Author Topic: New Zealand Fire Service  (Read 3485 times)

NZFDNYBuff

New Zealand Fire Service
« on: September 17, 2009, 06:27:15 PM »
Just thought I'd show you lot how we do it in New Zealand.

There are eight geographical fire regions; Northland, Auckland, Bay-Waikato, Eastern, Western, Arapawa, Transalpine and Southern. 440 fire stations are spread through these eight regions. There are 1,400 career firefighters, and over 6000 volunteers that staff these stations, which house 800 appliances, from pumps, to aerials, to pump/rescue tenders and special gear, ie foam tenders, HAZMAT units, Breathing Apparatus Tenders, Hose Layers and tankers.

Nycfire.net

New Zealand Fire Service
« on: September 17, 2009, 06:27:15 PM »

Offline grumpy grizzly

Re: New Zealand Fire Service
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 06:30:35 PM »
Do you have a site to log onto for info/pixs/houses? :)
FAC 20 TASS 68-69 SVN. Hue/PhuBai , Boston Spark from 71-79, Chicago 79-15, Bloomington/Normal 2015- present

NZFDNYBuff

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 06:33:54 PM »
Do you have a site to log onto for info/pixs/houses? :)

Here's the BEST New Zealand Emergency Services website I've found;

http://www.111emergency.co.nz/

Offline efd274

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 08:54:31 PM »
I see you have a wide variety of Appliance manufacturers (apparatus here) such as Isuzu, Dodge, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Commer, International etc. I have a few questions:

1.  Is procurement done through public bidding?

2.  Are spare parts and inventory a problem with so many manufacturers?

3.  Do you have a Shops/Fleet Services center(s) like FDNY

4.  Are there preferred vendors? 

5.  What trucks are the best in terms of reliability, user friendliness and service life?

NZFDNYBuff

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 09:13:36 PM »
1. Don't think so - the NZFS orders the chassis from Scania and Iveco, then the workshops build the bodies, put them on the trucks and hey presto, you've got a truck that's ready for action in several weeks.

2. I have no clue - I think they'd just take the truck out of service, give the brigade an old banger for a few days or forever how long it takes for their truck to be fixed and back on the run again.

3. Each of the eight fire regions has its own workshop, and engineers are always busy repairing old trucks and getting the new ones ready for operational duty with their assigned brigade.

4. Yeah there are - mostly Scania and Iveco. Scania for the career brigades and Iveco for the volunteer ones (Rangiora has a '05 Iveco EuroCargo Pump Rescue Tender), while other trucks are shunted round several brigades till a new replacement can be found for them.

5. Take this as an example - our town's pump and pump rescue were both International 1950C's, and when they were both pensioned off to other brigades in the Transalpine Region, they both had 25+ years service to our town. That's what I'd say is reliability and a very long service life, and they are pretty simple to operate as well - no fuss with those trucks for sure.

Offline efd274

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 09:58:20 PM »
Thanks for all the info!!

Offline guitarman314

• Photobucket
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 12:37:23 AM »
Didn't New Zealand run some Mack CF's one time? ???

NZFDNYBuff

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 02:01:51 AM »
Didn't New Zealand run some Mack CF's one time? ???

Sure did!

Auckland 205 (see here - )
Rotorua 815 (see here - )

These are the two remaining CF's that are operational in New Zealand - all the rest are in museums or have been scrapped and 205 had a major rear axle/suspension failure a couple of weeks ago, so hopefully she'll be coming back soon.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 05:04:22 PM by NZFDNYBuff »

Offline grumpy grizzly

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 04:58:28 PM »
Great site for New Zealand!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)
FAC 20 TASS 68-69 SVN. Hue/PhuBai , Boston Spark from 71-79, Chicago 79-15, Bloomington/Normal 2015- present

NZFDNYBuff

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 05:06:46 PM »
Great site for New Zealand!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

No worries grizzly - and being a University student who has studied the Vietnam War, thank you for your service.