Author Topic: News of Members  (Read 232126 times)

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
Re: News of Members
« Reply #1230 on: August 26, 2019, 07:04:45 PM »
 We have some very special news from site member Johnny D, aka "johnd248".

Late September and early October Johnny D will be doing Two Opera Performances of Pagliacci in Old Saybrook, Ct and Westerly, RI.

This year will be his 11th year in opera singing.

So with that said, Famous Opera Singer Samuel Ramey, you better move over because our Johnny D is on his way.

Here is Samuel Ramey at his very best singing "The Impossible Dream". Sammy, you better work a little harder than this if you want to try to out sing our man Mr Johnny D, aka "johnd248".

Nycfire.net

« Reply #1230 on: August 26, 2019, 07:04:45 PM »

Offline johnd248

• Aux. Lieut. at E. 248 1964-73
« Reply #1231 on: September 07, 2019, 11:23:28 AM »
Coincidence or not??  At 1AM on 9/7, Bridgeport (CT) operated at a working fire on Main Street where heavy fire was through the roof of a McDonalds.  Since Willy D is from Bridgeport, and has a definite fondness for Big Macs, I would imagine the Bridgeport Fire Marshals will be contacting Uncle Wilfred to see if he has an alibi for that time frame.  The fire went to an exterior attack and that it is not good for the Big Macs and fries.

Offline raybrag

« Reply #1232 on: September 07, 2019, 11:45:59 AM »
Ease up, John.  After all, Willy is gonna STARVE now. Right, Frank?? 8)
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline fdce54

« Reply #1233 on: September 07, 2019, 01:08:16 PM »
I am talking to Willie D right now. He's in mourning. :-[
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 03:16:20 PM by fdce54 »

Offline Signal73

• See You At The Big 1
« Reply #1234 on: September 07, 2019, 02:40:40 PM »
John they also has back to back jobs
Remember to take it coming in

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1235 on: September 07, 2019, 04:48:53 PM »
John they also has back to back jobs

YES Folks, Signal 73 is correct. there were TWO ongoing jobs in that city. I can remember when that was NOT uncommon back in the late 70s and 1980s. Bridgeport followed the FDNY War Years, having their own set of War Years, as fires burned throughout the city.

Coincidence or not??  At 1AM on 9/7, Bridgeport (CT) operated at a working fire on Main Street where heavy fire was through the roof of a McDonalds. Since Willy D is from Bridgeport, and has a definite fondness for Big Macs, I would imagine the Bridgeport Fire Marshals will be contacting Uncle Wilfred to see if he has an alibi for that time frame.  The fire went to an exterior attack and that it is not good for the Big Macs and fries.

Now referring to the post by my so called buddy, Johnny D, aka "johnd248". YES, there was a working fire at McDonalds in Bridgeport. Last night, while under the warm covers trying to keep warm from the cool early Fall chill, the phone lines "lite up". Both my cell phone and home phone. As I try to answer the numerous calls, "guys are telling me, Willy McDonalds is on fire".

Where, where ? "In Bridgeport they tell me". "What street in Bridgeport", I ask. There's several McDonalds in Bridgeport. All serving those nice juicy Big Mac Burgers smothered in that special sauce. Or get the entire meal, including your favorite soda and fries for a great deal. But which McDonalds is on fire. Surely without a doubt, in Bridgeport, McDonalds restaurants out numbers those OTHER Fast Food Places. With FOUR McDonalds that I know of in Bridgeport, verses only Two Burger Kings, Two Wendy's, One or two Popeye's, and get this - NO White Castles.

So as the calls come into the ole' homestead on both phones, I ask Where is the fire ? On what street ? In their moment of panic they tell me, "Main St, Main St". But which one on Main St ? The one on Main St in Downtown Bridgeport or the one in the north end on Main St in Bridgeport ?

I finally get the correct information. The fire is at the McDonalds on Main St in the north end on the 4400 block of Main St and NOT downtown Main St.

Basically, the 4400 Main St McDonalds does not present a significant exposure problem and has a large parking lot. On the other hand, had that fire been at McDonalds at the downtown Main St/John St location, things could have been much worse from a firefighters perspective.

But as it stands, until that fire damaged McDonalds is repaired, the City of Bridgeport's North end residents are at a loss.

Another GREAT Job done by the Park City's Bravest - members of the Bridgeport Fire Dept after a busy night and also those 911 Dispatchers that took those calls. I had just a small sample of what it must have been like answering those phones.

So lets hear it for Bridgeport's Bravest and those Park City 911 Emergency Dispatchers.

Offline fdce54

« Reply #1236 on: September 07, 2019, 05:37:20 PM »
Coincidence or not??  At 1AM on 9/7, Bridgeport (CT) operated at a working fire on Main Street where heavy fire was through the roof of a McDonalds.  Since Willy D is from Bridgeport, and has a definite fondness for Big Macs, I would imagine the Bridgeport Fire Marshals will be contacting Uncle Wilfred to see if he has an alibi for that time frame.  The fire went to an exterior attack and that it is not good for the Big Macs and fries.
John, our Uncle Wilfred would never, ever do any harm to any McDonalds anywhere on this planet. He worships Mickey D's. I can vouch for him when it comes to McDonalds. He is innocent of any allegations. As to his where about's, he called me last night at about 8pm. He was already nestled into his flannel footie pajamas and the electric blanket was already on the bed in preparation for a cool late summer's night. And besides, 1am is well past his bedtime. I rest my case.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 08:36:50 PM by fdce54 »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1237 on: September 07, 2019, 06:44:45 PM »
John, our Uncle Wilfred would never, ever do any harm to any McDonalds anywhere on this planet. He worships Mickey D's. I can vouch for him when it comes to McDonalds. He is innocent of any allegations. As to his where about's, he called he last night at about 8pm. He was already nestled into his flannel footie pajamas and the electric blanket was already on the bed in preparation for a cool late summer's night. And besides, 1am is well past his bedtime. I rest my case.

Thank you to my Good Friend, Frankie D., aka "fdce54". Yes, everything that Frankie states is a TRUE fact.

Frank, I got to tell you, "Maybe if you had listened to your parents or maybe those Catholic School Nuns and studied harder to become a "lawyer" like those nuns wanted you to, you would have been a good one and probably brought yourself out of that Bronx Ghetto area sooner than you did.

But NO, instead you ended up stocking some shelves at an A & P store somewhere down around Elton Ave and 155th St. Then you get some Con Ed job climbing into some of those "rat holes" over on Hunts Point Ave, where even a car load of some Anti Crime Cops what to know what your doing in one of those places.

Well Frank, it's too late now. But regardless I appreciate your better qualities, while fully understanding the abilities you are lacking.

Then I look at my so called buddy "Johnny D", aka "johnd248". A guy who I've known from way back in our younger teenage years. Well maybe NOT his - but mine anyway. I see a highly successful Opera Singer and First Place Prize DANCING Winner (see; earlier post here). People applaud him as they yell "Bravo". A guy who grew up in the tough Flatbush streets of Brooklyn. Yet he made it.

I guess that's what makes life so interesting. It takes all kinds. And I bet unlike me, there's probably guys that would take Burger Kings Big Whopper over McDonalds Big Mac any day. Who knows, even one of my good buddies, Frankie D or Johnny D., would be happier putting down those Big Whopper Burgers rather than the Micky D's Big Mac. 

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1238 on: September 12, 2019, 06:34:46 PM »
 Nycfire.net member "69METS", aka Garrett Lundgren, - Retired FDNY tells of his memories searching ground zero on Fox 13 News.

Garrett, now living in Florida served on the FDNY at E234/L123 (?), Ladder 33, Squad 41, and Rescue 3. He speaks very highly of a couple of other Retired FDNY members here on this site as well. Those members being Retired Capt John Bendick (jbendick) who he worked with at E75/L33. Also retired B/C Jack Kleehaas (68jk09) at Squad 41.

Here is Garrett as he tells his story on Fox News, the day of the 18th Anniversary of 9/11.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/memories-of-searching-ground-zero-still-fresh-for-former-ny-firefighter   

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #1241 on: September 12, 2019, 10:35:36 PM »
Actually the key word is " FEAST " does that help.

Offline Signal73

• See You At The Big 1
« Reply #1242 on: September 13, 2019, 07:33:02 AM »
Willy D asked me to post these photos

Story to follow....

Remember to take it coming in

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1243 on: September 13, 2019, 08:47:46 AM »
Willy D asked me to post these photos

Story to follow....

Thank's very much Brad. I sure appreciate that. "Brad Young, aka signal 73, has NEVER let me down when I ask him to post any pictures for me". He is also a great contributor to this site, particularly when it comes to giving us rundowns on the FDNY jobs.

Now let me discuss the two photos above in our News of Members series.

In the TOP Photo;
 This week I was invited by these two guys to join them in Providence. The guy on the left is Joe Sullivan, aka "Maxim" as he is known on this site. Joe is a retired firefighter from Louden County, Virginia after serving the department for 23 years.
 On his left is Chris Oliphant, currently a firefighter in Washington, D.C. with 20 years on the job.
 Other than the FDNY, Providence was a "favorite" buff city of mine and Joe "Maxim" grew up in Providence. Living there until he got on the job in Louden County. Joe said to me, "we probably saw each other in the streets back then at the jobs". No doubt, he was right. I started chasing fires in Providence back in 1975.

When I met these guys, "it was like we had known each other for years'. It was a GREAT Day. Thanks guys for inviting me.

Both Joe and Chris are heavily involved in the "International Fire Buffs Association" and asked me to pass the word onto the guys of this site. The IFBA members meet up once a year at a selected city. I think they told me their next visit is to Nashville, Tenn in April. One of the favorite things about these visits is that guys all with the same interest get together not only to visit a city fire dept but to talk about the topic that they all have a special interest in - The Fire Service.

To join the IFBA organization the yearly fee is only $10.00/year, and ALL are welcomed. Joe is the Vice President of IFBA Region 3. If interested, contact Joe, aka "Maxim", his email address is:

ifbaregion3vp@gmail.com 

The Photo below is of a few of our well known members of this site.

Recently members John Bendick and Elwood Ervin met up. John was traveling around throughout the country and stopped off in Tenn to see Elwood.

On the left is this sites administrator, Retired FDNY Captain John Bendick, aka "jbendick", and on the right is our good friend Elwood Erwin, aka "CFDMarshall". Frequently referred to on here as "The Reverend", although he is NOT associated with any Ministry Service. That came about a few years ago while he was riding with myself and member Frank Donahue, "fdce54". The Rev, just began preaching to us the holy word, with his southern Tenn accent. It was Great, so that's how he got that title as "The Reverend".

So what might they be talking about ? Well, based on what I know of the two of them, most likely having what is sometimes referred to as; "A Fire Dept Rap-A-Thon", which usually happens when guys like this or many others of similar interest meet up.

I am VERY HAPPY to call ALL these guys "my good friends". That includes my good friend Brad Young who has NEVER LET ME DOWN when posting any pictures on here for me.   

Offline Maxim

« Reply #1244 on: September 13, 2019, 08:50:35 AM »
Willie alibi

He was seen dining with these two shady characters at an outdoor cafe on Federal Hill.