Author Topic: Oldest FDNY Company?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline FDNY75VA

• Thank a Vollie, Support a Vollie, Be a Vollie!
    • ResponderPhoto
Oldest FDNY Company?
« on: March 18, 2017, 10:07:57 AM »
Can anyone advise which FDNY company is the oldest continuously serving company in the city and in Manhattan?  Is it also E-26 which is in the oldest continuously active firehouse in Manhattan?  Thanks. I did a search and saw oldest firehouses but not continuously active companies.
Raised in the Upper West Side (near E76/TL22); Hopeless FDNY Buff/Photographer; 12-year USAF Vet; Member, Chancellor Vol. Fire-Rescue, Spotsylvania County, VA (cvfr.net) and Fredericksburg Vol Rescue Squad (fxbgrescue.org)

Nycfire.net

Oldest FDNY Company?
« on: March 18, 2017, 10:07:57 AM »

Offline guitarman314

• Photobucket
Re: Oldest FDNY Company?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 10:42:28 AM »
It's probably Eng. 3 although I've read somewhere it is Eng. 5. Engine 1 was disbanded from 1868 to 1873.

Offline FDNY75VA

• Thank a Vollie, Support a Vollie, Be a Vollie!
    • ResponderPhoto
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 12:37:50 PM »
Just found this at nyfd.com...Ladder 1

http://www.nyfd.com/manhattan_ladders/ladder_1.html

Also noticed that E-6 and E-7 both are older than E-3 and E-5.
Raised in the Upper West Side (near E76/TL22); Hopeless FDNY Buff/Photographer; 12-year USAF Vet; Member, Chancellor Vol. Fire-Rescue, Spotsylvania County, VA (cvfr.net) and Fredericksburg Vol Rescue Squad (fxbgrescue.org)

Offline mack

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 01:07:26 PM »
I think the oldest paid fire companies in NYC would be the early NY Fire Patrol which preceded the paid Metropolitan Fire Department in the 1860s.  NYFP was run by the NY Board of Fire Underwriters from 1839 to 2006 when deactivated.   

Offline raybrag

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 03:02:27 PM »
You may be right, Mack, when speaking of paid companies. But Engine 1 and Engine 2 were formed in 1731, when the first fire apparatus in the United States were purchased.  Two hand-drawn pumpers were purchased.  All citizens were required to respond whenever there was a fire, and they operated under the supervision of the Aldermen. 

The city's first firehouse was built in 1736 in front of City Hall on Broad Street. A year later, on December 16, 1737, the colony's General Assembly created the Volunteer Fire Department of the City of New York, appointing 30 men who would remain on call in exchange for exemption from jury and militia duty. The city's first official firemen were required to be "able, discreet, and sober men who shall be known as Firemen of the City of New York, to be ready for service by night and by day and be diligent, industrious and vigilant." They used the two pumpers mentioned above.

Although the 1737 Act created the basis of the fire department, the actual legal entity was incorporated in the State of New York on March 20, 1798 under the name of "Fire Department, City of New York."

Source: Heroes of Ground Zero. FDNY A History". Public Broadcasting Service, May 3, 2015.
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline mack

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 09:55:32 AM »
You may be right, Mack, when speaking of paid companies. But Engine 1 and Engine 2 were formed in 1731, when the first fire apparatus in the United States were purchased.  Two hand-drawn pumpers were purchased.  All citizens were required to respond whenever there was a fire, and they operated under the supervision of the Aldermen. 

The city's first firehouse was built in 1736 in front of City Hall on Broad Street. A year later, on December 16, 1737, the colony's General Assembly created the Volunteer Fire Department of the City of New York, appointing 30 men who would remain on call in exchange for exemption from jury and militia duty. The city's first official firemen were required to be "able, discreet, and sober men who shall be known as Firemen of the City of New York, to be ready for service by night and by day and be diligent, industrious and vigilant." They used the two pumpers mentioned above.

Although the 1737 Act created the basis of the fire department, the actual legal entity was incorporated in the State of New York on March 20, 1798 under the name of "Fire Department, City of New York."

Source: Heroes of Ground Zero. FDNY A History". Public Broadcasting Service, May 3, 2015.

You are very correct Raybrag. The lineage of FDNY companies runs deep.  Early FDNY companies in all boros were often organized in former volunteer firehouses, used former volunteer equipment, hose and apparatus, purchased volunteers' horses, and often were staffed by former volunteer firefighters who could meet new FDNY standards.  FDNY units also were organized from paid Brooklyn Fire Dept and paid Long Island City Fire Dept companies.  There are many years of fires, major incidents, dedicated members and LODDs - history that remains unknown. 

Offline CFDMarshal

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 08:00:53 PM »
I have a Brooklyn question and a general service question. When did the last member of the old Brooklyn FD retire from service with the FDNY? Also, what is the longest generational chain of members of the FDNY to anyone's knowledge. Dates of service would be great. Thanks

Offline smokeeater405

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 11:02:41 PM »
The generational chain as far as i know is my old captain still active 4th generation firefighter no time gap. He also is the best boss i ever had the pleasure of working with and moulded me into the fireman i am today.

Offline Joeyengine

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 11:22:17 PM »
I think i have the same boss

Offline lucky

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 04:16:37 PM »
My son is a fourth generation fireman and firefighter going back to 1906.

Offline memory master

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 05:45:31 PM »
I think i have the same boss
Mike and Joe, I think I know who you may be referring to :o

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 06:10:58 PM »
Very nice.

Offline nfd2004

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 07:47:31 PM »

Congratulations "lucky". I've heard of Three Generations of Firefighters in a family BUT Never Four. A lot of changes from just one generation of firefighters to the next when it comes to the way firefighters fight fires and perform their jobs.

But in your case of four generations and OVER 100 years of fighting fires, many of us wish they could just talk, as we listen.

Offline eng65ine

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 08:42:27 PM »
Engine 26 was temporarily disbanded in 1975 so they can't be the longest continuously serving firehouse or the longest continuously serving company.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 08:55:45 PM by eng65ine »

Offline CFDMarshal

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 06:09:03 PM »
Congratulations! Do you know the dates of service for each generation and where they served?

anything