Author Topic: The Ventures/Days of Doo Wop  (Read 98267 times)

Offline 68jk09

Re: The Ventures/Days of Doo Wop
« Reply #360 on: August 21, 2018, 02:34:07 AM »
Sitting in our living room & my Wife tells Alexa to play "Looking For An Echo" from the Pandora list...it comes on & does sound like Kenny Vance & the Planatones but as we are listening to the lyrics when it come s to the part where he sings "me & Benny & Ira & 2 Italian guys" the words are changed to something like "me & Marty & 2 neighborhood guys" ....  WTF have the PC Police reached back into the Doo Wop era ?  .... here is the original version ...the part in question is about 1:20 min mark... notice the lapel pins being worn which are replicas of the 9-11 Postage Stamp..   
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 03:04:18 AM by 68jk09 »

Nycfire.net

« Reply #360 on: August 21, 2018, 02:34:07 AM »

Offline memory master

« Reply #361 on: August 21, 2018, 06:52:27 AM »
Of course, everything has to be censored these days lest we offend or stereotype anyone. Did you ever hear the acapella version by the "Persuassions?"  It came out before Kenny's rendition.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #362 on: August 21, 2018, 08:23:25 PM »
Of course, everything has to be censored these days lest we offend or stereotype anyone. Did you ever hear the acapella version by the "Persuassions?"  It came out before Kenny's rendition.
Yes the Persuasions one had different names also but i feel Kennys was the true copy (at least in my mind ).

Offline memory master

« Reply #363 on: August 22, 2018, 09:40:24 AM »
Yes sir, you are correct. Kenny's is the better rendition.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #364 on: September 02, 2018, 05:59:39 PM »
 It might have been mentioned earlier here but in the Days of Doo Wop, usually Guys sang about their girlfriends, and Gals sang about their boyfriends.

Every once in awhile they might have even brought some religion into it. Well that sure ain't happening today. But it did then.

Here's one of those songs that might have done such a thing. It tells a story. Kind of a sad story.

But I guess if you get senior citizens discounts or maybe you have already filed for Medicare, then maybe you just might remember this one.

Offline memory master

« Reply #365 on: September 03, 2018, 07:40:32 AM »
Also recorded, the original I think, by J.Frank Wilson & The Cavaliers.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #366 on: September 03, 2018, 08:03:50 AM »
Also recorded, the original I think, by J.Frank Wilson & The Cavaliers.

Thanks "MM". I didn't think that was the original group when I posted the video of "Last Kiss". So I appreciate that information.

Offline memory master

« Reply #367 on: October 24, 2018, 06:22:49 AM »
Sad to report that another personality of our era has passed away. Dominick "Randy" Safuto of "Randy & The Rainbows" who had the hit with "Denise" back in 1963 passed away on Oct. 16, 2018. He and his brother had formed the "Encores" with little success and the became "The Dialtones" before finally adopting the "Rainbows" title. They came from the Maspeth section of Queens and if some of you gentleman know the area, I used to see Dominick once in a while at Ivaronne Brothers Italian deli at Grand Ave. & 69th Street. Rest In Peace "Randy" and thanks for the memories.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #368 on: October 24, 2018, 09:41:58 AM »
 Thank you "memory master". Another one of the GREATs is now gone.

I remember when my buddy across the street from me bought that 45 rpm record with a song on it called; "Denise". He told me to come on over and of course for the next hour or so, we played it over and over again, until we got the words down and started to sing it ourselves. Of course then while playing the record, we would sing that song, in our own minds thinking that "we" are the guys on stage singing this while all the ladies cheered for us.

For those of us who grew up during those days, it was such a great time to be around. It was so much fun then and the music was great. Guys just sang about their girlfriends and gals just sang about their boyfriends. There was no violence in the songs at all. I guess that's why we all still enjoy that music era and still talk about it today.

So here is that song for all of us "senior citizens" of today to enjoy. Then a video about it's beginning.

Offline memory master

« Reply #369 on: October 24, 2018, 12:29:27 PM »
There is another song by this group, not widely played, called "Silver And Gold." I think you fellows would like it.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #370 on: October 24, 2018, 05:01:18 PM »

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #371 on: October 24, 2018, 05:08:37 PM »

Offline guitarman314

• Photobucket
« Reply #372 on: October 24, 2018, 05:44:04 PM »
  KEEPING THE MUSIC ALIVE is: 21 year old "CADILLAC" CHRIS RUGGIERO WHO I am currently working with.   

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #373 on: November 03, 2018, 10:18:18 AM »
 This is an interesting story about one of the biggest hits of 1962. The song was called "The Monster Mash", which was covered here earlier.

But here is a story as told by one of the back up singers and the daughter to the lead singer of that hit song.

Thanks goes to Charlie T., aka "memory master" for this story.

www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8015114/monster-mash-bobby-boris-pickett-halloween-history   

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #374 on: November 06, 2018, 04:59:31 AM »
MEDLEY OF "OVER THE RAINBOW" & "WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD" AS A TRIBUTE TO IZZY  (Israel Kamkawiwo'ole the singer pictured).....This video was played at his Wake....   
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 05:12:20 AM by 68jk09 »

anything