Author Topic: Boston Radio  (Read 5532 times)

Offline grumpy grizzly

Boston Radio
« on: August 26, 2014, 04:25:07 PM »
Effective 0800 on August 26, Boston Fire Alarm will STRIKE all first alarm boxes. In addition they will strike any additional alarms up to nine alarms, will also strike mutual aid covering boxes, 82XX for example. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
FAC 20 TASS 68-69 SVN. Hue/PhuBai , Boston Spark from 71-79, Chicago 79-15, Bloomington/Normal 2015- present

Nycfire.net

Boston Radio
« on: August 26, 2014, 04:25:07 PM »

Offline grumpy grizzly

Re: Boston Radio
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 06:49:34 PM »
Heard my first box transmitted, Box 7611, Long Island. Orders of the Fire Brigade, sound the all out on Box 7611. One of the first things Chief Stapleton did when made Commissioner, re-install the Fire Brigade and re-instate the aides. Closing the FB was assinine, google Long Island.
FAC 20 TASS 68-69 SVN. Hue/PhuBai , Boston Spark from 71-79, Chicago 79-15, Bloomington/Normal 2015- present

Offline truckman

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 09:44:39 PM »
Not to familiar with Boston Fire Department dispatching policies or protocol.  Can you explain for us slightly stupid folks out here What this means exactly?  Feel free to go in depth.   Interesting to hear about this stuff.  Thanks !

Offline Bulldog

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 10:51:16 PM »
What is the Fire Brigade?

Offline fdny1075k

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 12:02:12 PM »
Not to familiar with Boston Fire Department dispatching policies or protocol.  Can you explain for us slightly stupid folks out here What this means exactly?  Feel free to go in depth.   Interesting to hear about this stuff.  Thanks !
The term "striking the box" in Boston simply means that the dispatcher is sending a full first alarm assignment to a certain box locale.

In Boston, a first alarm brings 4 Engine Companies (1 for R.I.T.), 2 Ladder Companies, 1 District Chief, and 1 Rescue Company. If there are multiple calls or a confirmed fire, 1 additional Ladder Company is added to the assignment for R.I.T., 1 of the city's two Tower Ladder Companies is added, a second District Chief is added as the R.I.T. Chief, the Safety District Chief is added, and the Rehab. Unit is added. Thus, at a "working fire" in Boston, there is a total of 4 Engines (1 R.I.T.), 3 Ladders (1 R.I.T.), 1 Tower Ladder, 2 District Chiefs (1 R.I.T.), 1 Safety Chief, 1 Rehab. Unit.

For example, here's what a typical "striking the box" message would sound like via Boston fire dispatch.

"Beep...In District 4 striking Box 1583: Beacon Street and Massachusetts Avenue for # 483 Beacon Street..."

The message would be repeated, then a series of beeps would follow this message over the air similar to the old telegraph system, that would in essence "beep out" the box number. In this example it would be for Box 1583, thus it would sound like:

"Beep (One)...Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep (Five)...Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep (Eight)...Beep, Beep, Beep (Three)" - Box 1583

For each alarm level, an additional series of beeps will proceed the box number, signifying the alarm level, for example, in the case of a 2nd Alarm at Box 1583:

"Beep, Beep (Two beeps signifying a 2nd Alarm has been struck for the box)...Beep (One)...Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep (Five)...Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep (Eight)...Beep, Beep, Beep (Three)" - Box 1583

This process of "beeping out" the box number was discontinued by Boston's Fire Alarm Office for a short time, but has since been reinstated.

I'm sure site member "mack" and maybe Grumpy can add to my post.
What is the Fire Brigade?
The Boston Fire Department's Fire Brigade consists of an Engine and Ladder Company (Engine 54 & Ladder 31) that are quartered in a small firehouse on Long Island in Boston Harbor.

Here's some history about the Brigade and the companies that make it up which might provide some additional information:

http://bostonfirehistory.org/activefirehouseengine54.html

http://bostonfirehistory.org/modernengine54.html

http://bostonfirehistory.org/modernladder33.html

Offline truckman

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 12:55:41 PM »
So let's say a person calls and says I think my neighbors house is on fire.  I smell something burning but don't see anything. Does a full box get transmitted?  Or is it only on confirmation by a FD company of a working fire does the box get struck?  Everything else was explained perfectly.  Thanks.....

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 02:54:14 PM »
Boston Fire Alarm will "strike the box", as explained, for reported structure fires other emergencies, which would send a full first alarm assignment or a unit can request the box struck upon arrival, if not already done.  Similar to FDNY 10-75 signal.  There is dispatcher discretion based upon source.

Boston Marathon immediate requests from BFD members on site was to "strike the box" for explosion and multiple injuries:

BFD Fire Alarm striking boxes for reported structure fires: 

Example of an engine requesting box struck and then a 2nd alarm, on arrival: 

Other New England departments also use term "strike the box"

Offline patrickfd

• Squad Fire Photos
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 11:49:43 PM »
The boxes beeping over the radio are done on the dispatch channel and do not interfere with the companies operating at a fire.

Offline grumpy grizzly

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 04:14:06 PM »
Another thing Boston does is strike the all-out, beep-beep, beep-beep,  beep-beep, beep-beep, followed by the box number. In Chicago they may say: Strike out the 3-11 @ 3100 N Cicero by orders of x-x-x. This just means the fire is under control and (hopefully) no further units are needed. Boston does not sound the all-out until the fire is OUT and all units have returned, except for a detail company if requested.