Author Topic: So you wanna be a Firefighter  (Read 8391 times)

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
Re: So you wanna be a Firefighter
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 11:39:16 AM »
 New London, Ct Firefighter "Johnny T" shows us one aspect of the job and what it takes to be a firefighter.

Nycfire.net

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 11:39:16 AM »

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 10:10:01 PM »
This should apply to every F.D. & P.D. in the U.S.!

This is a really super answer to all sorts of people who have objections to not just the military, but also any sort of job situation with any sort of requirement.   whiners need to just plain get used to the fact that LIFE is unfair.

Excellent Summary

Gowdy (US Representative from South Carolina expressed a few things about the military in response to a loaded question from a CNN reporter about the ban of transgenders. He nails it!
Nobody has a "right" to serve in the Military. Nobody. What makes people think the Military is an equal opportunity employer? Very far from it.
The Military uses prejudice regularly and consistently to deny citizens from joining for being too old or too young, too fat or too skinny, too tall or too short. Citizens are denied for having flat feet, or for missing or additional fingers. Poor eyesight will disqualify you, as well as bad teeth. Malnourished? Drug addiction? Bad back? Criminal history? Low IQ? Anxiety? Phobias? Hearing damage? Six arms? Hear voices in your head? Self-identify as a Unicorn? Need a special access ramp for your wheelchair? Can't run the required course in the required time? Can't do the required number of pushups? Not really a "morning person" and refuse to get out of bed before noon? All can be reasons for denial.
The Military has one job. War. Anything else is a distraction and a liability. Did someone just scream "That isn't Fair"? War is VERY unfair, there are no exceptions made for being special or challenged or socially wonderful. YOU change yourself to meet Military standards.. Not the other way around. I say again: You don't change the Military... you must change yourself. The Military doesn't need to accommodate anyone with special issues. The Military needs to Win Wars. If any of your personal issues are a liability that detract from readiness or lethality... Thank you for applying and good luck in future endeavors. Who's next in line?

Offline jks19714

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 09:32:15 AM »
Or, if you have a medical profile that will never get you into the military, you might be able to do what I did - work for the military as a civilian.  I was a computer guy and started in military space, later into sonar.  I gave Uncle five years and went on to civilian life at a power utility. 

Each to his own abilities. (and then onto 25 years as a volunteer firefighter and in state emergency management as one of the few volunteers)

john

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2018, 08:38:46 AM »
Or, if you have a medical profile that will never get you into the military, you might be able to do what I did - work for the military as a civilian.  I was a computer guy and started in military space, later into sonar.  I gave Uncle five years and went on to civilian life at a power utility. 

Each to his own abilities. (and then onto 25 years as a volunteer firefighter and in state emergency management as one of the few volunteers)

john

Thank you for telling us your story John, aka "jks19714".

I MUST AGREE with you. You are 100 % correct. It's true, NOT everybody can become a career firefighter. There may be limitations in a persons life that - beyond their control, it just can't be done. But very often, those individuals, if willing to accept what they have no control over, may certainly find a very rewarding career and able to play a big part in helping people throughout our society.

Like yourself, I have friends who I greatly respect for the job they do or have done. For whatever reason, they didn't become career firefighters. But they certainly had a very rewarding career in helping people. Those friends became RNs, 911 Dispatchers, Utility Employees, Security Guards, EMTs and Paramedics, members of our Military, etc. Many of which do as you have done, also served their communities as Volunteer Firefighters - from Firefighters and Engine Company Chaffers to high ranking officers within their departments.

When we think about it, "What would we do without people like yourself or so many other very GIFTED, and Talented People" ?

Yes John, we all have our given talents. We may not always get exactly what we want. But it's up to each individual to use that talent and take that ball and run with it.

anything