Author Topic: News of Members  (Read 159103 times)

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
Re: News of Members
« Reply #765 on: May 15, 2018, 09:20:29 PM »
I’m happy to hear that as well Garrett.

Sorry about the mix up I caused on the Firehouse second section thread when I confused your father  with mack’s Father.

I wish I knew them both during their very busy years with the FDNY. They were certainly the Greatest.

I would also like to add that a few years ago I was in Fla where Garrett, “69METs” now lives. He invited me as his guest to a retired firefighters monthly dinner gathering. I believe the group is called “The Suncoast Retired Firefighters org”. It was a great time and there were other retired FDNY members and a few guys from this site that I got to meet.

I didn’t forget it Garrett and I took a few pictures and shared them with a few of the guys here who know and worked with you.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:36:29 PM by nfd2004 »

Nycfire.net

« Reply #765 on: May 15, 2018, 09:20:29 PM »

Offline 69 METS

« Reply #766 on: May 15, 2018, 11:17:41 PM »
Thanks for posting this, Bill.  And best to 69METS for a speedy recovery and welcome aboard to Dan.

Thank you Manhattan, under the weather for 6 weeks, I think I'm finally well again.

Garrett, glad to hear your feeling better

Thank you Mike!!

Offline 69 METS

« Reply #767 on: May 15, 2018, 11:26:02 PM »

Sorry about the mix up I caused on the Firehouse second section thread when I confused your father  with mack’s Father.

I wish I knew them both during their very busy years with the FDNY. They were certainly the Greatest.

I would also like to add that a few years ago I was in Fla where Garrett, “69METs” now lives. He invited me as his guest to a retired firefighters monthly dinner gathering. It was a great time and there were other retired FDNY members and a few guys from this site that I got to meet. I didn’t forget it Garrett and I took a few pictures and shared them with a few of the guys here who know and worked with you.

Bill, I already considered it an honor to know you and call you my friend, BUT ... I just noticed that in addition to being a retired fire captain, you also hold the rank of 'Global Moderator'. I realize that you are far too humble a man to ever mention this to me, but now that I've become aware of this fact, CONGRATULATIONS upon your earning this great honor!!

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #768 on: May 15, 2018, 11:58:34 PM »
Garret my Friend glad to hear you are feeling better.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #769 on: May 16, 2018, 06:45:02 PM »
 Just to add a bit here, site member "69 METS", as I understand it, began his FDNY career at Engine 234.

Later he moved to Ladder 33 where he joined another member of this site. His name John B., aka 'jbendick", this sites administrator and at the time assigned to Engine 75 at that busy Jerome Ave firehouse.

Then with the former Engine 41 becoming Squad 41, Garrett joined that company where his commanding officer at the time was another member of this site, then Lt Jack K., aka "68jk09".

Garrett L., aka "69 METS", then moved on to Rescue 3 before retiring from the FDNY. 

https://postimg.cc/image/onn859c7f/  (thanks to photo posted in FDNY and NYC Firehouse 2nd Section thread by mack)

Offline 69 METS

« Reply #770 on: May 16, 2018, 09:55:34 PM »
Garret my Friend glad to hear you are feeling better.

Thank you Chief!

Offline johnd248

• Aux. Lieut. at E. 248 1964-73
« Reply #771 on: May 17, 2018, 09:54:26 AM »
Happy you are feeling better, Garrett.  Great picture of your Dad.

Offline 69 METS

« Reply #772 on: May 17, 2018, 01:16:34 PM »
Hi John, Thanks for the well wishes.

Offline kfd274

« Reply #773 on: May 17, 2018, 02:11:59 PM »

I would also like to add that a few years ago I was in Fla where Garrett, “69METs” now lives. He invited me as his guest to a retired firefighters monthly dinner gathering. It was a great time and there were other retired FDNY members and a few guys from this site that I got to meet. I didn’t forget it Garrett and I took a few pictures and shared them with a few of the guys here who know and worked with you.

Bill, I already considered it an honor to know you and call you my friend, BUT ... I just noticed that in addition to being a retired fire captain, you also hold the rank of 'Global Moderator'. I realize that you are far too humble a man to ever mention this to me, but now that I've become aware of this fact, CONGRATULATIONS upon your earning this great honor!!

I am unfamiliar with this distinction "Global Moderator"   Are you travelling the world buffing now?    No White Castles out there - but you will probably find a Mickey D's.  Congratulations Willy D.   If you are planning anything in Boston this summer let me know. Maybe we can hook up

Offline CFDMarshal

« Reply #774 on: May 18, 2018, 09:09:05 AM »
They are named Global Moderators in order to handle the post from Dec aka "Irish" and Myself since we are both from a foreign lands, Ireland and Tennessee! They are in charge of making sure we do not cause any incidents!

Offline raybrag

« Reply #775 on: May 18, 2018, 10:28:04 AM »
And here I thought it was because Willy was from a foreign land (Connecticut).  ::)
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline Signal73

• See You At The Big 1
« Reply #776 on: May 18, 2018, 10:33:27 AM »
And here I thought it was because Willy was from a foreign land (Connecticut).  ::)

Norwich isn't that Foreign of a land only New Haven lol
Remember to take it coming in

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #777 on: May 18, 2018, 05:32:34 PM »

I am unfamiliar with this distinction "Global Moderator"   Are you travelling the world buffing now?    No White Castles out there - but you will probably find a Mickey D's.  Congratulations Willy D.   If you are planning anything in Boston this summer let me know. Maybe we can hook up

Kevin, aka "kfd274", putting the Global Moderator and the World wide buff aside for now, I do know one thing for sure.

I was sure lucky to be with you and a couple of other guys from this site several years ago. As sometimes happens, several years ago, a few of us got together for a little chow over on Roosevelt Ave in Queens. I thought I was doing so great when I found a parking place right in front of the place. But when we all came out, my car was gone. It was towed away for being in a No Parking Zone. I never noticed the sign.

I remember you Kevin (kfd274) happened to stop a NYPD car on patrol and they checked and found that it was towed to the pound. Then Kevin, I had no idea where the place was. We had called and they told us they would be locking up shortly and wouldn't be able to get the car after that. You gave me a ride there and we made it there by just a few minutes. I sure do appreciate what you did for me and I didn't forget it. I would have been in some BIG TROUBLE if it wasn't for you.

Thank you my friend and I hope to get up to Beantown sometime this summer. Maybe make a quick stop at that Boston Sparks club too. Some great guys there including Paul B., who is the president of that group and a frequent visitor to here as well.

Just to add, as mentioned earlier here, we got guys not only from Ireland and Tennessee but also from:
  New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Ohio, Illinois, Virginia, Florida, Massachusetts, Michigan, parts of New York State, even the U.K.

Some may speak a little different but we all speak the same language.   

Offline manhattan

« Reply #778 on: May 18, 2018, 11:32:09 PM »
"my car was gone. It was towed away for being in a No Parking Zone. I never noticed the sign."  Thanks, Bill; it's out-of-towners like you who keep the city rollin' in dough!!  Come back any time - it's always great to have your wallet you in town!!

And remember - if there'as an empty parking spot in this city, it's like an empty seat on a crowded subway - - it's empty for a very good reason.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:34:25 PM by manhattan »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #779 on: May 19, 2018, 07:49:11 AM »
"my car was gone. It was towed away for being in a No Parking Zone. I never noticed the sign."  Thanks, Bill; it's out-of-towners like you who keep the city rollin' in dough!!  Come back any time - it's always great to have your wallet you in town!!

And remember - if there'as an empty parking spot in this city, it's like an empty seat on a crowded subway - - it's empty for a very good reason.

Yes Frank, aka "manhattan", how right you are. And I will always remember about those empty parking spots right in front of the place I want to go. I know that "somebody" made some money on me that night. I think about $280.00 altogether. And if my friend Kevin, aka "KFD274" hadn't gotten me there about 20 minutes before those gates close, it would have cost me a lot more than that. Plus I would have had to find the nearest homeless shelter to settle down for the night.

I will also remember what you say about those empty seats on a crowded subway. But a few times I was riding on a crowed subway and nobody sat next to me. I just don't know why.