Engine 22 - Yorkville - Established 1865 - original firehouse was quarters of volunteer Aurora Engine 45
History - pre-FDNY:
"No. 45. -- Yorkville. -- Aurora. -- This company was organized on September 11, 1826, by Milne Parker, Samuel Parker, Alexander Parker, the coach builders, Edward Prince, Edward Wells, and Jefferson Brown, Milne Parker becoming the first foreman. On May 21, 1827, the company were reinforced by the following members: John G. Kip, Joseph Tricker, Robert Kilpatrick, Stephen Huestis, James Bell, Stephen Harris, Augustus J. Flanagan, and others. Their first location was on the northwest corner of Eighty-fourth Street and Fourth Avenue, and when the tunnel cut through Fourth Avenue, about 1836, they moved up to the old frame house of No. 16 Engine Company, and placed it on the lot on the northwest corner Eighty-fifth Street and Third Avenue. A two-story brick house was afterwards built for them and Hook and Ladder No. 10, the company doing duty from a shed in Eighty-fifth Street. The house was afterwards made three stories high. About 1845 the company had their engine painted white and gold with a picture of Aurora, the goddess of day, on the back of the condenser case. Shew was then christened "Aurora," which name she retained. Philip Grimm, Eli Budd, Alonzo A. Alvord, Rufus Prime, Wm. Fulmer, Frank B. Ball, William Mead, and Frank Bazzoni were the different foremen of the company, Bazzoni serving as such from 1853 until 1865, the longest continuous service any foreman in the Old Department. Joseph McDonald, the colonel of the Forty-seventh New York Volunteers during the late war, was a runner with this company, and John Shelly, brother of Assemblyman Edward J. Shelly, was at one time an assistant foreman and a prominent candidate for assistant engineer. Went out of service in 1865." from "Our Firemen, The History of the NY Fire Departments"
Engine 22 original firehouse 1511 3rd Avenue 1865-1878 (Aurora Engine 45 quarters":
Firehouse at 159 E 85th St w/Bn 10 1878-1960:
Firehouse w/L 13 and Bn 10 at 159 E 85th St: