Author Topic: News of Members  (Read 197465 times)

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: News of Members
« Reply #1005 on: January 27, 2019, 12:16:32 PM »
Thank you Brad.

Nycfire.net

« Reply #1005 on: January 27, 2019, 12:16:32 PM »

Offline Signal73

• See You At The Big 1
« Reply #1006 on: January 27, 2019, 01:40:27 PM »
No need for a thank you. Just doing my best to help make this site great

Not much sleep when you have a 7 month old at home

Never forget her waking me up when they dropped a 2nd Alarm in Queens lol. Itís like she knew
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 01:42:23 PM by Signal73 »
Remember to take it coming in

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1007 on: February 02, 2019, 10:49:09 AM »
 Here's a little personnel story that I have told to a few guys from this site earlier. But I thought I'd share it with some of you here as well. Because many of you might be able to relate to it.

Recently I had a follow up visit with a new "pretty" lady doctor regarding a little increase in my blood pressure. Really no big deal, but just something that she wanted to follow up on.

So I go for my follow up visit and I'm dressed pretty sharp, just because.......

Anyway, she takes the blood pressure reading and it's a little higher than it should be. I've only been going to her for the past couple months but what I didn't want to tell her is that "I think she's the one causing my blood pressure problem". Whenever I see her, my B/P just seems to go up.

But with a little help from my neighborhood drug store, she says it should take care of that.

BUT - Guess What ? I found out that she grew up in Astoria Queens, she did 6 years hospital time at Wycoff Hospital in Bushwick Brooklyn, and she used to hang out in Bayside Queens around Bell Blvd.

When she heard me rattle off some of those streets that we both hung out on, she was sure impressed. I'm rattling off about neighborhoods and streets that are over 100 miles away. She says to me "nobody around here knows those streets like that". So we hit it off GREAT.

I guess she likes me so much that she told me to come back and see her in 3 months. I told her, "I'm looking forward to it".
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 01:10:53 PM by nfd2004 »

Offline johnd248

• Aux. Lieut. at E. 248 1964-73
« Reply #1008 on: February 02, 2019, 11:51:52 AM »
Don't wear the red shirt; she will not be impressed.

Offline fdce54

« Reply #1009 on: February 02, 2019, 01:39:55 PM »
Don't wear the red shirt; she will not be impressed.
He's got a new pink one.

Offline grumpy grizzly

« Reply #1011 on: February 05, 2019, 03:57:21 PM »
Thought that the term "Paddy Wagon" was culturally insensitive to the hard-working Irish. IMHO.
FAC 20 TASS 68-69 SVN. Hue/PhuBai , Boston Spark from 71-79, Chicago 79-15, Bloomington/Normal 2015- present

Offline 1261Truckie

« Reply #1012 on: February 05, 2019, 04:47:08 PM »
I'm with Grumpy on this one. I always thought it was a reference to a particular mode of transportation for an Irishman who may have had a little too much spirits and was being removed from public view.
I don't know if I would frequent a joint called "the paddy wagon" (ps - lower case is intentional)

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1013 on: February 05, 2019, 05:15:08 PM »
What do the Members think ?

https://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/drink/inflatable-irish-pub?hid=22f06bc67689e95c64ae0d0ab8f4712d0a695a9e&did=334314-20190205&utm_campaign=faw-daily_newsletter&utm_source=foodandwine.com&utm_medium=email&utm_content=020519&cid=334314&mid=18327740111

Mike, aka "mikeindabronx", it seems you have come to the right place for the answer to that question.

With us of course, from across the Big Pond, we have our own expert on Irish Pubs. I'm talking about (Mr) "Irish" himself, aka Declan B., good friend to many here. A young man who has spent many hours in those Irish Pubs exactly where it all began.

We are also very fortunate enough to have with us, a member closer to our home, born and raised, who grew up traveling the Boro of the Bronx hitting every Irish Pub in sight. New York City's most famous Irish Pub Expert, Mr Frank D., aka "fdce54".
 Let me also add, not only in the Bronx, but his work has recently expanded into parts of Westchester County these days.

Of course the City of Boston, aka "Beantown" has been known to have some of the best Irish Pubs as well. Maybe the "grumpy grizzly" might be able to comment on them, being from the Boston area.

So the guys that would be able to comment best on this latest invention of the 21st Century are here among us.

Will they be able to predict the success or failure of this program ?

Will their opinions affect the daily Dow Jones Stock Market readings ?

Should "YOU" invest now ?

Will the term "Paddy Wagon" take on a new meaning from what it used to be ?

Our EXPERTS here may be able to answer those questions for us.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1014 on: February 08, 2019, 12:41:45 PM »
Although he has never been a member of this site, many of the guys here have met him in the past.

He was a buff of the FDNY during their very busy FDNY War Years and into the late 1990s.

As a buff he was a part of the stories in the history section on here described as "My Younger Buff Years" beginning in April, 2009.

He was also a part of history in the thread titled "Oh Those Busy Fourth of July's" written here beginning July 4, 2009.

Recently after loosing track of him for a few years, we caught up again. Talking about our buffing the FDNY Days together. Talking about some of the GREAT People he met from here.

His name is Ken Kelly and he is doing quite well at 95 years old.

A U.S. Army Veteran who served during World War II, he still loves talking about those early buffing days of the FDNY, along with a few other places he would also hang out in.

Other favorites of his were his home town of Bridgeport, Ct., where he would ride with my brother, a member of that department, during their own set of busy War Years in the late 70s and into the 1980s. Also he was a big fan of the Newark/Jersey City, NJ and Providence, RI Fire Depts.

At 95 years old, other than a hearing aid and a cane if he walks far, he's doing very well these days.

He does visit the West Haven, Ct Veterans Hospital for routine check ups once in awhile. The doctors and nurses there are amazed at his alertness and his good health.

In fact he told me a story that I'd like to pass onto you during one of those visits.

While waiting in the office, it was time for him to have his examination. They then asked him, "Sir did you bring in Mr Kelly". Thinking he was the driver who brought in this 95 year old veteran.
He said: "No mam - I AM MR KELLY".
They could not believe it.

I have a picture of him that I took about three years ago in front of the World War II Monument in Bridgeport, Ct (State St and Broad St). I hope to get my friend Brad Y (signal73) to post it here for me. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:26:01 PM by nfd2004 »

Offline Signal73

• See You At The Big 1
« Reply #1015 on: February 08, 2019, 12:43:22 PM »
Hereís the pic Willy asked me to upload

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1016 on: February 08, 2019, 12:50:39 PM »
Hereís the pic Willy asked me to upload

THANK YOU VERY MUCH BRAD.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #1017 on: February 08, 2019, 04:36:40 PM »
I had the pleasure of having dinner with Ken when Willy brought him to Bayside.....a remarkable fellow....glad to hear he is doing well.

Offline Signal73

• See You At The Big 1
« Reply #1018 on: February 09, 2019, 08:24:36 PM »
No need for a thank you. Just doing my best to help make this site great

Not much sleep when you have a 7 month old at home

Never forget her waking me up when they dropped a 2nd Alarm in Queens lol. Itís like she knew

Almost 8 Months already to buff jobs

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1019 on: February 09, 2019, 08:58:44 PM »
 Thanks Brad, aka "signal73", a lot of guys got their start just like that.

Before you know it, the younger Ms Young just might become "Probie Young". It happens all the time.

I got a couple more photos of "Pre-Probies", who want to be some of the next Bravest.

So on this site we have Retired Firefighters, Active Firefighters, and now "Pre-Probie" Firefighters. 

Each one is already into it and have told me personally that they want to be firefighters. I tell them, "that's what a lot of us said when we were Pre-Probies too". 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 09:15:46 PM by nfd2004 »