Author Topic: EMS, Nearly 50% of the EMS staff taking off for FDNY exam  (Read 2723 times)

Offline mikeindabronx

EMS, Nearly 50% of the EMS staff taking off for FDNY exam
« on: December 09, 2016, 06:15:58 AM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/50-ems-staff-nix-vacation-plans-fdny-test-article-1.2903767

Nycfire.net

EMS, Nearly 50% of the EMS staff taking off for FDNY exam
« on: December 09, 2016, 06:15:58 AM »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
Re: EMS, Nearly 50% of the EMS staff taking off for FDNY exam
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 07:06:26 AM »
 No surprises here.

But perhaps the City of New York should look into ways of keeping those FDNY EMTs/Medics with a better package than they have now. A package that will compensate them for the job they do. The FDNY/EMS has probably some of the most experienced EMTs and Medics in our country. They see it all. Yet they are very seldom appreciated for the life saving work they do. In fact, they are often abused by a system they are assigned to help. It is a THANKLESS JOB to say the least.

They deal with our most tragic moments and are sometimes expected by our society to be Miracle Workers. It doesn't matter who it is, rich or poor, black or white, these dedicated life savors are out there every single day and night of the year. Out there in the brutal winters and the sweating summers.

Maybe this is an indication that the City of New York needs to look into why so many want to leave a city job like this. Maybe if it were any of us, we'd be doing the same thing. Maybe because we would want to provide for our families a better life style and be compensated fairly for the life saving job we do, working under the extreme conditions and stress that these FDNY/EMS Medics or EMTs must put up with.

Maybe the City of New York should look itself in the mirror and ask themselves, "why are these people so interested in leaving this job" ? Maybe the City of New York needs to appreciate these people for the job they do and make it worthwhile for them to stay.

As an outsider, I really have no say in this. But as a buff I've seen them work over the years. As a visitor to NYC frequently I count on them to help me if ever needed. In fact any one of us in NYC count on them if needed.

Take a good look NYC. There's a reason why so many want to leave the FDNY/EMS. Time for the leaders to put on their thinking caps on and figure out ways to keep these life saving employees.

Offline memory master

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 07:41:20 AM »
NFD, thank you. You took the words right out of my mouth. The City could not care less about EMS. The working conditions are the pits. Been there, done that for almost 30 years.

Offline Bulldog

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 08:26:27 AM »
Very well written NFD! Another question I have is how many of these people just went into the EMS side of FDNY as a leg up getting into the fire side? It's so difficult to get through the system and get hired by FDNY for firefighting that anyway you can make the system work easier I'm sure the past that many people do.

Offline memory master

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 11:31:23 AM »
To answer your question Bulldog, quite a few try to do it this way.

Offline squarewheels

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 03:10:32 PM »
its basically the only way for some

anything