Author Topic: The Ventures/Days of Doo Wop  (Read 54015 times)

Offline 68jk09

Re: The Ventures/Days of Doo Wop
« Reply #255 on: September 18, 2017, 01:36:28 AM »
Tonight I just re listened to the "SO FAR" 17 pages in this thread ....REALLY GREAT... i have forwarded the link to it to some  not FD related but DOO WOP people ....it is a good grouping of DOO WOP History Thanks to all for making it what it is ...also here is an uplifting "note" on Kenny Vance who not only lost his Rockaway Oceanfront house & everything in it including his lifelong memorabilia to Sandy but also battled serious vocal cord issues but he is back... 

Nycfire.net

« Reply #255 on: September 18, 2017, 01:36:28 AM »

Offline memory master

« Reply #256 on: September 18, 2017, 07:15:50 AM »
Chief, that's great news about Kenny. Now we can all go on looking for an echo. 8)

Offline mack

Re: The Ventures
« Reply #257 on: September 18, 2017, 12:10:06 PM »
One member of the Capri's later became a city police officer. They came from Ozone Park in Queens.

That is it "Lucky". Thank you. Now I remember. The Capri's were one of the groups playing at the show and Bouser had said. "one member just retired from the New York City Police Dept".

Thanks Guy, that was bugging me.

Nick Santamaria was the Capris member who was also a NYPD member.  He passed away in 2011.

Nick Santo of the Capris Passes Away

There's a Moon Out Tonight: Very B.O.Nick Santo (born Nick Santamaria), of the vocal group the Capris, passed away on Thursday from cancer at the age of 69.  He had been suffering from the disease for the last few years.

The Capris were formed in Ozone Park, NY in 1957 by Santo, Rosario Morice, Mike Mincieli, Frank Reina, Vinnie Naccarto and John Cassese.  All were in their mid-teens and attended area high schools where they would perform along with churches and other venues.

The next year, they found a producer and went into the studio for the first time (Morice was no longer a member of the group).  The first song cut would eventually also be their signature hit, There's a Moon Out Tonight, but the original issue on Planet Records went nowhere until a collector purchased a copy at the Times Square Record Shop.  The collector, Jerry Greene, would form Lost Nite Records with his friends and reissue the song in 1960.  A near instant hit in its new incarnation, Lost Nite would have to turn the record over to Hy Weiss' Old Town Records to meet the production and distribution demands.

Unfortunately, the group disbanded when the song didn't take off and Nick went into the army, returning home just as the song was breaking on the radio.  Calls frantically went around to all the members who quit their jobs and, within a week, the group was playing at the Apollo and other New York venues.  By early 1961, they were on American Bandstand and the song made its chart ascent to number 3 nationally.

The Capris continued to issue record over the next two years but only three made the national charts and they never again got above number 74.  Nick left the group in 1962 and tried a solo career which didn't work out, so he became a New York city police officer.

Twenty years later, Santo formed a new version of the group who recorded the album There's a Moon Out Again for Ambient Sound Records.  The album contained Morse Code of Love, a song that Nick had started in 1961 but didn't finish until the 1982 recording.  The record sounded so authentic to the 50's sound that stations started putting it in oldies rotations.  It also went on to become a minor hit for the Manhattan Transfer.

In 1999, the group appeared on Doo Wop 50, the PBS special that kicked off the reunion shows that run to this day during pledge drives.  They were inducted into the Vocal Group Hall of Fame in 2007, the same year Nick disbanded the group (a new version has since started).

- http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2011/01/nick-santo-nick-santamaria-of-vocal.html

The Capris:  http://www.electricearl.com/dws/capris.html

Offline mack

« Reply #258 on: September 18, 2017, 12:18:15 PM »
Nick Santamaria - NYPD - RIP

http://ballseyesboomers.blogspot.com/2010/12/there-was-moon-out-last-night-rembering.html

Lead singer of the Ozone Park, NY doowop quintet, The Capris. Born Nov. 10, 1941, he wrote and led the group's signature ballad, "There's A Moon Out Tonight." Santo left the group in 1963 for a career as a New York City police officer. In 1982, he re-formed The Capris and scored a regional hit with "Morse Code Of Love," later covered by the Manhattan Transfer. Santo and The Capris remained active until illness forced his retirement in 2007. He died Dec. 30, 2010, of mesothelioma.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 12:25:10 PM by mack »

Offline memory master

« Reply #259 on: September 18, 2017, 12:47:18 PM »
For you folks that know NYC geography, Nick did most of his career in the 112 Pct. (Forest Hills) and finished up at Queens Central Booking up at the courthouse on Queens Blvd. & Union Turnpike.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #260 on: September 22, 2017, 03:55:44 AM »
Not music but a lot of places from the era...   https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/QoDXTAajEzY?rel=0 

Offline memory master

« Reply #261 on: September 22, 2017, 08:47:30 AM »
Great find. Thanks Chief. Ah yes, those were the days!

Offline lucky

« Reply #262 on: September 22, 2017, 10:24:18 AM »
While on the subject of the Capris, try to find the B side of "There's a moon out tonight. It is titled "Indian Girl", excuse me for not saying "Native American Girl" and had a great beat. Listen to the words and tell me if they wouldn't be arrested today by the politically correct police.

Offline memory master

« Reply #263 on: September 22, 2017, 02:50:32 PM »
Good tune indeed Lucky. You are absolutely correct in your viewpoint of today's society. That's like some of the songs of bygone days that mentioned "gay Pariee." Sorry for the spelling but you get my drift.

Offline memory master

« Reply #264 on: September 26, 2017, 03:45:13 AM »
Sad to report the passing of Guy Villari, lead singer of the Regents ("Barbara Ann" Fame) which occurred on Friday 9/22. Guy passed on in his sleep at the age of 74. Thanks for your music Sir and Rest In Peace.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #265 on: October 10, 2017, 03:00:33 AM »
JIMMY BEAUMONT ...REST IN PEACE...  http://lerant.proboards.com/thread/8628/jimmy-beaumont

Offline memory master

« Reply #266 on: October 10, 2017, 07:11:32 AM »
Great group, great music, great memories! Rest in Peace Jimmy and Thank You for your contributions to great times.

Offline guitarman314

• Photobucket
« Reply #267 on: October 12, 2017, 12:56:39 PM »
   I've known Jimmy since the early 1970's and had the opportunity and pleasure of backing Jimmy Beaumont and the Skyliners on some big venue shows. 

Offline memory master

« Reply #268 on: October 12, 2017, 01:31:22 PM »
I just spoke with a friend of mine, who is also retired FDNY EMS. He sings with the "Fireflies" and said he had the pleasure of hanging out with Jimmy backstage at several venues. Told me what a great guy Jimmy was. Again, Rest In Peace Jimmy and thanks for all you gave.

Offline nfd2004

« Reply #269 on: October 12, 2017, 09:35:13 PM »
 Do You Remember Then ?

3-D Glasses

American Bandstand

12 cent hotdogs

Outdoor Movie Theaters

15 cent McDonald burgers

Black and white TVs

Hot Rod cars

"IF YOU DO - THEN THIS ONE'S FOR YOU".