Author Topic: FDNY Is Searching Phone Records For Press Leaks  (Read 826 times)

Offline mikeindabronx

FDNY Is Searching Phone Records For Press Leaks
« on: July 20, 2014, 08:19:33 AM »
http://nypost.com/2014/07/20/firefighters-outraged-fdny-is-searching-phone-records-for-press-leaks/

Nycfire.net

FDNY Is Searching Phone Records For Press Leaks
« on: July 20, 2014, 08:19:33 AM »

Offline Bulldog

Re: FDNY Is Searching Phone Records For Press Leaks
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 01:13:26 PM »
I wonder how they obtain warrants to search the phone records?  Since the phone calls are not really criminal I don't see why a judge would agree to them.

Offline FD347

• FDNewYork.com
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 01:46:34 PM »
They might have sent an unsigned warrant with which the carrier complied even though it has no legal requirement to do so. IIRC, AOL did this when the department sent one to them asking for the owner of the screen name to one of it's subscribers that had gained much notoriety.
Frank Raffa
Ret. Supv. Dispatcher, FDNY
www.FDNewYork.com
BCO - RIP
2/22/1923 - 6/3/2008

Offline Bulldog

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 06:56:57 PM »
They might have sent an unsigned warrant with which the carrier complied even though it has no legal requirement to do so. IIRC, AOL did this when the department sent one to them asking for the owner of the screen name to one of it's subscribers that had gained much notoriety.
I've never heard of that practice but it sounds kind of illegal and like something that NSA would pull off.  Wouldn't the provider be subject to a major lawsuit if you found out they allowed access to your records without a signed warrant?