Author Topic: window bars  (Read 3542 times)

Offline Charging in 113

window bars
« on: October 22, 2015, 06:52:38 PM »
What does a engine company do when they are called for window bars?  Do they assist the truck company with the removal of window bars?

Nycfire.net

window bars
« on: October 22, 2015, 06:52:38 PM »

Offline 68jk09

Re: window bars
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 08:34:58 PM »
Theoretically they should stretch a charged line to the area outside the bldg where the bars are & standby in case someone is trapped behind bars that have not been removed yet.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 11:30:06 PM »
 Recently talking with a few members of a ladder company that deals with a lot of window bars in private dwellings, one of their members made up a couple of large metal tools, maybe 5 feet long that is used to force these bars from their anchor point. I guess the best way to describe these two tools is almost like a long halligan bar. I have a picture of them and I will try to get one of the younger guys with some expertise to post it for me.

Another thing I didn't know is that when venting these windows, I was told they vent every Other Window in these private dwellings. The reason being that this would vent each room in a private dwelling.

Something else I noticed while riding around parts of the city recently. In some places, these window bars are on ALL the windows throughout. Some of these buildings are five and six stories high with bars covering every window of an occupied building. I've been told that a few ladder companies carry tools which they us to remove these bars by retracting the ladder (or maybe the tower ladder) in the cases of trapped victims. There really is no other way to reach and remove these bars at their remote areas. Why these bars are covering ALL of the windows is something most firefighters can not understand. In the case of a fire, all the occupants of the building are trapped like prisoners in their own apartments.

These are the kinds of daily things that the FDNY faces. I'm sure other departments do as well. But I have just always found that if there's something to learn about firefighting, somebody within that FDNY can usually teach you a trick or two.

Online tem217

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 11:33:45 PM »
as far as window bars go..having an engine co. stretch and be prepared to operate that handline from the outside into the window which had window bars to protect a fireman or civilians was
s.o.p. in the 57 battalion..generated by BC DENNIS CROSS 57bn..who we lost on 9/11.
also considered at a brownstone with eyebrow windows in the cornice.
a very proactive move.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 07:56:46 AM »

Another thing I didn't know is that when venting these windows, I was told they vent every Other Window in these private dwellings. The reason being that this would vent each room in a private dwelling.

I want to make a correction to what I posted above. I misunderstood what was told to me and it really needs to be corrected.

In private dwelling fires with window bars, every Other Window has the bars REMOVED (not just vented as I had previously posted). That way usually each room can be accessed into these buildings.

Thanks Chief "68jk09" for pointing that out to me. That makes much more sense than just venting every other window, while leaving the bars intact.

And hopefully, my good friend "fdny1075k" can post the pictures I sent him of the hand tools, designed by a member of FDNY, to force these bars off of windows of private dwellings. I haven't seen them used yet, but according to the members of this busy ladder company, those tools do a pretty good job.

Offline fdce54

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 09:04:48 AM »
Willie, you mean these tools:

Online FDNYSTATENISLAND

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 04:46:28 PM »
Pics are from "fdny1075k and nfd2004"

Offline Bulldog

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 05:45:55 PM »
Those tools sure that they would be effective!  Very simple design that looks like it would work very well which is what's needed in most cases.  Fancies bells and whistles just get in the way a lot of times.  What truck company is that in the picture with the tools leaning against the truck?  You can tell it's a company that gets a lot of work by how the truck looks.  A little dirt, a little tape, some stick-on letters, etc. all make it easier to get what you need quicker!  I've never seen a picture of a FDNY company with that type of brackets for padlocks on the compartment doors, are they very common?  I'm assuming that the locks are only put on in rare cases like when the truck is parked away from the fire area and not used but the members are put to work.

Offline fdce54

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 06:49:24 PM »
L-126 in a seemingly endless spare. They love their Ferrara.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 07:14:45 PM by fdce54 »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 11:58:56 PM »
Thanks "fdce54", Frank and "FDNYSI" for posting those pictures. That is exactly what I was talking about.

anything