Author Topic: News of Members  (Read 197703 times)

Online nfd2004

• Global Moderator
Re: News of Members
« Reply #1185 on: June 05, 2019, 10:50:29 AM »
Congratulations to grandson and nephew, John "T", of the Bendick Family on his new job with the FDNY/EMS. He was sworn in today (February 11th) and he will begin his training at Fort Totten in Queens by the end of the month.

John "T" is a great young guy and I have confidence that he will be an asset to the FDNY/EMS, as well as the citizens and visitors to New York City.

I understand that his previous place of employment gave him a party in appreciation for the job he did during that employment. Even a few employees who were off for the day stopped by to wish John "T" all the best.

Of course his grandfather, Retired FDNY Capt John Bendick, and his uncle Active FDNY Lt Tommy Bendick, are the administrators of this web site.

Best Wishes John "T" for a safe and happy career with the FDNY/EMS.

Hey Gang ! I've Finally Settled-In to my new Binghamton Apt. after Weeks of
 Bangin' around trying to get Re-located.

I had been occasionally able to drop-in & see what's happening here...
 now I'm in the New Otr.s w/ Regular Internet Service; (Finally!) You can once again expect
 to see all my 'thoughtful insights' and 'compelling commentary'.   ;)
 Really: Glad to be back 'Home' w/you & back on the Site.   8)

Many Thanks to Our 'Uncle Willy' for keeping you, & I, In-the-Loop.   :)

Joe, aka STAjo", glad that you have finally been able to settle in and join us once again. We hope to hear from you once again and Thank You for your contributions here.

IN ADDITION, regarding the above quote about John T, grandson to our site administrator, Retired Capt John Bendick.
 John T has completed his training for the FDNY/EMS at Fort Totten. That training began on February 11th and he will graduate on Thursday June 6th. Almost FOUR months in the process.

Even though John T was already an EMT, the FDNY/EMS required him to go through that certification again, teaching their new members the way it is done in New York City. John T, DIDN'T just walk into this job. It was a very long process and series of test to get there BEFORE he even started. But throughout that entire training period, John T maintained very high test scores.

During those months of training, the class was broken down into TWO Groups. One group attending DAY Classes and the other group attending EVENING Classes. John was a part of those EVENING Classes.

During his final training weeks he was assigned to ride TWO (?) Evenings per week with members from FDNY/EMS Stations 15 and 19 in the Bronx (very busy areas as some of us know).

Some of the members here know John T., and I certainly respect him for the job he will be taking on. To me, "I consider John T a credit to his generation". He will certainly earn his pay out there and have a direct impact on saving hundreds of human lives of residents and visitors to NYC over the years. 

John T has been assigned to the very busy FDNY/EMS Station 19 on Jerome Ave in the Bronx. The former quarters of the very busy FDNYs Engine 75, Ladder 33, and Battalion 19. The same busy firehouse that his grandfather, Retired Captain John Bendick (site Administrator) worked years ago as a firefighter on Engine 75 and Battalion 19 Chiefs aide.

John T has also been assigned the same badge number as his grandfather - BADGE # 3119.

We wish John T and all the other members of this FDNY/EMS graduating class a Safe and Enjoyable Career. THANK YOU ALL FOR THE JOB YOU ARE ABOUT TO BEGIN. Your skills, training, and dedication could mean the difference between "Life or Death". We are ALL depending on you.

Nycfire.net

« Reply #1185 on: June 05, 2019, 10:50:29 AM »

Offline STAjo

• Former NY State EMT, NYC Security, Buff
« Reply #1186 on: June 05, 2019, 02:47:56 PM »

Our Warmest Congratulations to John T. NYC will be a better City with him Serving.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #1187 on: June 05, 2019, 03:31:04 PM »
Congratulations....Best Wishes to John T. for a great career in Uniform.

Offline mikeindabronx

« Reply #1188 on: June 05, 2019, 07:51:09 PM »
Congratulations to John T.

Offline 69 METS

« Reply #1189 on: June 05, 2019, 10:10:29 PM »
Congratulations to John T. and to my friend and fellow 'Animal House' alumni Captain John Bendick.

Offline fdce54

« Reply #1190 on: June 06, 2019, 06:21:25 PM »
Congratulations John T. Well done!

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1191 on: July 05, 2019, 03:33:50 PM »
Congratulations to our brother, Willy D!  Nathan's hot dog eating World Champion!  Bill has been training all year for this event - at McDonalds, White Castle, Burger King and local buffets.  His many hours of hard work every day at fast food restaurants pays off. We are proud of you!  You are a role model for all firefighters.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 03:36:46 PM by mack »

Offline fdce54

« Reply #1192 on: July 05, 2019, 04:26:55 PM »
Congratulations to our brother, Willy D!  Nathan's hot dog eating World Champion!  Bill has been training all year for this event - at McDonalds, White Castle, Burger King and local buffets.  His many hours of hard work every day at fast food restaurants pays off. We are proud of you!  You are a role model for all firefighters.

Lol, that's just a little snack for King Willy.

Online Signal73

• See You At The Big 1
« Reply #1193 on: July 05, 2019, 04:34:32 PM »
Well done Mack well done
Remember to take it coming in

Online nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1194 on: July 05, 2019, 06:17:36 PM »

Thank you mack and friends. This is NOT the first time I've ever won a prize eating contest.

Way back around 1975, as a young new firefighter probie, the guys were cooking up some great pasta and sauce. Being a young probie, I tried not to eat too much because I didn't know if I'd be allowed to do it. But, the guys told me, "no go ahead, eat as much as you want".

Well, that day I was really kind of hungry, so I figured, "they told me it's okay and there was plenty left over". So I just continued to help myself. I wondered why the guys didn't leave the kitchen table. I think they wanted to see for themselves.

After it was over, they told me, "it was really a pasta and sauce eating contest and guess what probie". "You won the contest". Then they told me "I had some potential". I thought it was about being a good fireman, but I later found out they were talking about winning an eating contest.

I had a big following and most of the guys would put their money on me. I guess that's how it all started. I am no longer that slim 185 lb probie that I was back in 1975. But I sure won a lot of contest.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 06:21:20 PM by nfd2004 »

Offline johnd248

• Aux. Lieut. at E. 248 1964-73
« Reply #1195 on: July 06, 2019, 09:57:45 AM »
Don't be so hard on yourself, Willy D!

Online Signal73

• See You At The Big 1
« Reply #1196 on: July 07, 2019, 08:57:02 PM »
No need for a thank you. Just doing my best to help make this site great

Not much sleep when you have a 7 month old at home

Never forget her waking me up when they dropped a 2nd Alarm in Queens lol. Itís like she knew

Almost 8 Months already to buff jobs

And at just shy of 10 Months. She along with her brother buffed their 1st in Manhattan

Christian took in a 2nd Alarm in Da Bronx today

Every time we go to New York he seems to catch work

Few weeks ago he caught a car fire in Coney Island

Offline STAjo

• Former NY State EMT, NYC Security, Buff
« Reply #1197 on: July 08, 2019, 01:24:43 AM »

'Signal73'
 "Almost 8 Months already to buff jobs"

Great Stuff !   8)
 God Bless.

Online Signal73

• See You At The Big 1
« Reply #1198 on: July 08, 2019, 01:57:56 AM »
She is now a year old and has a few under her belt lol

Online nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1199 on: July 08, 2019, 09:04:36 AM »
Willy D asked me to post these ones

Brad, aka "signal73", a long, long time ago, I took in my first job with my father too. It was long before scanners were even thought of. We were on our way home and we could see a lot of smoke. It wasn't too far from my house and we took it in. My father knew a couple of guys there because he worked with them. We stayed there a pretty long time and I was sure impressed watching those guys doing the same kind of job that my father was doing.

A little while goes by and I get a brand new bicycle for my birthday. I could go pretty fast with it, so I start chasing the fire trucks whenever I hear them. Sometimes I could see some smoke and I didn't have to go looking for them.

The years go by and now I get my own car. Just about that time crystal controlled radios start to come out and now I can hear the calls as they happen. I'm chasing the calls all over the City of Bridgeport. It becomes my favorite hobby. I watch those guys work and just how they do it. I see them putting the aerial ladder to the roof and climbing it with tools. I see the guys stretching lines and hooking up to the hydrant. I even stay to watch the guys pick up the hose and roll it up.

I'm out there in all kinds of weather, it didn't matter if it was the coldest January nights or the hottest August days. "I was hooked".

Then a buddy of mine says to me; "Willy, you're not listening to New York on your scanner" ? I'm hearing it on "his" scanner while we talk. Turns out that it's Manhattan on 154.25 MHz, the same as nearby Milford, Ct. So my buffing days of the FDNY are about to begin. Around the same time I get invited to ride with Rescue 2 by a firefighter at Engine 210, while I was working at a drug store. "I am totally hooked". The timing is perfect. Now I'm riding Rescue 2 and I also start to chase the fires in Harlem. The FDNY War Years are beginning.

Then "Report from Engine 82" comes out. Now I'm chasing fires in the South Bronx AND Harlem. The place is burning up. Every time I go there I'm watching these guys work. Plus I'm still chasing fires in Bridgeport.

Around 1976/1977, Bushwick is burning heavy. I head out there and I am introduced to more fire activity. Places like Williamsburg, Bed-Sty, and Brownsville are burning too. But I think most of you guys heard this story before.

Well Brad, "signal73", my point is: I guess it all started about the same time when I was Christian's age. And it all started with my father taking me to buff a fire. That was maybe........64-65 years ago ?

I guess as the years have gone by, I don't chase too many fires these days. But I still enjoy watching the videos and seeing the pictures the guys post on this site and guys like you who give us the rundowns on the jobs. Not only the FDNY - but all over.

Maybe in the not too distant future, young guys like your son Christian, and the young fire buffs posted in those pictures will someday do what so many of us do these days. Buffing the jobs and maybe even a few becoming firefighters. "Yes, I think they all have the makings".