Author Topic: FDNY and NYC Firehouses  (Read 734777 times)

Offline mack

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4252
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses
« Reply #1650 on: April 09, 2017, 12:48:57 PM »
Engine 292 apparatus:

     

     

     

     

     


Winfield history:  http://forgotten-ny.com/2004/12/the-general-and-queens/


     
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 02:00:59 PM by mack »

Nycfire.net

Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses
« Reply #1650 on: April 09, 2017, 12:48:57 PM »

Offline 811

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 241
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses
« Reply #1651 on: April 09, 2017, 01:37:45 PM »
This should be E287-2 at former Gooderson Volunteer Engine 2 at Thomson & Fisk Aves, later renamed to Queens Blvd & 69th Street.
Rig looks to be a 1912-1913 Mack-Boyd wagon.

Offline 68jk09

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8527
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses
« Reply #1652 on: April 09, 2017, 07:26:40 PM »
MACK THANK YOU.. as usual some excellent info & photos.

Offline mack

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4252
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses
« Reply #1653 on: April 09, 2017, 08:13:16 PM »
Engine 292 history notes:

     The two Engine 292 members who were KIA during World War II have a sad similarity.  Both members fought in major WWII battles, the Battle of Saipan and the Battle of the Bulge.  Both battles had extremely high casualties and both were important Allied victories. Both Engine 292 members, unfortunately, lost their lives near the end of each battle.

FF Colbert - SGT US Army, 105th Infantry, KIA July 9, 1944

     Battle of Saipan:  The Battle of Saipan was a major battle of the Pacific campaign of World War II, fought on the island of Saipan in the Mariana Islands from June 15 to July 9, 1944. The US 2nd Marine Division, US 4th Marine Division and the US Army 27th Infantry Division defeated the 43rd Infantry Division of the Imperial Japanese Army, commanded by LT General Yoshitsugu Saito.
     By July 7, the Japanese had nowhere to retreat. Saito made plans for a final suicidal Banzai Charge. At dawn, with a group of 12 men carrying a great red flag in the lead, the remaining able-bodied troops — about 3,000 men — charged forward in the final attack. Amazingly, behind them came the wounded, with bandaged heads, crutches, and barely armed. The Japanese surged over the American front lines, engaging both Army and Marine units.
     MAJ Edward McCarthy, then in command of 2-105 Infantry and one of the few officers of the regiment to survive the attack, described the scene as follows: "It reminded me of one of those old cattle-stampede scenes of the movies. The camera is in a hole in the ground and you see the herd coming and they leap up and over you and are gone. Only the Japanese just kept coming and coming. I didn’t think they’d ever stop". This charge hit the 105th directly and violently, and the two lead battalions were overrun. LTC O'Brien led the defense in the 1-105 area, with a pistol in each hand and even manning a nearby .50 Caliber machine-gun until he was killed. When his body was found, there were 30 dead Japanese around him, and he received a posthumous Medal of Honor.
     When the carnage of the final charge finally ended, 2,295 dead Japanese lay in front of the 105th's positions, and another 2,016 lay intermingled or in the rear of the 105th's positions for a total of 4,311 dead. US casualties were also heavy, and 1-105 and 2-105 suffered 406 KIA and 512 WIA.  SGT Colbert was one of the KIAs and lost his life just before Saipan was declared "Secured".

     http://www.historynet.com/battle-of-saipan

FF Schmitt PVT US Army:

     PVT Schmitt was appointed to FDNY in 1939 just prior to the war.  He arrived in Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge, December 16, 1944 – January 25, 1945, which  was the last major German offensive campaign of World War II. It was launched through the densely forested Ardennes region in Belgium, France, and Luxembourg, on the Western Front, towards the end of World War II, in the European theatre. PVT Schmitt lost his life January 6, 1945, during the final German counter-offensive of the campaign.

     http://www.historynet.com/battle-of-the-bulge
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 08:18:14 PM by mack »

Offline mack

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4252
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses
« Reply #1654 on: April 09, 2017, 08:16:55 PM »
Engine 292/Rescue 4 firehouse maintenance:  According to the building department, there were 11 building permits filed at this property since 2001. These building permits have a valuation of $990,000.

     https://www.buildzoom.com/property-info/64-18-queens-blvd-queens-ny

Offline fdhistorian

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 226
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses
« Reply #1655 on: April 10, 2017, 12:39:59 AM »
Engine 292   64-18 Queens Boulevard  Woodside, Queens

     Rescue 4 organized 64-18 Queens Boulevard  at Engine 292            1931
     Rescue 4 moved 30-89 21st Street at Engine 262               1996
     Rescue 4 returned 64-18 Queens Boulevard at Engine 292            1997
     Rescue 4 moved 30-89 21st Street at Engine 262               1999
     Rescue 4 returned 64-18 Queens Boulevard at Engine 292            ?
     

Additional info:

     Rescue 4   Temporary   27-12 Kearney St with Engine 316      2013
     Rescue 4   Renovated   64-18 Queens Blvd with Engine 292   2015   
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 12:45:12 AM by fdhistorian »

Offline mack

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4252
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses
« Reply #1656 on: April 10, 2017, 08:49:00 PM »
fdhistorian....Thanks for the info .......I believe the 57 was just started from scratch not from another Second Section i never remember a 34-2.
The new BC57 split the 34 Battalion of that time.  (Thanks lucky, 68jk09 and atlas)

FDNY Division and Battalion boundaries in 1965 and then in 1971:





- Note the additional battalions with no administrative boundaries - 55, 56, 59, 60.  These battalions were created for fire duty in heavy response areas.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:23:59 PM by mack »

Offline mack

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4252
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses
« Reply #1657 on: April 12, 2017, 11:17:43 AM »
Engine 11   437 E. Houston Street, Lower East Side, Manhattan

     Engine 11 organized 437 E. Houston Street at former volunteer quarters   1865
     Engine 11 relocated while new quarters were built                                   1879
     Engine 11 new firehouse 437 E. Houston Street                                       1880
     Engine 11 disbanded – to form Engine 91-2                                             1957

Engine 11:










Former volunteer history:  "Live Oak Engine Company 44. The volunteer fire company was organized August 2, 1824, by the master shipbuilders of the Dry Dock, which was the shipyard district that extended along the East River from Grand Street to 12th Street. The motto of Live Oak was “We Extinguish One Flame, and Cherish Another.”"

"Metropolitan Steam-Engine Company No. 11 was organized on November 2, 1865. It was one of 34 engine companies organized that year under a state act titled “An Act to Create a Metropolitan Fire District.” This bill, passed into law on March 30, 1865, abolished New York’s volunteer fire department and created the Metropolitan Fire District, a Board of Commissioners, and the Metropolitan Fire Department (MFD)."

      - from "1897: Ginger, the Shipbuilders' Fire Cat of the Lower East Side"  http://hatchingcatnyc.com/page/17/


Engine 11 James Gordon Bennett Medals:

     1875  LT James Horne

               

               - 353 Rivington Street - tenement fire - upper floors
               - Rescued Paul family (parents w/3 children)
               - March 26, 1875

               Previous rescue 88 Lewis Street 
               - Rescued mother and child from attic extreme personal risk
               - December 20, 1874
               - Assisted by FF Charles W. Smith,  Engine 11


     1883  FF William B Kirchner

               

               - 138 Eldridge St
               - Rescued husband and crippled wife
               - Gained access to upper floor by jumping alley from adjacent building
               - March 29, 1883


« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:49:47 PM by mack »

Offline mack

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4252
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses
« Reply #1658 on: April 12, 2017, 11:27:13 AM »
Engine 11 workload prior to being disbanded to build Baruch Houses:

     

Offline mack

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4252
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses
« Reply #1659 on: April 13, 2017, 07:13:57 PM »
Engine 82/Ladder 31 in front of 1215 Intervale Ave quarters - early 1900s:

     
 
     


1215 Intervale Avenue block today:

     
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 07:37:17 PM by mack »

Offline mack

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4252
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses
« Reply #1660 on: April 13, 2017, 07:36:24 PM »
Engine 227 979 Herkimer Street 1940s:

     


Engine 227 423 Ralph Avenue 2017 - moved 1949:

     


979 Herkimer Street former firehouse 2017:
     
     
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 07:46:26 PM by mack »

Offline mack

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4252
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses
« Reply #1661 on: April 13, 2017, 07:41:56 PM »
Ladder 171  402 Beach 169th St. at Engine 329 1970s:

     


Disbanded November 22, 1975

Offline mack

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4252
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses
« Reply #1662 on: April 13, 2017, 07:52:52 PM »
Engine 28    604 E. 11th St. former quarters - built 1880:

     


Engine 28  222 E. 2nd St. current quarters w/Ladder 11 - built 1959:

     


604 E. 11th St. former quarters - 2017:

     



« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 07:56:01 PM by mack »

Offline mack

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4252
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses
« Reply #1663 on: April 23, 2017, 05:42:44 PM »
Engine 295/Ladder 144    firehouse    12-49 149th St  Whitestone, Queens

     Firehouse built in 1915 at 14-09 149th St.  Firehouse moved 1938-1939 to 12-49 149th St.

     Engine 295 organized 14-09 149th St w/Ladder 144    1915
     Engine 295 relocated 150-43 14th Ave w/Ladder 144   1938
     Engine 295 moved to 12-49 149th St w/Ladder 144    1939

     Ladder 144 organized 14-09 149th St w/Engine 295    1915
     Ladder 144 relocated 150-43 14th Ave w/ Engine 295  1938
     Ladder 144 moved to 12-49 149th St w/ Engine 295   1939

     Battalion 52 located at 14-09 149th St w/Engine 295    1927-1928

     Bridge Chemical 64 organized 150-43 14th Ave at Engine 295      1939
     Bridge Chemical 64 moved to 12-49 149th Street w/Engine 295   1939
     Bridge Chemical 64 disbanded                                                   1957
          Note - Bridge Chemical Unit was a converted pumper used for bridge responses.


Engine 295/Ladder 144 firehouse 14-09 149th St (original location): 

     



12-49 149th St approx 1940 (after firehouse moved):

     

     

     


12-49 149th St:

     

     


     

     

     



Engine 295:

     

     

Ladder 144:

     

     


Engine 295/Ladder 144:

     

     


Whitestone fire history:  Whitestone was protected by these volunteer fire companies prior to Queens becoming part of NYC (1898) and FDNY expansion in 1915:

     Whitestone Engine 1  7th Avenue/17th St                  1887-1915
     Hose 1  Park Place/University Avenue                              ?-1905
     Columbia Hose 2  18th St and 7th Avenue                 1891-1915
     Indian Hose 2  18th St and 7th Avenue                     1894-1915
     Whitestone Ladder 1 18th St/8th Avenue                  1871-1915

   
Columbia Hose Company Whitestone - approximately 1900:

     


Columbia Hose Company - race - approximately 1901:

     
   
     


Engine 1 early 1900s:

     

     


Columbia Hose band early 1900s:

     


Whitestone, Queens:

     http://forgotten-ny.com/2008/02/whitestone-queens/


Bronx Whitestone Bridge:

     "The idea for a crossing between the Bronx and Whitestone, Queens had come as early as 1905. At the time, residents around the proposed area of the bridge protested construction in fear of losing the then-rural character of the community.  In 1929, however, the Regional Plan Association had proposed another bridge from the Bronx to northern Queens to allow motorists from upstate New York and New England to reach Queens and Long Island without traveling through the traffic-ridden communities of western Queens. On February 25, 1930, influential planner Robert Moses proposed a Ferry Point Park-Whitestone Bridge as a part of his Belt Parkway system around Brooklyn and Queens.  As the 1930s progressed, Moses found his bridge increasingly necessary to directly link the mainland to the 1939 New York World's Fair and to LaGuardia Airport (then known as North Beach Airport). In addition, the Whitestone Bridge was to provide congestion relief to the Triborough Bridge.

     The New York Legislature approved Moses' plan in April 1937. Moses had raised controversy when he quickly decided to demolish seventeen homes in the Queens community of Malba. Moses argued such measures were necessary to complete the bridge on schedule. The RPA had also said that the Whitestone Bridge should have rail connections, or at least be able to accommodate them in the future, but had no allies on the project, to Moses' relief."  (Wikipedia)

     http://new.mta.info/news/2013/04/12/bronx-whitestone-bridge-celebrating-74-years

Firehouse was moved 1938-1939 to 12-49 149th St. as part of the infrastructure construction.


Ladder 144 LODDs:  FF Fred Ziegler, Ladder 144, and FF William D. Austin, Ladder 144, lost their lives when a small boat on fire exploded.  June 17, 1947.

     

     

     Never forget.


Engine 244/Ladder 144 100 Year Anniversary:

     






« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:54:02 PM by mack »

Offline memory master

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1797
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses
« Reply #1664 on: April 25, 2017, 03:50:28 AM »
As far back as I can remember, the apparatus was always quartered opposite of what the company designations were on the outside over the apparatus floor doors, i.e. 144 under 295's markings and vice-versa. (I wonder if the "Carvel" ice cream store is still on the corner of 149 and 14?