Author Topic: EMS TRIAL  (Read 13739 times)

Offline anesti

Re: EMS TRIAL
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 05:02:46 PM »
Bill you gave me a whole bunch too.

Is this the one in question??

Nycfire.net

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 05:02:46 PM »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 06:37:35 PM »
Bill you gave me a whole bunch too.

Is this the one in question??

Anesti, I don't believe that is the rig that "68jk09" might be referring to. I think the one might be more of a Scout/Jeep type vehicle. It might have been what some of the EMS Bosses were driving before the merger.

The picture that you posted might be the vehicle that was later painted in the FDNY colors to tow the fire safety trailers around.

Also, as I remember the EMS had a unit very similar to the smaller NYPD Emergency Service trucks as their Emergency Service Unit. I remember being told that the members assigned to it had extra training maybe similar to Rescue Medics of today. I believe that unit was stationed out of East 85th St (?) in Brooklyn. It was an EMS station as well as a shops area as I remember.

Maybe Lt Bendick or M.M. (?) can help us out as I believe they were working EMS around that time.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 06:49:25 PM by nfd2004 »

Offline anesti

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 07:00:04 PM »
last try lol was this it??

Online 68jk09

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 07:08:47 PM »
anesti...yes the Blazer  in reply 17 was the one i was thinking about  as a PRU.....the one w/the utility body & push bumper looks more like a repair vehicle.

Offline FDNY793727

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 07:09:10 PM »
This website explains the Special Operations Division (SOD, which appears to have been based out of Station 33 in Brooklyn) within NYC EMS. There was both an Emergency Response Squad (ERS) and  Haz Tac program.
http://coneyislandems.com/history.html

There are also a few pictures of older NYC EMS rigs here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/av8pix/2585581609/in/photostream/
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 07:10:47 PM by FDNY793727 »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 08:33:04 PM »
last try lol was this it??

Anesti, yes, that was also the kind I was talking about.

79/37/27, you are also correct. There were EMS SOD units out of Station 33 in Brooklyn. That was also what I was referring to earlier. I think Station 33 had a MERV also.

Offline anesti

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2015, 07:45:14 AM »
Here is the Ex nypd esu unit assigned Emergency response squad 1 A Bill Dennis photo
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 07:47:12 AM by anesti »

Offline anesti

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2015, 07:51:44 AM »
backside A Bill Dennis photo

Offline raybrag

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2015, 08:13:31 AM »
White wheels on the left; black wheels on the right ? ? ?  Split personality?   Diversity?  Don't think it's road grime.
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline anesti

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 08:23:34 AM »
Not sure if the pics were taken around the same time or diffrent years lol, nfd2004 might be able to explain lol

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 09:20:13 AM »
Nothing wrong with the eye sight of that "Raybrag". I never noticed the color of the wheels.

"Anesti", that picture was taken the same time. If possible, I would try to get the drivers side front, and the passengers side rear. Giving a full over all view of the rig.

I think I took that picture while it was parked at the FDNY Fire Academy. On my buff trips, that was usually my first stop. I'd walk around the place with my camera and scanner getting all the pictures I wanted. It's not like that nowadays. Security is a high priority now and that is quite understood. In fact, even getting in there for our last Get Together was a very difficult thing to do. It was only through the efforts of site owner/FDNY Lt Tommy Bendick that it was possible. And that was after putting the request in writing by him.

Getting back to that rig photo, I believe that was the rig assigned to the EMS/ESU. I think prior to the FDNY/EMS merger, that rig was also assigned to the Health and Hospitals as the NYC EMS/ESU in the white, blue and orange color. 

Offline raybrag

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 09:38:40 AM »
Willy, last thing I'd want to do is question you . . . but . . . if it's an EMS unit, why does it say "Haz-mat Operations" on it?
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2015, 10:39:48 AM »
Willy, last thing I'd want to do is question you . . . but . . . if it's an EMS unit, why does it say "Haz-mat Operations" on it?

I don't know. But once again my friend, you got better eyes than I have. I didn't even notice that.

Offline anesti

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2015, 11:01:14 AM »
Didn't ems control hazmat and decon back then??

Offline memory master

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2015, 12:05:26 PM »
EMS SOD (Special Operations) did decon back then. There also was a decon semi-trailer which was stored at the 58th street, Maspeth, facility. In that trailer were the showers, etc. The ancient International cab forward tractor could just about pull it. One night while going over the Tri-Boro bridge RFK now) from Queens to the Bronx I was in first gear going up to the main span. I jus made it up. Thank God I didn't need a lower gear. Anyway, one fine day I was told to transport the trailer to "red square" to have it weighed and then take it to the fire house on Bradford street (I think) and leave it there. That was when FD took control of it. (I'm sure they had a better tractor!) With regard to the orange/white utility truck with the push bumper, it was one of the roadside mechanics vehicles at the start of it's career.
The "Jimmy's" were used by EMS Patrol bosses and the short lived PRU's. Those vehicles were horrific. If you hit at bump in the road all four wheels were in the air.