Author Topic: NYPD.  (Read 22996 times)

Offline 68jk09

Re: NYPD.
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 04:16:55 AM »
AWESOME....SEMPER FI BROTHER........QUOTE...... RICHARD B. "Richie" POWERS, Ret PO ESS# 1

From REMA

To all members,

As you all know in the message I sent on 9/19/2012 at 4:07:10 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, informing our membership of REMA member Richie Powers’ (Ret. ESS 1) passing, that he was cremated out in California. His ashes are being brought back to New York to be interred at the Columbarium (look it up) at Long Island National Cemetery (sometimes known as Pinelawn National Cemetery) in Farmingdale, NY. There will be a memorial service for Richie on Tuesday, October 09, 2012.

This is the obituary printed in today's Newsday: RICHARD B. "Richie" POWERS

Once again, I am using someone else's words to inform everyone about something. That is because I could never be more eloquent. This is another example of just that. This is an excerpt of the message REMA member Pat O'Connor (Ret. Det. ESS 1 & Bmb Sqd) sent me.

Guys,

My Father's partner passed away last week in California. Richie Powers was 87.. an American Hero in many ways. Growing up in Hell's Kitchen, the youngest of 7 brothers, he faked his papers at age 16 and joined the USMC. He told me that was the only way he was gonna get his own bed to sleep in. Richie saw battle in the South Pacific during WWII-----the greatest generation-----Richie then spent 32 years with the NYPD ESS TK#1----spending every day helping brother officers, civilians, and sending a few shitheads to meet their maker----But the real reason Richie Powers is a Hero is what he did for our Family----when my Father was killed in the the line of duty in 1971, Richie vowed to take care of us-----and for 41 years Richie was there for us all the time-----we all know brother officers that have gone, but how many partners stuck around for that long...Richie was there for every event in our lives----weddings----Jimmy and me Graduating the Police Academy---birthdays---Richie is being cremated and flown back to NY----His Memorial will be at National Cemetery --Pinelawn on Tuesday Oct. 9th at 11 AM---It would mean a lot to the Powers family and the O'Connor family to have a great turnout of his beloved E-family.

Thanks in advance----------------Paddy O

Long Island National Cemetery
2040 Wellwood Avenue
Farmingdale, NY 11735-1211
Phone: (631) 454-4949

UNQUOTE.

Nycfire.net

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 04:16:55 AM »

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 08:33:46 PM »
MAYOR BLOOMBERG AND POLICE COMMISSIONER KELLY ADD NAMES OF FIFTEEN POLICE OFFICERS TO POLICE MEMORIAL IN BATTERY PARK

Detective Peter Figoski and Police Officer Alain Schaberger Were Killed Confronting Violent Criminals in 2011; Thirteen Others Died as a Result of Illness Contracted During Rescue and Recovery Efforts on September 11th

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly today presided over an unveiling ceremony at the Police Memorial Wall in Battery Park honoring 15 members of the New York City Police Department who died in the line of duty in 2011. Detective Peter Figoski was killed while responding to a burglary in East New York last December, and Police Officer Alain Schaberger died of fatal injuries sustained during the arrest of a suspect in a domestic violence incident last March. Thirteen other members of the service succumbed to illnesses contracted during the rescue and recovery effort following the September 11th attacks. The names of Detective Figoski, Police Officer Schaberger, Captain Barry Galfano, Lieutenant Jacqueline McCarthy, Sergeant Charles Clark, Sergeant Harold Smith, Detective Kevin Czartoryski, Detective John Goggin, Detective Edwin Ortiz, Detective Joseph Seabrook, Police Officer Robert Ehmer, Police Officer Edward Ferraro, Police Officer David Mahmoud, Police Officer Martin Tom and Police Officer George Wong were inscribed on the granite Police Memorial Wall in Battery Park and unveiled during a ceremony today.

“For 15 years this wall has served as a powerful and lasting tribute to fallen members of the Finest,” said Mayor Bloomberg. “Today, we remember 15 who gave all: Two of our Finest who died in the line of duty in the past 12 months, and 13 who died as a result of illnesses related to rescue and recovery efforts at the World Trade Center and Fresh Kills.”

“This morning, we commemorate the lives of 15 officers who, in service to the people of this city, have earned their rightful place on this wall of heroes,” Commissioner Kelly said. “Memorials like this one preserve the contributions to public safety made by these outstanding officers, who patrolled our streets, subways and housing developments, driving down crime and making the city safer for millions of New Yorkers. To all of the family members here today, your loved ones will never be forgotten. They will be remembered forever in the hearts of their colleagues and friends, by the people of New York City, and by all who visit here.”

The names added to the memorial wall are:

Detective Peter Figoski, who joined the Department in 1988, in the midst of the crack epidemic and patrolled the 75th Precinct, where he helped to reduce crime in East New York by more than 70 percent over two decades;

Police Officer Alain Schaberger, a veteran of the United States Navy who joined the Police Department in July 2001 and was among the recruits mobilized from the Police Academy to help with police duties, traffic management and security at Ground Zero. He went on to patrol in the midtown south and 84th Precincts;

Thirteen men and women of different ranks and commands who united in a common mission to aid and protect the city in the aftermath of the September 11th attacks, searching, digging, and securing the perimeter at Ground Zero, and helping to identify victims at the Medical Examiner’s office and secure their personal effects from Fresh Kills:

Captain Barry Galfano, Emergency Services Unit
Lieutenant Jacqueline McCarthy, Employee Relations Section
Sergeant Charles Clark, Police Service Area 8
Sergeant Harold Smith, Narcotics Bureau Staten Island
Detective Kevin Czartoryski, Office of the Deputy Commissioner of Public Information
Detective John Goggin, 94th Precinct Squad
Detective Edwin Ortiz, 40th Precinct Squad
Detective Joseph Seabrook, 20th Precinct
Police Officer Robert Ehmer, 110th Precinct
Police Officer Edward Ferraro, Management Information Systems Division
Police Officer David Mahmoud, 75th Precinct
Police Officer Martin Tom, License Division
Police Officer George Wong, Headquarters Security

Created in honor of those who lost their lives in the line of duty, the Police Memorial is located at Liberty Street and South End Avenue and was dedicated in October 1997. The granite wall with the names of officers and the dates they died are inscribed, a small fountain and the open pool are referred to as the “Sacred Precinct” by its architect Stuart Crawford.

REST IN PEACE TO OUR BROTHERS IN BLUE.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 02:56:44 AM »
FROM THE NY DAILY NEWS.......Detective John Roe, 62, the oldest and longest serving of some 34,000 officers on the NYPD, is retiring this month — and he’s not at all happy about it.

“If I could continue in good health, I would stay working until I’m 70 or 75,” said Roe, who joined the department 44 years ago and holds its highest investigative rank — “first grade’’ detective,

Like all cops, Roe, who serves in Harlem’s 26th Precinct, must retire before hitting age 63 — and he reaches that scary milestone on Halloween.
FAREWELL TO ARMED: Detective John Roe, on the job yesterday with old-timey ankle holster and in his first year on the NYPD at 18.
Gabriella Bass
FAREWELL TO ARMED: Detective John Roe, on the job yesterday with old-timey ankle holster and in his first year on the NYPD at 18.

“I’m angry that there is an age limit, but you can’t fight Father Time,” he said.

He admits he’s somewhat of a “dinosaur”: He doesn’t carry a standard-issue 9 mm Glock semiautomatic but, along with about 300 colleagues, relies on an old-time “six-shooter” — a .38-caliber Smith & Wesson Model 10.

He also keeps a five-shot Smith & Wesson strapped to his ankle.

But in all his years on the force, he’s never used his guns, except on the range.

In a world of texting, e-mail and social media, he uses pen and paper and admits to being “computer illiterate.’’

Asked why he keeps a shiny computer and printer on his desk, he answers, “Doesn’t mean I use ’em!”

He began his storied career as a “police trainee” in April 1968, when Lyndon Johnson was president.

He was appointed as a cop in November 1970 and went on to work in the 40th Precinct.

His subsequent assignments included stints in the Street Crime, Sex Crime and Narcotics units.

For the past two decades, he’s handled murders, robberies, burglaries and assaults, particularly domestic-violence cases.

“I’ve had the most fantastic career. I couldn’t imagine doing anything else,” he said.

He estimates he probably made more than 1,000 arrests and assisted in twice as many.

So, what’s next?

He collaborated with author Reed Farrel Coleman on a mystery, “Bronx Requiem,’’ available” next month as an e-book.

“It’s about a stag party where this girl is killed and they accuse this cop of her murder. The cop winds up hanging himself, and his partner goes about trying to clear his name,” he said.

His last official day of work will be Oct. 26, when he’s slated to have a ceremonial “walkout” as he’s saluted by scores of cops at Police Headquarters.

Due to quirks in the ways pensions are tabulated, he’ll make more staying home than working. But he doesn’t golf, he doesn’t fish and his only real hobby is catching bad guys.

“People tell me about retirement, “ ‘It’ll be good for you,’ ’’ he said. “I tell them, “It’s good for everyone else. Not for me.’ ’’

Perhaps that’s because being a cop is in his blood. His brother, William Kenneth Roe, retired as a captain in 1998 after 37 years on the force. His dad, an uncle and a nephew were also in the NYPD.

Roe will spend time with his two grown daughters, live part time in Myrtle Beach, SC, and travel the world on a series of 30-day cruises that he’s already booked.

Sounds great, but he’d be a lot happier traveling daily to the station house. If only he could.                                                                                                     .....BEST OF LUCK DETECTIVE.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 07:18:09 PM »
TPF Webpage........    http://www.tpfnypd.com/index.html

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 01:21:30 AM »
After shepherding six adults and an infant to safety in the attic of his house on Staten Island last night, an off-duty New York City police officer, Artur Kasprzak, went downstairs to check on the basement. He did not come back up.

Here is the Police Department’s statement, unedited:

During the tumult of Hurricane Sandy last night, off-duty Police Officer Artur Kasprzak, 28, got to work shepherding his family to relative safety inside his home on Doty Avenue, in the confines of the 122 Precinct.

By about 7 p.m., with flood water surging into his house, Officer Kasprzak was able to get six adults (M/69, F/68, F/56, M/31, F/31, F/30) and a 15-month-old male infant upstairs and into his attic to escape the rapidly rising water.

Officer Kasprzak then turned to one of the women and told her he was going to check the basement but would be right back.

At 7:23 p.m., the female called 911 and reported Officer Kasprzak missing.

NYPD personnel from the Emergency Service and SCUBA units immediately responded to the residence using Zodiac boats and Jet Skis, but could not access the home due to down, electrified power lines in the water.

After deeming the house safe to enter, a search commenced. By about 7 a.m., Officer Kasprzak’s body was located, unconscious and unresponsive, in the basement. EMS was on scene and pronounced him DOA.

The Medical Examiner’s Office will determine the cause of death. Officer Kasprzak was assigned to the 1st Precinct in Manhattan and had six years on the job. Previously, he served the city for one year as an NYPD Cadet, and was assigned to the 122 Pct. Detective Squad.

— Andy Newman...REST IN PEACE TO OUR BROTHER IN BLUE.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 01:33:12 AM »
Retired NYPD MOS killed by tree, family injured
Http://www.lohud.com/view...die-Westchester-Rockland

Jeffrey Chanin, 51, of Pearl River, a retired NYPD officer, was killed and his family injured when a tree fell through the roof of their Robin Street home.

A retired NYPD police officer from Pearl River and a Yonkers man also died as the superstorm battered the region with roaring winds and rain, propelled coastal waters over their banks, and shut down trains, buses, bridges and roads.

Jeffrey Chanin, 51, of Pearl River, a retired NYPD officer, was killed and three family members injured when a tree fell through the roof of their Robin Street home Monday evening, Orangetown police said. The tree slammed into the rear of the home; authorities were called at 6:32 p.m.

The family members were sitting together in the family room on the second floor when the tree fell around 6 p.m., said Ray Florida, executive director of Rockland Paramedics Services. The tree in the back yard smashed through the roof of a one-story section of the house where Jeffrey Chanin was found dead, and sent limbs spearing through other parts of the house where other family members were. The tree trunk split, a stump rose about 25 feet and enormous pieces of the trunk were strewn in the yard.

Chanin’s wife, Lise J Chanin, 52, and two daughters were injured and taken to Nyack Hospital. Lise Chanin suffered head injuries, and the oldest daughter, Chloe, a high school senior who is captain of the cheerleading team, was also seriously injured, according to neighbors and an emergency medical technician. Another daughter, Danielle, a 10th-grader, is also in the hospital but her injuries do not appear life-threatening.

A younger son, Tim Chanin, was not injured and called 911 when what appeared to be a 4-foot- diameter tree came crashing through the split-level house.

Neighbor Chris Finch, 48, a service manager, told The Journal News/LoHud.com today that he heard a loud noise and about 10 minutes later saw police arriving. He said Chanin was a retired New York City police officer and “a nice guy with a nice family.”.....................................................................REST IN PEACE TO OUR BROTHER IN BLUE.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 06:59:19 PM »
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- The following are Mayor Michael Bloomberg's eulogy, as prepared for delivery, during Thursday's funeral for Hurricane Sandy victim Police Officer Artur Kasprzak.

"Thank you, Father Wozny. The storm that swept through our region last week took a tragic toll on our city - and it took the life of a young man full of extraordinary promise.

"Jozef and Irena, Lisa, Marta, Agata and Rafal, friends and family: you have my deepest condolences, and my heart goes out to all of you.

"I wasn't lucky enough to know Artie in life - but I've gotten a chance to learn about him from those who did. Ask anyone about Artie and the first thing people mention is: he was always smiling. No matter the circumstances. The more you get to know about him, the more you understand why he was that way:

"He loved his life.

"He loved his family - they meant the world to him, and they always came first.

"He loved his girlfriend - ask his fellow officers: he talked about Lisa every day.

"He loved his job, loved his partner, loved being a part of the NYPD, and he loved New York City. He wouldn't have traded it for the world.

"And from what I hear, he especially loved a cold Miller High Life at Walker's after a shift.

"When Artie was reassigned recently and had to go through scooter training, a lot of guys he didn't personally know recognized him. But he knew why: it's because for a long time, there was a huge poster in the staircase at the Police Academy describing the 3 C's: crime fighting, counter-terrorism and community relations.

"And on that poster, along with the text, was a huge picture of Artie.

"Every recruit had to walk by that poster. You couldn't miss him.

"So Artie became somewhat of a celebrity. People used to tease him that he was the 'poster boy of the department.' Well, in a lot of ways that's true.

"If you're a police officer, you couldn't ask for a better teammate. If you're a New Yorker, you couldn't ask for a better person to be serving our city.

"He was the kind of guy who could work an overtime shift, then be told he had to do another, and just take it in stride, with a smile on his face. He worked hard, never complained, always stayed positive, and was always ready to take one for the team.

"And he was proud to be a part of the NYPD. In fact, he often tried to talk his friends into joining the Finest.

"He got a big thrill out of walking through the crowds in Times Square one New Year's Eve to find a buddy he'd talked into joining the NYPD, so he could tell him how proud he was of him.

"And that attitude rubbed off on the people around him - it lifted them up when they were down and gave them strength to do the tough work that our Finest do, day in and day out, to keep our city safe.

"He had all the things that make an exemplary officer: courage, responsibility, initiative. He didn't wait for others to take action. Officers like him are the reason this is the safest big city in the nation.

"He would also do anything to protect his family - and he did.

"After a tragedy like this, we struggle to make sense of what's happened. We feel powerless, helpless with grief.

"Well, there is something we can do - we can follow Artie's example. We can be strong in the face of adversity, patient, positive, and supportive of one another. We can look at a tough situation, make the best of it, and smile.

"Doing that is the best tribute we can pay to the memory of this remarkable young man - and I think it's what he would have wanted.

"Thanksgiving is just around the corner - and I know it's going to be a very tough time for the people hit hardest by the storm, especially for those who lost a loved one. But I know one thing I'll be thankful for: the fact that there are New Yorkers like Artie Kasprzak.

"People who are willing to put it all on the line to protect the rest of us, who show courage and leadership when its needed most, and who can face life with a smile, no matter what's thrown at them.

"May God bless Artur Kasprzak and everyone he loved. And may God bless and protect the NYPD."

Offline 68jk09

Offline raybrag

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 01:00:29 PM »
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 01:06:47 AM »
Nice effort by the young Officer..... however the shoeless guy is a known Midtown scammer who has walked around barefoot for years as well as sometime cloth less wrapped in a sheet.

Offline 68jk09

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 02:32:16 AM »

Retired cop to save Christmas for Sandy victims

By PHILIP MESSING

Last Updated: 5:46 PM, December 7, 2012

Posted: 4:01 PM, December 7, 2012

Thirty years ago, a rookie cop saved Christmas by reaching into his own pocket to help a Brooklyn burglary victim whose kids’ presents were stolen by a heartless Grinch.

That simple act of kindness by Don Costello, a now retired detective, has morphed into the city’s biggest toy give-away, one that will be celebrated tonight at the 30th Annual Children’s Christmas Benefit, at Our Lady of Lourdes, in Middle Village Queens.

Six hundred guests, including many local movers and shakers, are expected to appear with new toys or games, comprising a haul large enough to make Santa jealous that will be destined for Hurricane Sandy victims.

In 1982, Costello was a new cop assigned to the 69th Precinct, which covers Canarsie and East Flatbush, where he took a burglary report from a devastated Brooklyn bus driver whose apartment had been ransacked two days before Christmas.

The recently divorced victim had purchased two bicycles he hoped to give to his 5-year-old son and 6-year-old daughter, but the bikes were gone, leaving the impoverished dad crestfallen.

“I took the report and went back to the precinct and called Catholic Charities,” Costello recalled, referring to the charitable arm of the New York Archdiocese.

There were some clothes available, but no toys, Costello recalled.

Unable to buy new bikes, Costello did buy presents for both children, telling the surprised bus driver they were donated by fellow cops -- a white lie that left the bus driver tearful with gratitude.

The heart-warming experience made a powerful impression upon Costello, who later became a detective assigned to the NYPD the Intelligence Division, where he helped guard Rudy Giuliani‘s family at Gracie Mansion.

The following year, he and 10 pals rented a small hall for a Yule party and about 80 people showed up with donated toys -- and the event has snowballed from there.

He’s received contributions from the Durst family and Jack Rudin, both noted New York realtors, as well as Fred Wilpon, owner of the Mets and Dick Grasso, former head of the New York Stock Exchange.

The toy collection for this year is so huge, Costello and Catholic Charities will need a 17-foot trailer to pick them up and re-distribute them, a joyous task that will take place Monday.

Most of the presents are destined for hard-hit residents of the Rockaway peninsula and elsewhere in Queens, said Sheldon Peters, community project director for Catholic Charities Brooklyn/Queens.

Costello, a resident of Garden City, noted how several local politicians have slyly approached him in years past, trying to wrest control of his feel-good extravaganza, with promises of a top patronage post if he agrees to step aside.

Despite the overtures, Costello says he’s always politely demurred, insisting it’s all about the kids.

Those with new wrapped or unwrapped gifts or toys can present them at Our Lady of Lourdes’ school basement , at Springfield Blvd. and 93rd Avenue, from 8 p.m. until 1 a.m., and enjoy the free food and refreshments.

Offline memory master

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 07:17:56 PM »
It's not Middle Village,Queens. The church is in Queens Village on Springfield Blvd. a few blocks north of Jamaica Ave.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 12:22:51 AM »
31 YEARS AGO TODAY AN OFF DUTY NYPD OFFICER THE HUSBAND OF A GOOD FRIEND WAS GUNNED DOWN PROTECTING HIS FAMILY....CONTINUED RIP ANTHONY..... http://www.odmp.org/officer/1034-police-officer-anthony-j-abruzzo-jr

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2013, 08:02:32 PM »
From REMA E-mail
To all members,

It is with great sadness that I report that REMA member George Toth (Ret. Det. ESS 1), and father of Steve Toth (Ret ESS 1 & HESSI) passed away on Monday, December 31, 2012 in Staten Island University Hospital. He succumbed to the effects of a ruptured mass on a kidney and other complications. He was eighty-five years old and had retired in June 1990. George lied about his age and joined the Merchant Marine at age seventeen. He served our country in the US Army and was in the artillery during the Korean War seeing much much action at the Chosen Reservoir and at Inchon. He received two Bronze Stars. George joined the NYPD in 1956 and came to Emergency Service in 1959. As anyone who ever met him will tell you, with George, Emergency Service was his life. He earned the respect and admiration of anyone who had the good fortune to ever work with George. He would almost never miss a REMA meeting where he was able to continue the many friendships he had made "on the job".

George leaves behind his sons, George, and Steve and wife Nancyann, and three grandchildren. He was a true icon in every sense of the word and will be dearly missed by all. There will be an obituary published in Wednesday's edition of the

Staten Island Advance. Please keep George and his entire family in your prayers. He is taking his rightful place at the Big Gray Table in heaven with Pat Brannigan, Ray Butkewicz, Danny St. John and so many others who have gone before. I can just imagine what that conversation will be like.

WAKE
Thursday, January 03, 2013 and Friday, January 04, 2013
Viewing from 1400 hrs - 1600 hrs & 1900 hrs - 2100 hrs
Casey McCallum Rice South Shore Funeral Home
30 Nelson Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10308
(718) 317-7600
Maps & Directions

FUNERAL SERVICE
Saturday, January 05, 2013 at 1100 hrs
St. Clare's RC Church
110 Nelson Avenue