Author Topic: Info needed.  (Read 4590 times)

Tawsy

Info needed.
« on: May 12, 2009, 06:32:45 AM »
Hi All,

I am a firefighter from Australia. I am trying to get some information and hopefully in the long term get in contact with people who could help me out.
In Australia our firefighting tactics are significantly different to what I understand are practiced in the USA. I am interested to find out more about the standard operating procedures and training material for primary searches used by departments in the US in particular those related to VES. I believe that there may be some parts of these practises that we could adapt to suit us.

If you can point me in the right direction for online info, books or people to talk to I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Nycfire.net

Info needed.
« on: May 12, 2009, 06:32:45 AM »

Online nfd2004

• Global Moderator
Re: Info needed.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 08:09:10 AM »
  Sir, I can understand what you mean about trying to learn different firefighting policies. I know myself that I was a firefighter about 120 miles from New York City, but I used to read all the Manuel's from the FDNY. They had so much to offer and learn from. Every type of building or rescue situtation anybody could face.
  You might want to start with a subscription to WNYF Magazine. Subscriptions for foreign orders are $27.00. You may order it at:
                                     Customer Service
                                     WNYF Subscription Dept.
                                     FDNY Foundation
                                     9 Metro Tech Center, Room 5E-9
                                     Brooklyn, NY 11201
  Good Luck and best wishes from across "The POND".

Offline manhattan

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 05:17:07 PM »
I'd suggest you go right to the top and contact Chief of Operations Patrick M. McNally and/or Assistant Chief Thomas R. Galvin, Chief of Training; both can be reached through:
FDNY Headquarters
9 Metrotech Center
Brooklyn, New York  11201

General Telephone: ++ 718-999-2000

FDNY has a long, proud history and tradition of assisting other fire services and I'm sure your request will be answered.  You've come to the right place!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 05:22:01 PM by manhattan »

Tawsy

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 06:58:11 AM »
Thanks guys,

Quick question nfd2004. Does WNYF cover tactics and training or is it similar to our service magazine that just has interest stories?

manhattan thanks for the names to contact. They're a bit above my pay grade being a baggy arsed firey! Can't beat going straight to the top though. Do you know if they are contactable via e-mail?

Once again thanks to both of you.

Stay safe.

Online nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 08:05:28 AM »
WNYF Magazine covers everything from new equipment, special appartus, major incidents and lessons learned. It really isn"t a Social Magazine, but a Learning Magazine. In fact, as I understand it, the FDNY often uses articles in there for Promotional Test questions. Some of the articles in the latest issue are: Exterior Flashover, MSA Altair Multigas Meter, Confined Space Rescue from Brooklyn Sludge Tank, Smoke Control Research, Tunnel Construction Post-Holland Tunnel, Halon Replacement, and Special Appartus-Command Tactical Unit. It comes out four times a year. For anybody who wants to learn, "I highly recommend it". I also believe you may be able to buy a few back issues too.

Offline rdm258

• http://www.franklintn.gov/fire/
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 09:51:13 AM »
Where can I place an order for this magazine. thank you-Rob

mmattyphoto

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 10:22:58 AM »
Tawsy, you may want to cotact BC John Salka of the FDNY who teaches all across the US. He can be contacted @ 718-430-0218. You also may want to contact Lt. Mike Wilbur L27 FDNY who also teaches across the US. He can be reached @ 718-430-0246. Both are top instructors and well respected.

Offline manhattan

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 10:27:13 AM »
I just realized that I gave you the old web address.  The correction is:   

That also has a link to the McKinsey Report which was issued following the 911 investigations; you might find it useful.  As for direct web addresses for the Chiefs, I know they have them but they're non-published, as far as I know.  As for them being above your pay grade, I wouldn't worry; I'm sure they'd pass the request for information to the right source.  They are professional firefighters, not political appointees, and would understand your needs.  As you said, "Can't beat going straight to the top."

Offline manhattan

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 10:32:17 AM »
Tawsy, you may want to cotact BC John Salka of the FDNY who teaches all across the US. He can be contacted @ 718-430-0218. You also may want to contact Lt. Mike Wilbur L27 FDNY who also teaches across the US. He can be reached @ 718-430-0246. Both are top instructors and well respected.

Great sources.  I'd also include DC Vincent Dunn at www.vincentdunn.com

mmattyphoto

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 01:34:29 PM »
BC Salka's website is www.firecommandtraining.com hope this helps.

Tawsy

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 07:40:27 AM »
Thanks for those that responded to my previous post. I am following up on the leads that I was given. In the mean time I have a couple of scenarios that I want to put to the forum members to gauge how differently you would deal with these jobs. For those that didn't read my previous post I'm an Australian firefighter and I'm trying to get a better understanding of how you guys work your fires.

For these scenarios can you go into detail about how personnel would be assigned and the tactics that each team would use. Also any factors that would effect decision making and how they would change what is done.

I know I'm asking for a lot of info but I'd really appreciate the effort. If people are interested I'll give a run down of how the scenarios would generally go down with us and a bit of background on why we do it the way we do.

Also I know from reading through other threads on tactics that these discussions can turn into a bit of a shit fight. Please can we respect the differences of opinion that will no doubt be voiced and keep an open mind about it.

Here goes.

Scenario 1:

Fairly typical house in many regions of Australia. Brick veneer construction (not sure if you call it something different so that's brick over timber frame). Truss roof. Single storey probably concrete slab floor. Unknown occupancy. Take it as you see it. Ask away if you need further details.

Tawsy

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 07:41:26 AM »
Scenario 2:

I couldn't find a good example of a 2 storey building from Australia that had a suitable level of fire involvement so I did some doctoring. I know it's not great but go with me.
Becoming much more common here now, 2 storey semi-detached apartments. The separation between the apartments will be fire rated. There is an open stair well directly to the left of the front door. Once again unknown whether there is anyone inside and ask any other details you need.

Tawsy

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 07:42:19 AM »
Scenario 3:

A newer design of single storey house. Also brick veneer. I've added this one due to the different window design and the poor access to the rear of the building. I've attached a floor plan to give you a better idea of the layout. We'll say the fire is in the kitchen and going well, probable persons in all bedrooms.

Enjoy guys and thanks.

Offline manhattan

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 11:03:36 AM »
RE:  "The separation between the apartments will be fire rated."

Would you please define "fire rated"; I'm wondering if it might be different in Australia than in many US jurisdictions.

Thanks.

Tawsy

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 11:43:20 PM »
I thought I might get asked that!  :)

It has to have a minimum burn through specified by the relevant Australian Standard and the Building Code of Australia. I can't remember off the top of my head, I think it's in the order of 1 hour at a specified temp. I will have to wait till I'm back on duty to go and look up the relevant codes and standards.

I'll get back to you when I know exactly what the rating is.