Author Topic: Boston's KME aerials  (Read 2872 times)

Offline 1261Truckie

Boston's KME aerials
« on: February 12, 2014, 01:33:47 PM »
To All,
With the talk that the City will be sitting down with various manufacturers to pre bid conference the next group of rearmounts, and with the possibility (and fear) that KME may try to get the rearmounts as they did the engines, does anyone know, have information on, how Bosteon's three KME rearmounts are doing?
Thanks and take care,
Jim (aka 1261truckie)

Nycfire.net

Boston's KME aerials
« on: February 12, 2014, 01:33:47 PM »

Offline grumpy grizzly

Re: Boston's KME aerials
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 03:40:59 PM »
L-18 blew a trasmission but guys on this site that is normal, no big thing to quote them
FAC 20 TASS 68-69 SVN. Hue/PhuBai , Boston Spark from 71-79, Chicago 79-15, Bloomington/Normal 2015- present

Offline sptruckie

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 07:10:10 PM »
I heard from a couple ffers from boston and they are happy with the ladders and engines. Last time I checked KME does not make transmissions so i dont see how thats there fault. My dept has alot of KMEs in service and our drivers could destroy a tank; no major problems with any of them. Wish they would have won the ladder bid. Saw one of bostons rearmounts in person nice compact truck. Can do any worse than the Ferrara rearmounts.

Offline grumpy grizzly

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 07:52:32 PM »
agree with tranny on L-18, just gotta  say. Chicago is running so many spares  need new rigs pronto. Some spares are 20+ in years.
FAC 20 TASS 68-69 SVN. Hue/PhuBai , Boston Spark from 71-79, Chicago 79-15, Bloomington/Normal 2015- present

Offline grumpy grizzly

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 07:54:43 PM »
Plus BFD just put 5 new engines in service.

Offline BCR

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 09:24:01 PM »
The only thing I see why it's kinda hard  to compare is other city's buy what the manufacturer has to offer fdny makes them design a new style. When you buy one of there designs generally speaking the bugs and kinks have been worked out , in the case of the engines it's a brand new thing for KME. It does sound like the over all consensus is good for recent KMEs hopefully that will be the same with the engines, can they do worse than the ferrara sticks ?

Offline JohnnyBopp

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 11:52:47 AM »
The only thing I see why it's kinda hard  to compare is other city's buy what the manufacturer has to offer fdny makes them design a new style. When you buy one of there designs generally speaking the bugs and kinks have been worked out , in the case of the engines it's a brand new thing for KME. It does sound like the over all consensus is good for recent KMEs hopefully that will be the same with the engines, can they do worse than the ferrara sticks ?

Yes, bugs have been worked out in the regular chassis that a manufacturer offers, but that's not where the problems are on the Ferraras....well, not all of them at least.

The KME's for NYC will be built on a modified version of the Severe Service chassis that they already make.  I would expect that the major engineering was completed a long time ago and all that's being done here is modifications.

Ferrara build an entirely new chassis for this order, so it's hard to compare.  What I will add about Ferrara is:

THE BUILD QUALITY SUCKS!  They're just assembled poorly.  Too many coupling, wiring and joint related issues.  A few of the individual components have been problematic, but a large portion of the issues stem from poor workmanship. 

Offline Stitchy

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 10:35:51 PM »
Boston has ordered at least 3 batches of aeriels and pumpers. They are quite happy with them. As for the transmissions, they are all Allison EVS transmissions. That's the standard with KME.

Offline SFD111

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 10:15:16 PM »
Boston Has
Rescue 2 2009
Engines 14 (ex.33) , 37, 42 (ex. 7) 2010's
Engines 17, 22, 33 2011's
Engines 7, 52, 53 2012's
Ladders 17, 18, 29 2013's
Engines 2,3,4,5, 41 2013's

anything