                                                                   1928
     Engine 52 new firehouse at 4550 Riverdale Avenue w/Ladder 52            1939

     Ladder 52 organized 4550 Riverdale Avenue                                         1928
     Ladder 52 new firehouse 4550 Riverdale Avenue w/Engine 52                1939

Note - original firehouse at 4550 Riverdale Avenue quarters of volunteer company Neptune Engine 3

4550 Riverdale Avenue:



Former firehouse and current firehouse built 1939:


Engine 52's 1929 FWD hose wagon/Ladder 52's 75 ft Walters aerial


Current quarters 4550 Riverdale Avenue:



 
Engine 52:




Ladder 52:




Engine 52/Ladder 52 responding:





Riverdale: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverdale,_Bronx



« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 09:16:17 AM by mack »

Offline mack

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5300
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY Firehouses Gone
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 08:49:34 PM »
Defender Hook & Ladder 7 firehouse 1721 Victory Blvd  Castleton Corners, Staten Island

     Defender H&L 7 organized at 1721 Victory Blvd           1899
     Defender H&L 7 disbanded                                         1932   

Notes:  - Victory Blvd originally called Richmond Turnpike.
           - Nearest engine or hose company was 2 1/2 miles away
           - H&L company also purchased hose cart
           - Operated as ladder and hose company using hydrant pressure until engine arrived
           - Disbanded when FDNY Engine 163 and Ladder 83 were organized in 1932 in Westerleigh

Members in front of firehouse 1721 Victory Blvd:


1721 Victory Blvd firehouse:


Firehouse in 1916:


Today - bank parking lot:


« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 09:29:40 AM by mack »

Offline mack

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5300
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY Firehouses Gone
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 09:10:49 PM »
Engine 87 (Marine) firehouse - Park Avenue and East 135th Street  Harlem, Manhattan

     Engine 87 (M) organized foot of E 132 St and Harlem River     1908
     Engine 87 (M) moved to foot of E 135th St and Harlem River  1922
     Engine 87 (M) moved to foot of Grand St and East River         1952
     Engine 87 (M) disbanded                                                     1955

1935:


Fireboat James Duane Engine 87 (M) Fireboat Duane in service 1908-1959:






Engine 87 (M) Fireboat Duane crew:


Engine 87 (M) Fireboat Duane - retiring Captain Gorman ceremony:








Site today:



« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 12:32:30 PM by mack »

Offline guitarman314

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5536
    • Photobucket
Re: FDNY Firehouses Gone
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 09:29:25 PM »
Unknown company firehouse - Park Avenue and East 135th Street - Library of Congress picture

1935:

  That was Engine 87 fireboat firehouse at 135th St. & Harlem River under N.Y. Central R.R. drawbridge before the East River Drive was constructed

Offline mack

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5300
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY Firehouses Gone
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Engine 57 (Marine) Castle Garden berth (Eng 57 1981-1895)

Castle Garden - originally a fort built during War of 1812 at tip of Manhattan to protect city; became immigation center for NYC from 1820-1892 (11 million immigrants entered city here); replaced by Ellis Island as NYC immigrantion center.  http://www.castlegarden.org/









Berth for The New Yorker: "THE NEW YORKER was constructed by Julius Jonson, New York, from plans by Charles H. Haswell. With a pumping capacity of 13,000 gpm, she was for many years the most powerful of fireboats. She was the first New York fireboat with a shore station and its house at the Battery became a land­mark as famous as the boat itself. When THE NEW YORKER was ready, Engine Co. 57 was organized and the boat placed in service on February 1, 1891. News articles of the day gave much space to descriptions of the boat and its architecturally distinctive sta­tion near Castle Garden. " - Marine 1 site
The New Yorker:


Today:


« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:22:53 PM by mack »

Offline guitarman314

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5536
    • Photobucket
Re: FDNY Firehouses Gone
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 09:48:48 PM »
No deck guns, just large hoselines strapped down to keep from flying loose. ;)

Offline mack

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5300
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY Firehouses Gone
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 10:09:01 PM »
Engine 156/Brush Fire Unit 3 - Firehouses - 412 Broadway  West Brighton, Staten Island  8th Division, 21st Battalion  "The Broadway Express"

     Engine 206 organized 412 Broadway in former firehouse of Wyandotte H&L 1   1905
     Engine 206 moved to 1189 Castleton Avenue at Ladder 104                            1907
     Engine 206 moved to 543 Cary Ave                                                               1907
     Engine 206 moved to new firehouse 412 Broadway                                         1909
     Engine 206 became Engine 156                                                                     1913
     Engine 156 moved to 1189 Castleton Avenue at Ladder 79                              2005
     Engine 156 returned to 412 Broadway                                                           2006

     Brush Fire Unit 3 organized 412 Broadway at Engine 156                                1997
     Brush Fire Unit 3 moved to 124 Liberty St at Engine 10                                  2001
     Brush Fire Unit 3 returned to 412 Broadway at Engine 156                             2001
     Brush Fire Unit 3 moved to 1189 Castleton Ave at Ladder 79                          2005
     Brush Fire Unit 3 returned to 412 Broadway at Engine 156                             2006                         


Pre-FDNY:

     Wyandotte H&L 1 responded from 412 Broadway firehouse  1892-1905:
         
         
Volunteer company - Wyandotte H&L 1


543 Cary Ave Engine 206 (156) temporary firehouse 1907-1909:

     

      - used by E 206 (156) when original firehouse destroyed by fire

     - Engine 206 (156), the new FDNY company, was battling a 3-alarm fire when their firehouse burned.  Cause of firehouse fire was suspected to be either an overheated stove or disgruntled former volunteer firemen


412 Broadway current firehouse:

     

     


Engine 156:

     

     

     


Brush Unit 3:

     


Engine 156 LODDs:

     FIREFIGHTER JOHN B. DORAN ENGINE 156 June 25, 1914

          Died while responding to Box 383.  MPO Doran was driving Engine 156's new Nott engine when apparatus crashed due to malfunction at 1560 Castleton Avenue.  FF Doran was thrown from apparatus.

     FIREFIGHTER WILLIAM B. BROWN ENGINE 156 December 6, 1955

          Died from previous line of duty injuries sustained. 

     LIEUTENANT FRANK W. PECKERING ENGINE 156 April 3, 1963

         
 
     FIREFIGHTER WILLIAM J. HANLON ENGINE 156 December 30, 1963

         

     FIREFIGHTER JAMES J. MAINE ENGINE 156 April 10, 1969

          Died from heart attack.

     RIP.  Never forget.


     West Brighton, SI neighborhood:  originally called "Factoryville"

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_New_Brighton,_Staten_Island




« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:28:09 AM by mack »

 

anything