Author Topic: Staten Island Bridges Quiz - How well do you know the SI bridges?  (Read 4750 times)

Offline FDNYSTATENISLAND

I found this cool little quiz on SILive.com

How well do you know the 4 bridges that connect SI to Brooklyn and New Jersey?

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/03/pop_quiz_how_well_do_you_know.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Nycfire.net

Offline STAjo

• Former NY State EMT, NYC Security, Buff
Re: Staten Island Bridges Quiz - How well do you know the SI bridges?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 11:38:34 PM »

Well ... I Scored %50...But, As an Ole Bklyn' Boy, I'm Happy to say I got All of
da' Vz Bridge Questions Right, Including LBJ !  :D

Offline FDNY793727

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 12:07:29 AM »
Same here, 50%, but I'll admit that was mostly guessing or eliminating answers, just not actually knowing the facts. Besides, I've only physically been over 2 of those bridges so I got half of them right... ;D

Offline FDNYSTATENISLAND

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 12:45:06 AM »
Let's just say you both did better than me ;)

Offline 811

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 07:25:41 AM »
Question 4 is not totally correct, Maybe the Bayonne Bridge did not allow pedestrians until "recently" , but it was not the only bridge to permit them.  In the mid-late 1950s I know I walked, and also walked my bike, across the sidewalk on Goethals.  I don't recall if there was an accessible sidewalk on both sides but am sure I used the one on the south side.  Being similar in design, Outerbridge probably allowed this as well.  I was marked wrong on my answer and still wound up with 70%

Back in those days too, the only divider between opposing lanes of traffic was the line painted on the roadway.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 08:52:23 AM »
811 - I agree.  I am also think the Outerbridge Crossing allowed bikes and pedestrians. 

But how many people walked between Tottenville and Perth Amboy or Mariners Harbor to Elizabeth?

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 09:30:11 AM »
Thanks FDNYSI      Maybe you can find a quiz on SI ferries.

Back in 1960, the VN Bridge opened and the pledge was to open the bottom deck in the future "when needed."  It was needed almost right away. 

The pledge was to expand the Goethals Bridge and Outerbridge Crossing to accept the traffic flow from the VN Bridge and keep SI roads uncongested.  SI Expressway was to link up with the yet-to-be-named Richmond Parkway from the Outerbridge Crossing to prevent Richmond Ave. congestion.  Richmond Parkway construction was killed by Mayor's office due to environmentalists and investors who wanted traffic to flow into the new SI Mall and shopping area under development. Too bad SI infrastructure did not develop better.

There was a concept to run what is now called Father Cappodano Blvd (the Seaside Blvd) as an expressway to be called "Shore Front Drive" from South Beach to SI South Shore.

SI should have had 3 North-South highways, the East-West SI Expressway, 2 decks of the VN Bridge and expanded Goethals and Outerbridge bridges.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 12:15:52 PM »
Question 4 is not totally correct, Maybe the Bayonne Bridge did not allow pedestrians until "recently" , but it was not the only bridge to permit them.  In the mid-late 1950s I know I walked, and also walked my bike, across the sidewalk on Goethals.  I don't recall if there was an accessible sidewalk on both sides but am sure I used the one on the south side.  Being similar in design, Outerbridge probably allowed this as well.  I was marked wrong on my answer and still wound up with 70%

Back in those days too, the only divider between opposing lanes of traffic was the line painted on the roadway.

Both Outerbridge Crossing and Goethals Bridge were opened June 29,1928 to both vehicle and pedestrian traffic.  All 3 SI bridges before VN Bridge originally allowed you to walk or bike across.

- Outerbridge Crossing and Goethals Bridge were first projects of Port Authority. 
- PA police were established in June 1928 to patrol these 2 bridges.  40 officers were called "Bridgemen".

- Goethals Bridge was named after Major General George Goethals who built Panama Canal and was 1st consulting engineer for PA
- Goethals Bridge took 3 years to build and cost $7.2M
- Goethals Bridge daily traffic is 78K daily
- Goethals Bridge current toll is $13
- Goethals Bridge has a 10 year life expectancy and plans are in process to replace bridge  http://www.panynj.gov/goethalsbridge/
- Goethals Bridge never made a profit until VN Bridge was completed
- Goethals Bridge previous route designation was Route 439

- Outerbridge Crossing was named for Eugenius Harvey Outerbridge first chairman of then Port of NY Authority
- Outerbridge Crossing annual traffic exceeds 32M (2006) and 90K daily
http://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/outerbridge-crossing-history.html

Offline STAjo

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 01:09:50 PM »

I Think: That whole 'Outerbridge Crossing' Question is Totally Unfair !

I Mean: C'mon - Ya' Name an 'Outer-Bridge Crossing' after Some Guy Named 'Outerbridge' !?!

Really !  ::) [Yeh, I got That One Wrong....]  8)

Offline raybrag

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 01:44:21 PM »
Just be glad they didn't name one after Augustus Innerbridge, or Rudolfo Partialbridge.   :o 8) ;D
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline STAjo

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 02:14:04 PM »
Just be glad they didn't name one after Augustus Innerbridge, or Rudolfo Partialbridge.   :o 8) ;D

A-huh. TY, Ray !

Offline FDNYSTATENISLAND

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 02:36:53 PM »
Mack, was that planned highway to blame for the "ghost overpass" on Richmond Avenue close to Arthur Kill Road, theres an overpass with nothing ontop of it, it ends outta no where - if you went straight on the Korean War PKWY you would end up there.

Offline memory master

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 02:50:59 PM »
Mack, was that planned highway to blame for the "ghost overpass" on Richmond Avenue close to Arthur Kill Road, theres an overpass with nothing ontop of it, it ends outta no where - if you went straight on the Korean War PKWY you would end up there.

That is correct about the overpass. Also there is a "ghost overpass" on the SIE between Clove Road and I think Bradley Avenue that was part of that idea.

Offline grumpy grizzly

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 04:37:46 PM »
wanna a good bar bet, where is Harvard Stadium? It is in Allston/Brighton area, 41/14 first due from Union Square. 33/15, 37/26/ and 29/11 fill out the assignment.
FAC 20 TASS 68-69 SVN. Hue/PhuBai , Boston Spark from 71-79, Chicago 79-15, Bloomington/Normal 2015- present

anything