Author Topic: My younger Buff years  (Read 509369 times)

Offline Maxim

Re: My younger Buff years
« Reply #1755 on: June 04, 2019, 02:28:17 PM »
Hey Willie

Knows what is at Washington and Dean in Providence?

Nycfire.net

« Reply #1755 on: June 04, 2019, 02:28:17 PM »

Offline johnd248

• Aux. Lieut. at E. 248 1964-73
« Reply #1756 on: June 04, 2019, 04:13:50 PM »
Probably not White Castle, so I am going with Mickey D's.

Online nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1757 on: June 04, 2019, 09:48:19 PM »
Hey Willie

Knows what is at Washington and Dean in Providence?

Yes Joe, aka "Maxim, I was at Washington and Dean St in Providence this past Saturday. Not the Washington and Dean St in Brooklyn. But both good places to be for the buffy guy who likes to hang out.

For those who don't know, that Providence location is home to Providence Fire Headquarters, a very busy place.

During my buffing days, besides the FDNY, Providence was my favorite place to be and that firehouse has always been one of the busiest.

Online JohnnyGage

« Reply #1758 on: June 04, 2019, 10:05:47 PM »
Providence FD

Online nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1759 on: July 21, 2019, 04:46:28 PM »
 This video is called: "War Years - Engine 85". It runs about an hour and 10 minutes featuring members of the FDNY who worked the very busy Engine 85 during those Very Busy FDNY War Years.

In their own words, this is what a few retired members of Engine Co 85 have to say as they recount those busy days. These were some of the guys that were there.

Online nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1760 on: August 22, 2019, 09:01:56 AM »
 I don't know if it has been mentioned here earlier or not, BUT, there are some GREAT PHOTOS and STORIES TOLD by some of the guys who have been there during those FDNY War Years on Facebook, a group called: "The War Years Engine 82 - 85 and Ladder 31 Untold Stories".

I think you need to sign up first in order to view them or to comment.

Online nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1761 on: September 13, 2019, 11:34:06 PM »
 The documentary titled "Decade of Fire" will have it's public broadcast on PBS/Independent Lens beginning on Monday evening November 4th at 10 pm and will run various days and times throughout that month.

As I understand it, people who grew up in the South Bronx neighborhoods tell what it was like. They also suggest that the city encouraged the South Bronx to burn down in order to get rid of the much older rundown buildings throughout the area and did little to stop the arson.

I also talked to some people regarding that, who were right in the middle of it at the time, and some believe that it seems to have perhaps played some part in high incident of arson fires in the area.

One area in which several city blocks had been totally destroyed by fires was an area just south of the Cross Bronx Expressway bordered by Third Ave to the east and Washington Ave to the west, now occupied as "The Bathgate Industrial Park".

Also during this time, firehouses were closing down and firefighters were getting laid off.

Recently, one of the members of this site and I were discussing the fact that "before" any such Bathgate Industrial Park plan was considered, NEW gas and Electric Lines were being installed under ground on Third Ave at that location. Why would that be done to an area with nothing left but a few burned out shells ? 

The Charlotte St area was another destroyed area. But after the fires it became home to Ranch Style homes with yards and picket fences.

Simpson St where every building was burned out except for the Fort Apache Police Pct (41) is now home to new townhouse units. About two years ago, one unit was for sale. I checked and the asking price was $324,000 (?).

"Decade of Fire" talks about that. Was the burning of the South Bronx and so many other places throughout the city a plan to rebuild and increase property values ?

Here is a couple of links that tell a little bit about the upcoming "Decade of Fire" showing.

www.pbs.org/independentlens/film/decade-of-fire/

www.decadeoffire.com

Online nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1763 on: September 29, 2019, 09:34:38 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-THE-VISITING-FIREMAN-1960-FOR-JAKES-VAMPS-BUFFS-EDITION/153661488686?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40719%26meid%3D93cfebfa66de4cc2ad60fbcefd36ad7d%26pid%3D100047%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D153652116744%26itm%3D153661488686%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100047.m2108

The Visiting Fireman was a big part of My Younger Buff Years. I would look forward to getting it every year.

A few months before the next yearly edition would come out, I would receive an application to purchase the next issue to come out as well as get my name and address put in it along with any special interest I had. If I remember correctly I would list my interest as buffing large cities, particularly the FDNY and Providence, RI, as well as fire apparatus photos. The book contained names and addresses of fire buffs from all over the country and Canada (?) along with their interest too.

Once a year I would pick a few places and go on a vacation to these places. Sometimes I would contact a guy from those depts. and we would meet up. Sometimes he'd show me around the place and visit firehouses throughout the city, where the guys would pull out the rigs for that special rig shot.

A few of the cities I traveled to using that book were:

Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, Pa
 Columbus and Cleveland, Ohio
 Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse, NY
 Washington, DC and Fairfax County, Va
 L.A City and L.A. County FDs

The other book I used was published by "fdhistorian", Iggy K., on this site. The book "American Fire Services" listed every firehouse and fire company in those cities along with their assigned radio frequencies to monitor the action. Of course we are talking before the days of the internet as we know it today.

There were no digital cameras and taking a rig shot involved buying film and then paying to get it developed. Then of course hoping that the special photo you took came out okay.

As a fire buff, it was just the right time to be around. I only wish that we had the cellphones of today to film some of the activity.