Author Topic: NYC Vollie EMS  (Read 10060 times)

Offline rdm258

• http://www.franklintn.gov/fire/
NYC Vollie EMS
« on: August 23, 2008, 12:30:38 PM »
Are they on the 911 system. Keeping seeing on pics of several greater alarms in the NYC area and will see, Bed Stuy EMS or Forrest Hills VAC, are they just buffing or have on duty shifts and actually get the call from dispatch. Thank you. Whats the deal with Hatzollah?

Nycfire.net

NYC Vollie EMS
« on: August 23, 2008, 12:30:38 PM »

Offline FDNY 6012

Re: NYC Vollie EMS
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 02:41:05 PM »
Don't really know much about the EMS units your talking about but in Throgs Neck(The Bronx) there is a VAC that responds to ALS and BLS calls around the area, I don't think they have shifts because they are volunteer but Im pretty sure they have a dispatcher but I don't know much about that. They are next to 72 Engine's quarters.

Here's a video I saw a while ago with some clips of Vollie EMS responding in their POV's.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 02:45:56 PM by FDNY 6012 »

Offline vbcapt

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 05:37:52 PM »
I may be losing my mind but, did those POV's have sirens on them?
When you get promoted, it doesn't make your subordinates dumb

Offline FDNY220122

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 08:34:58 PM »
yes those are sirens

Offline Bulldog

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 09:40:19 PM »
Does anyone know how the get away with sirens on POV's?  New York State law does not allow sirens of personal vehicles for volunteer fire for EMS personnel.  Do they have an exemption or are they just skirting the law?

Offline vbcapt

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 10:14:44 PM »
Those POV's responding with sirens are a lawyers dream. Yikes !!!

Offline FDNY 6012

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 10:26:50 PM »
Those vollies are not only probally breaking the law by using the sirens but they are flying.

Offline rdm258

• http://www.franklintn.gov/fire/
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 01:32:57 AM »
That is insane to allow POV's to go emergency traffic in a large city like NY. Here in TN vollie's are aloud to have red lights and sirens, only if they are an officer of a dept, or a signed off EMS responder by your chief, or if you have a speciality, such as a diver,tech rescue haz mat tech. Reason being can get paged out for a call outside of your local dept's zone and need to respond to that scene. But only the Chief can sign you off and must have a F endorsement on your license, which is stating that you are an emergency vehicle operator. Thank you every one for responding to my question. Rob

Offline tbendick

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • Nycfire.net
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 10:02:29 AM »
In NYS EMS can have Red Lights/ Sirens if they follow Part 800.
http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/policy/01-01.htm

Now most of these cars I see are not following all of Part 800 but sometimes I do see a NYS DOH inspection Sticker in the windshield so they are following some of the parts.

Offline vbcapt

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 12:09:14 PM »
Even with the law & full compliance by a vehicle owner, it still sounds like a very bad idea & a perfect recipe for disaster.

Offline tbendick

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • Nycfire.net
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 05:33:33 PM »
Most don't use the Red Lights.. However Hatzollah has them in all thier cars and they do what ever they want.  They have a lot of power and nobody will toch  them..

Offline tl-ff

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 10:42:40 PM »
Are they on the 911 system. Keeping seeing on pics of several greater alarms in the NYC area and will see, Bed Stuy EMS or Forrest Hills VAC, are they just buffing or have on duty shifts and actually get the call from dispatch. Thank you. Whats the deal with Hatzollah?

Having worked in all 4 systems of EMS in NYC I can tell you that most volunteer Ambulance Corps are assigned a unit designation, however they are for most of the times only called by 9-1-1 dispatchers when the system is overloaded and with jobs on hold in their respective response areas. Volunteers get their runs either by buffing a scanner or by the neighborhood locals calling them instead of 9-1-1. Bedstuy vollies rely heavily on a scanner to get most of their runs but they do receive their share of runs from their emergency phone number they have as well.

As Tbendick said Hotzolah does what they want with imunity from much flak because of their power, and for the most part they will only touch their kind. They look like circus clowns when they show up to runs with numerous guys getting of the ambulance.

HammerHead

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 08:32:08 PM »

Having worked in all 4 systems of EMS in NYC I can tell you that most volunteer Ambulance Corps are assigned a unit designation, however they are for most of the times only called by 9-1-1 dispatchers when the system is overloaded and with jobs on hold in their respective response areas. Volunteers get their runs either by buffing a scanner or by the neighborhood locals calling them instead of 9-1-1. Bedstuy vollies rely heavily on a scanner to get most of their runs but they do receive their share of runs from their emergency phone number they have as well.

As Tbendick said Hotzolah does what they want with imunity from much flak because of their power, and for the most part they will only touch their kind. They look like circus clowns when they show up to runs with numerous guys getting of the ambulance.
Dont forget the 20 fly cars that show up as well.  You have to love those Honda Oddessy's and Escalades that are completely outfitted with smart sirens and 100 different lights.  Just like what was mentioned before,they have too much power,they have their own rules.

Offline LondonMedic

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 08:15:45 AM »
That is insane to allow POV's to go emergency traffic in a large city like NY.
I agree, it's madness!

Unless you're properly trained and driving on lights & sirens regularly, there's no way you'll be competent enough. Do these guys not cause as many calls as they respond to?

Offline tbendick

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • Nycfire.net
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 12:51:47 AM »
It's been an issue for years and won't change anytime soon.