Author Topic: National Purple Heart Day.  (Read 230 times)

Offline grumpy grizzly

National Purple Heart Day.
« on: August 07, 2019, 12:33:29 PM »
Today, 8-7-2019 is National Purple Heart Day. This medal was originally established during the Revolutionary War by General Washington for "military merit" which is still says on the medal's reverse. In the 1930's General MacArthur re-established the medal for heroism, it was later amended to be for those wounded or killed in action. During WWII 1.5 million were made, after the war 500,000 still remained. Those were used in Korea, Vietnam, as well as conflicts since then. I believe this is one award not on anyone's to-do list. I received mine as a result of wounds suffered in action 6-12-1968.
FAC 20 TASS 68-69 SVN. Hue/PhuBai , Boston Spark from 71-79, Chicago 79-15, Bloomington/Normal 2015- present

Nycfire.net

National Purple Heart Day.
« on: August 07, 2019, 12:33:29 PM »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
Re: National Purple Heart Day.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 05:33:19 PM »
 We have members here, like "grumpy grizzley" who have received the Purple Heart for their War Time injuries during live combat. They are OUR COUNTRIES REAL HERO's. They did their job for ALL of us under extreme hardship of leaving their loved ones and friends to go to a far away place. Never knowing if they would ever return home again.

How do you thank somebody who has fought and given up so much for you. Doing this for people they don't even know.

I worked with a guy by the name of Ray Benoit. We spent a lot of years together as firefighters. In my opinion, Ray was One of the Best. I knew Ray had done time in Viet Nam under combat conditions. Just before Ray retired, him and I got together for a little chit chat of our younger fire dept days. Basically the same as most firefighters do who were kind of into the job.

I thought I knew everything about Ray, including probably more than his own wife. But what I didn't know Ray was about to tell me. He said he was drafted and he tells me about his combat days in Viet Nam. For years he never really talked about it.

Ray tells me how he was hit in the femoral artery while under combat. He could have died very quickly but the guy next to him, another soldier pinched Rays artery to try and stop the bleeding as gun fire was going on around them. I think he told me the guys last name was Schultz and Private Schultz NO DOUBT saved Rays life. There were NO Timeouts called here.

Ray then told me that he would go out to Ohio every year to THANK the Army Soldier who saved his life. Today, Ray is living in Florida and still goes once a year to THANK the soldier (Pvt Schultz) who saved his life under combat conditions. Of course Ray received the Purple Heart.

This is just ONE STORY from a guy who left his family and friends to fight for all of us when he was called. There are THOUSANDS of OTHERS.

Those who have received this Purple Heart all have their own stories to tell. 

Offline 68jk09

anything