Author Topic: "Blue Bloods" 10/16/15  (Read 4763 times)

Offline 1261Truckie

"Blue Bloods" 10/16/15
« on: October 17, 2015, 10:56:10 AM »
I'm sorry, but I have to ask: Did anyone watch last night's episode of "Blue Bloods" and how was the issue between the  FDNY/NYPD, Fire Comm/Police Comm resolved? I only saw the lunch meeting scene and then missed the rest of the show. I am curious why the show decided to pursue this issue, and was upset at what appeared to be an anti-FDNY sentiment.
Thanks for any info and observations

Nycfire.net

"Blue Bloods" 10/16/15
« on: October 17, 2015, 10:56:10 AM »

Offline raybrag

Re: "Blue Bloods" 10/16/15
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 03:35:02 PM »
Truckie:

I'm a big fan of "Blue Bloods", but I'm out of town.  I had my DVR set to record it . . . but I won't get to see it until Wed nite.  If no one has brought you up to speed by then, I will.
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 04:57:12 PM »
How about the Helmet on the Commissioner's bookcase when they show the scenes in his office ? ....red in color &  mismatched non FDNY Frontpiece....shouldn't be too hard for them to get an authentic one.

Offline Bulldog

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 05:35:34 PM »
I'm sorry, but I have to ask: Did anyone watch last night's episode of "Blue Bloods" and how was the issue between the  FDNY/NYPD, Fire Comm/Police Comm resolved? I only saw the lunch meeting scene and then missed the rest of the show. I am curious why the show decided to pursue this issue, and was upset At what appeared to be an anti-FDNY sentiment.
Thanks for any info and observations
Of course this might sound partial since it's being posted on a FDNY site I think the probably is down to that the police, especially the ESU units try to take over everything including extrications, Hazmat, etc.  I don't believe that the FDNY or NYPD alone can solve the issue because it goes all the way up to the mayor's office who is let this happen over a period of time.  There needs to be clearly defined roles of who's responsible for what into his command of what and the overlaps that currently exist need to be eliminated or at least greatly reduced.

Not only do these issues cause infighting between the 2 departments but they also cost the taxpayers of NYC a lot of money that is spent needlessly.  ESU doesn't need rescue trucks, extrication equipment etc.  Those are not items normally associated with police operations and aren't needed by NYPD.

I really don't believe that in most cases there is as much animosity between the 2 departments during normal operations as the show inferred but they certainly do exist.  I think the biggest animosity is between middle and upper command personnel, not the grants you actually do the work in most cases.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 12:15:16 AM »
Some of the characters in this show quite often play the liberal "everyone gets a trophy" spiel but this particular episode was ridiculous .....too much false animosity .....we need to stand together.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 12:46:40 AM by 68jk09 »

Offline 1261Truckie

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 01:00:20 AM »
I agree with you Chief and I think we all saw the photos of FDNY apparatus with tributes to fallen NYPD members on them and the troops showing support and respect when the officers' bodies were transported.

Offline L-103(ret)

• L-103, 1965-1981...E315, 1981-1985
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 08:42:22 AM »
Not half as real as Chicago Fire
if it wasn't for the heat and smoke this would be a great job

Offline scamall dubh

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 09:59:05 AM »
There are clearly defined roles in CIMS.
The NYPD just chooses to ignore CIMS.
A perfect example is structural collapse which is a FDNY single command.
NYPD has CARV trucks .
Construction Accident Response Vehicles.

Offline Bulldog

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 11:20:24 AM »
There are clearly defined roles in CIMS.
The NYPD just chooses to ignore CIMS.
A perfect example is structural collapse which is a FDNY single command.
NYPD has CARV trucks .
Construction Accident Response Vehicles.
That certainly demonstrates that the problem is at the top, not among the front-line members of both departments.  The city administration needs to crack down on NYPD and FDNY where appropriate to ensure that they follow the rules that are in place.  Of course it would also help if they took away the equipment that NYPD has to do the duplicate services.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 12:10:50 PM by Bulldog »

Offline tem217

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 07:37:27 PM »
I don't remember seeing any conflicts between nypd and fdny
on barnie miller or car 54.

Offline raybrag

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 07:36:02 AM »
To get back to 1261 Truckie's question:

Frank Reagan and the Fire Commissioner had a sit down with just the two of them.  They agreed that they both detested politicians, and that they both were above that sort of thing. The FC agreed to issue a "statement of regret" over the incident, and they parted ways.

I got a chuckle out of the idea that both the PC and FC thought they were above politics, and wouldn't dirty their hands with "that sort of thing".  I can't imagine two more political jobs than theirs.  You MUST be a politician to get either one of them . . . it's just not a requirement  to get the people to elect you.
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

anything