Author Topic: Were We Better Off Then ?  (Read 670 times)

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
Were We Better Off Then ?
« on: August 17, 2019, 09:30:03 AM »

1) When the legal age was 21 NOT 18
 2) When we didn't have to have signs in 24 different languages
 3) When we had more concern for the Victims Rights rather than the Criminals Rights
 4) When you could wish someone a Merry Christmas without offending them
 5) When we all Pledged Allegiance to the Flag and said a prayer every morning in school
 6) When we had the Draft and every young man had to sign up and serve Our Country if his number came up
 7) When our factories manufactured our own products and everybody could work there
 8) When our high schools didn't need security or police officers assigned to patrol them
 9) When words like "PLEASE" and "Thank You" were often used in our daily routine
 10) When we had fewer gun laws - but less shootings

As a so called; Baby Boomer, I was raised by a father who represented what was called "The Greatest Generation". My mother cooked and cleaned at home. As a young guy my parents didn't need to call the police when I needed discipline. But if I was good, "I'd get an ice cream treat once a week".

YES - "I would do it all over again if I could". Would YOU ?

And for our Younger Members on this site, this is how it was. If you are a member of this site, most likely YOU represent our best. You want to help people as so many of us Baby Boomers wanted to do. We are ALL VERY THANKFUL to YOU. Today "We, the Baby Boomers, pass the torch onto you and WE now depend on you to run with it".

Nycfire.net

« on: August 17, 2019, 09:30:03 AM »

Offline Bulldog

Re: Were We Better Off Then ?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 11:19:20 AM »
We certainly were better off back then. Although I'm thinking that you have the 1st statement backwards. When I grew up at least in New York State legal age was 18 and have now raised to 21 in an effort to promote more responsibility. However, at least in my opinion that has backfired.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 12:56:42 PM »
Take me back .....where do i sign ?

Offline JohnnyGage

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 01:28:13 PM »
Waited for our ice cream next to the exhaust pipe of the Bungalow Bar truck, then rode our bicycles without helmets. I stood on the front bench seat of the family station wagon while dad did the driving. When we were thirsty we drank from the garden hose and later sat in smoke filled living rooms watching three tv channels, munching candy that looked like cigarettes and fight each other to answer the phone when it rang.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 01:52:17 PM by JohnnyGage »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 01:58:02 PM »
We certainly were better off back then. Although I'm thinking that you have the 1st statement backwards. When I grew up at least in New York State legal age was 18 and have now raised to 21 in an effort to promote more responsibility. However, at least in my opinion that has backfired.

Bulldog, I think you bring up a very valued point regarding the legal age.

Interesting but living in Connecticut, I could have my drivers license at 16 years old. Yet as I remember it, I couldnít drive in New York State until I was 18.

But when it came to being legally old enough to drink alcohol, I couldnít drink in Connecticut until I was 21 years old. But if I went over the border in NY, I could legally drink at 18. I can tell you, Portchester, NY was a pretty popular place for 18, 19, and 20 year old Connecticut folks.

And yes, as Dan says, those days of riding our bicycles up and down the street or maybe playing stick ball on the street or touch football in a vacant lot was sure enjoyed by so many of us.

And we donít have to look too far on here to find that Great Doo Wop Music or those Great TV shows in Televison from the Past.

So Were We Better Off ? Well as Chief JK says here: Where do we sign up ?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 02:00:00 PM by nfd2004 »

Offline raybrag

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 02:39:59 PM »
Don't forget the baseball card (one you had at least 4 of) stuck into your bicycle's spokes and held on with one of your mother's clothespins, so your Roadmaster or Schwinn would have that cool rat-a-tat sound as you cruised down the street.

Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline memory master

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 03:13:21 PM »
Yes, oh hell yeah, we much better off and the world was a somewhat more docile and polite place. I'd go back. Who has the genie lamp?

Offline grumpy grizzly

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 06:03:00 PM »
Instead of using baseball cads, which are now worth a lot of money, how about tying a balloon to the forks of the frame?
FAC 20 TASS 68-69 SVN. Hue/PhuBai , Boston Spark from 71-79, Chicago 79-15, Bloomington/Normal 2015- present

Offline CFDMarshal

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 08:52:45 PM »
and anyone in my town or my street had the right to whip my ass if they perceived I was doing something that my parents wouldn't have approved before calling my parents. You respected anyone who wore a uniform. You memorized the pledge of allegiance and the national anthem and you read a bible verse and said a prayer. Yes sir and No Sir, Yes Ma'am and No Ma'am were used frequently and you Always respected authority!

Offline raybrag

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 09:40:28 PM »
Instead of using baseball cads, which are now worth a lot of money, how about tying a balloon to the forks of the frame?

It was always baseball cards.  And, as a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, any Yankee or Giant card was just fine to use.  8)
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline 1261Truckie

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 09:13:54 AM »
Like the Chief said....where do I sign?

Offline grumpy grizzly

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 12:20:06 PM »
As a loyal Red Sox fan I agree with using the Yankees cards!
FAC 20 TASS 68-69 SVN. Hue/PhuBai , Boston Spark from 71-79, Chicago 79-15, Bloomington/Normal 2015- present

Offline Jedi1973

• UK Firefighter and aviation enthusiast.
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 10:17:10 AM »
nfd you echo my thoughts entirely!! If it is any consolation things are exectly the same over here in the UK. Only we have not quite got to the stage of having police and security in our schools as a matter of course, yet!! But where did we go wrong!!?? A mate of mine was berated by a woman as he offered to hold the door open for her!! she took it as an insult!! Talk of removing male and femal esigns of school toilet doors because it puts too much emphasies on gender!!! Criminals suing prisons becuase of the conditions!!! WTF!!!!????

JT
Everybody Goes Home..