Author Topic: Frequent Flyers they are called  (Read 1957 times)

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
Frequent Flyers they are called
« on: October 02, 2016, 02:30:03 PM »
 Recently I visited a good friend who is a firefighter in Providence, RI. He works at Fire Headquarters where there is an Engine Co (Engine 3), a Truck Co (Ladder 1), a Heavy Rescue Co (Special Hazards 1), a Division Chief (Division 1), and a Rescue Ambulance (Rescue 4 - one of seven ambulances used to transport patients).

He took me around and he showed me an area that as a buff, I was quite familiar with. About a four or five block area in the 300-400 numbers on Broad St. This area is known for what is sometimes referred to as "Frequent Flyers", by people who abuse the 9-1-1 system requesting to be taken to the hospital by ambulance, rather than get on a bus or walk to the nearest walk in clinic.

Here is a brief story written by a Providence firefighter. But I'm willing to bet, anyone who works on an ambulance serving the public in many places will be able to relate to this.

http://providencejournal.com/opinion/20160924/michael-morse-firefighters-padding-numbers-or-saving-lives 

Nycfire.net

Frequent Flyers they are called
« on: October 02, 2016, 02:30:03 PM »

Offline memory master

Re: Frequent Flyers they are called
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 07:35:24 PM »
nfd thanks for bringing back memories. Been there, done that as they say and vividly remember the utter nonsense of the "frequent flyers" and the "dial 911 taxi." Just a quick anecdote, New Years morning 1985 on a 07x15 tour, we had a "gentleman" who called 911 about 0900. We responded and upon inquiring to the nature of his call he responded by saying he had a cold. My partner asked him nicely why he called 911 for a cold. The patient's response.."Are you refusing to take me? I know my rights and I'll sue you." Of course we were going to take him anyway but here's the kicker...he lived in a first floor apartment and the entrance to the hospital E.D. was directly, yes directly 2 traffic lanes, across the street from his place of residence. You just can't make this s**t up!

Offline STAjo

• Former NY State EMT, NYC Security, Buff
Re: Frequent Flyers they are called
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 10:11:04 PM »

As Former EMT/Ambulance Crew Chief - I wish I had a Dollar for Every Time ... Well, Never Mind, I got Paid by the Hour...  ;)

anything