Author Topic: New Units  (Read 27268 times)

Offline baileyjeff

Re: New Units
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 05:41:25 PM »
Staten Island had at least 2 all hands today, so something really needs to be done. But will the budget allow for it. Could engine or ladder companies be relocated?

Nycfire.net

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 05:41:25 PM »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 07:15:30 PM »
 Some very interesting points brought up. Maybe Metrotech should listen to some of these guys here. A lot of good facts presented.

Every time Squad 1 goes to Staten Island, I remember being told by a member there it is about a 20-25 mile trip. That's a long ride down that BQE and over the VN Bridge even without traffic.

Offline AuxWarYearsCapt

• Aux. Capt E-319 June 1972 to disbandment
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 07:41:02 PM »
When and if that time comes , who be interesting to see if they re-establish Batt 59 ....Back in 1984 they were re-established them at E 319 until 1989 when they were again disbanded.......They got the 28 Batt boxes  from upper Ridgewood  going east of Forest Ave the 46 Batt boxes in upper Maspeth , Forest Hills and the 51 Batt in the Queens C.O. area....The company's assigned to the 59 Batt were E 286-291-294-305-319   L 135-140-143-151

Offline fdny1075k

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 08:36:24 PM »
With the approx. 20 companies on the chopping block in the past few years, I don't know if I see any brand new companies being created. Most likely the re-establishing of disbanded units (i.e. the 59 Battalion as AuxWayYearsCapt mentioned) or in the case of the squads, converting existing companies.

Offline scamall dubh

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 08:38:52 PM »
I heard rumor of a Bronx Battalion being reassigned to Queens.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 08:50:43 PM »
History has shown that new FDNY units typically come from disbanded FDNY units.  Converting engines to squads is different, but new companies usually are formed from existing units.  Unless there is a source of new funding given to the Department, a new ladder company in Harlem, or a new battalion in Queens, will likely come from an existing unit.  I do hope there are new units and also that I am wrong about losing existing ones.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 08:58:14 PM »
Putting another BN in QNS i would think would require relocating more than 1 BN to evenly spread them out....for example when the 59 was in 275 the 51 was then in 294.

Offline baileyjeff

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 09:55:25 PM »
Staten Island needs new units there is no question there, the past 2 days there have been at least 2 all hands per day in Staten Island, the other day they had a 4 alarm fire.

Engine 168 has plenty of room for a ladder, even converting 168 to a Squad might not be bad idea.
1 New BC is needed

Relocating a Bronx BC to Queens, I don't see that happening.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 10:41:07 PM »
Map on this shows geographic distribution of FDNY battalions and divisions. 

http://www.nycfire.net/battalion_firehouses

Offline enginecap

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 11:19:06 PM »
i did hear rumors...trucks are doing 5000 runs or close to it, but i just don't see them opening new companies.  What we might see though is modifying the response matrix in order to make more companies available.  The modified response program has worked well, so now it would be easier to just start leaving some of the companies in quarters
I would think that leaving Units in qtrs could be steps away from closing some.
you are absolutely correct...and that very well may have been the idea behind the Modified Response policy.  The job now has stats on how many times the 2nd truck or the 2nd engine on a modified response run was actually used.  That ammunition will allow them to change response matrix or close companies even. 
I just want one more good fire

Offline FD347

• FDNewYork.com
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 01:11:51 AM »
I think it would be political suicide for any politician to talk about closures when they just went on record touting the busiest year EVER with over 519,000 runs. It's more likely that they will look to reposition companies to even out coverage.
Frank Raffa
Ret. Supv. Dispatcher, FDNY
www.FDNewYork.com
BCO - RIP
2/22/1923 - 6/3/2008

Offline NYBravest82

• LCPhotowerx
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2015, 09:32:43 AM »
Staten Island needs new units there is no question there, the past 2 days there have been at least 2 all hands per day in Staten Island, the other day they had a 4 alarm fire.

Engine 168 has plenty of room for a ladder, even converting 168 to a Squad might not be bad idea.
1 New BC is needed

Relocating a Bronx BC to Queens, I don't see that happening.

I see a Sq and maybe, MAYBE a truck going to 168. The SQ will not be 168, i can all but guarantee that. I doubt we'll get a Batt before one of those.

Offline DAN S.

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2015, 10:24:27 AM »
Seems like alot of crying by truck guys doing to many runs. Most left the engine to do less especially ems. Well sorry to break it to you within a few years trucks will also be doing ems. Instead of opening more companies how about bringing the 5th man back to all engines???

Offline baileyjeff

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2015, 12:42:29 PM »
I am by far an expert, but I would like an experts opinion. If relocations occur what companies would you see moved around or even closed?

Offline Bulldog

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 05:53:21 PM »
Seems like alot of crying by truck guys doing to many runs. Most left the engine to do less especially ems. Well sorry to break it to you within a few years trucks will also be doing ems. Instead of opening more companies how about bringing the 5th man back to all engines???
It really seems like in many ways this would be very beneficial.  Especially at All Hands and multiple alarm fires many of the companies, especially the engines, just park their rigs because they need the manpower at the scene.  If the companies have more manpower you could dispatch fewer engines to the fire and still have the same amount of manpower.  You'd save the cost of the purchase for the trucks as well as the maintenance costs, sounds like in the long run there would be significant savings by doing this!