Author Topic: THE BARB SYSTEM.  (Read 2045 times)

Online 68jk09

THE BARB SYSTEM.
« on: January 30, 2015, 07:50:29 PM »
I had Retired before the BARB system came into play....i know nothing about it but i have read bits & pieces here & there but i would like to hear some further explanation  as well as  pro's & con's from those familiar w/it as well as any major impacts.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 07:54:14 PM by 68jk09 »

Nycfire.net

THE BARB SYSTEM.
« on: January 30, 2015, 07:50:29 PM »

Offline HCO

Re: THE BARB SYSTEM.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 08:02:11 PM »
Dispatch Operations alarm assignment planners use Box-area Automated Run-card Builder (BARB) a commercial software program developed for FDNY, to determine unit assignments for each box location.  Assignments were previously made by straight-line distances with allowances for major variants such as rivers and bridges.  BARB calculations are based on street networks, road speeds, one-way streets, time of day, road/bridge closures, and temporary unit relocations as well as distance.   Highway boxes have not been reprogrammed in order to preserve bi-direction responses. All companies were given opportunity to review proposed changes. BARB is operational in Staten Island, Bronx, Manhattan, and Queens; Brooklyn has been planned for late January, and may be in place now.

Offline mac8146

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 08:11:51 PM »
When initial barb came out in bronx we handed in many change requests, never implemented or used. Another barb was introduced and after spending much time on first many companies didn't bother to try again, some actually made agreements among themselves knowing their response areas and so on. At no time was any officer asked to assist in barb assignments espspecially those that have been around for a time. FYI bronx units were not involved in Manhattan barb and the changes that affected those units. As stated on this forum many times the changes can either leave the old timers scratching there heads or are improvement to certain boxes. Just my opinion.

Offline fdhistorian

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 08:38:35 PM »
Do BARB generated running cards have predetermined multiple alarm relocations?
Are any relocations predetermined anymore or do any companies automatically relocate on multiple alarms?

Offline In2theJob

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 09:30:43 AM »
Its at the discretion of the Dispatchers I believe but the CAD system does suggest the relocations to them. I don't believe there is a list anywhere but units do tend to relocate to the same companies a lot.