Author Topic: FLY CARS.  (Read 7612 times)

Offline memory master

Re: FLY CARS.
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 02:22:14 PM »
The real problem in NYC is that about 95% of medical calls do not require the emergency response of a trained professional.  For the engines in the CFR program, the number is about 99%.  Highly trained and motivated people break down after a while, because they are doing a relentless amount of pointless work.  Top performers in any field need to feel a sense of personal gratification.
and that my friends, is why it's called "the 911 taxi service."

Nycfire.net

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 02:22:14 PM »

Offline raybrag

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 10:43:50 AM »
Jack Lerch's article in the July-August issue of Fire Apparatus Journal has a few words and a photo of a 2013 GMC pickup that has had a "Squad 51" style Reading utility body put on it for use as an EMS Fly Car, And says it's being tested as a prototype for future EMS vehicles. This made me wonder how the Fly Car program is working after a year and a half or so.  Anybody know?
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline memory master

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2018, 05:39:47 PM »
Ray, I have been retired for nine years now and I don't have any info on the current "fly car" program. They had started this once before, back in the late 90's and it consisted of a paramedic and a Lt. or Capt. It put the officer in a trick bag so to speak as he was supposed to be handling patrol duties when not on assignments as a Paramedic Response Unit aka PRU. To make a long story much shorter, how was he or she going to handle patrol, administrative problems, requests for a boss at other assignments, etc. And of course, more responsibility with no salary differential. It didn't last that long. Again, I have no knowledge of today's program but I'll bet it's the same smoke and mirrors as yesterday.