Author Topic: It's Willy D's Birthday again.  (Read 1307 times)

Offline fdce54

It's Willy D's Birthday again.
« on: April 05, 2017, 09:00:16 PM »
Our chief cook and bottle washer, Uncle Wilfred D, is celebrating another birthday again and I think he's 39 again. Happy Birthday to my good friend Willie D. He had a very interesting day. Maybe he'll tell us about it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 09:01:51 PM by fdce54 »

Nycfire.net

It's Willy D's Birthday again.
« on: April 05, 2017, 09:00:16 PM »

Online mikeindabronx

Re: It's Willy D's Birthday again.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 10:42:17 PM »
Happy Birthday Bill, have you been on any pilgrimages lately ?

Offline nfd2004

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 11:19:55 PM »
 Thank you my Good Friend Frankie D, aka "fdce54". Yes Frank, you are correct, "it was my birthday". But I "THINK" I was 38 not 39.

Anyway, the day starts off with my brother George, a retired B/C from Bridgeport, Ct picking me up. First stop Micky Ds for a McDs "Happy Meal". What a Great Birthday present that was. Then it's off to my sisters house. We chit chat a bit and then decide to get ourselves a couple of pizzas to bring home. One of the best places around is Salerno's Pizza on Barnum Ave in Stratford. "What a GREAT Pie they made". Now I know NYC has some great places like this too. But I'm telling you we ordered Two pizzas. One cheese and one meat special with all the goodies. I couldn't believe how heavy they were when I carried them out to the car. When I got home I saw the amount of tonnage of goodies they put on that pie. I then realized why they were so heavy. This thing was loaded with extra goodies.

After wolfing down most of those pies, out came the birthday cake. My sister said if she put all those lite candles on it they would be stretching in and yelling "Urgent 10-75". So she put one candle on it instead. That cake had a nice picture of a fire truck on it made of frosting. It looked like one of those Mack CFs, my favorite. The cake was great.

Then came the highlight of my birthday present. A little toy fire truck. But what was really great about it was you push one button and it makes the sound of a siren, and the other button makes the sound of an air horn. I sure did like that. I don't know what my sister was laughing about but every time I pushed that button she laughed.

Well after all that fun and good food, it was time to go home. But it was rush hour traffic on I-95 and we wouldn't move along too fast. But while we were stuck in that traffic I got an idea. I opened the window, held that toy fire truck out it and pushed those buttons. "MOVE OVER WE'RE COMING THROUGH I YELLED". I just kept laying on that air horn and siren. My brother didn't look too happy but it sure was a lot of fun on my birthday.

Now about that 38 years old thing, I might be wrong about that. I'm not quite sure if I'm 38, 58, or 68. I just don't remember.

But all kidding aside, I sure am happy to still be a pretty healthy guy. I can see, I can talk, I can hear, I can walk. Sometimes we just don't realize all the gifts that we DO HAVE. The more birthdays we have, the more we start to realize that.

P.S. - Mike, I got a story to tell you about a new fan of your web site, www.fdnysbravest.com

Offline JOR176

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 11:36:01 PM »
Happy Birthday Willie and many more.

Offline Signal73

• See You At The Big 1
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 05:58:56 AM »
Happy Birthday!!!!!! some one told me it was your 21st not 38th  ;D
Remember to take it coming in

Offline raybrag

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 06:34:47 AM »
A bit belated, but Happy Birthday, Bill!  And the truth is out . . . you're really 97, right?
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline memory master

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 07:20:44 AM »
Late as usual, but, Happy Birthday Sir and a wish for many more healthy and happy ones.

Offline mack

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 07:48:32 AM »
Happy birthday Bill!

You are the only FF I know who could get injured carrying heavy pizza.  Make sure you report it. 

Glad you enjoyed your toy fire engine.  Appropriate gift for a career buff.  And it was fitting that you drove for your brother, a battalion chief.

And the single candle - your cake would have melted if they put all the candles on the cake that belonged there.

Is there really "rush hour" traffic on I 95 in your part of CT?  Does that mean 5 or 6 cars?

Everyday day is like a birthday celebration for Willy D.

Glad you had a great birthday and thanks for being a good friend.   
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 07:50:04 AM by mack »

Offline XPFD3

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 08:35:42 AM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY UNCLE WILFRED!  Sounds like you had the wonderful day that you deserved.

Offline nfd2004

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 08:59:05 AM »
 Thank you and I sure enjoyed reading your comments. Whether I'm 21, 38, 68 or 97 (could actually be any one -  :-\ ) every day I enjoy going on here and reading about the FDNY and some of the interesting things that are posted. There is the history of the dept in "the firehouse stories of the FDNY" and there is the very sad reality that "Another War Years Firefighter Passes On".

Every day, throughout the city there are fires, emergencies, and unusual incidents we read here that the FDNY handles almost as just another routine day. But would be major front page headlines in many other places. And we have guys here that give us the play by play story of just what was going on. I thank them for that.

There are members here that I wish I had met some 35 or 40 years ago, actually when I really was maybe 21 or 38. ALL really GREAT PEOPLE. From firefighters to stock brokers. Some fought for our country during a very tough time. Some were a part of Americas Worst Day on Sept 11, 2001 that we will never forget.

Some live within the NYC area. Some live much farther away.

I'm just very THANKFUL that I can get up every morning and be a part of it all.

By the way, my sister wrote down the date I was born so I wouldn't forget. She wrote April 5, 1949. So however old that makes me, "I guess that's what I am".

Uncle Wilfred

Offline svd385

• If you're not the lead dog the view never changes
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 09:01:24 AM »
Happy birthday Willie.  IF the 68 is true just think of it as being 34 with 34 years experience ... that should settle any confusions ...
I'm not sure if life's trying to pass me by or run me over

Offline johnd248

• Aux. Lieut. at E. 248 1964-73
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 09:40:43 AM »
Happy Birthday Willy D, not to be confused with Slick Willie.  I agree with Ray that 97 is probably closer to the real number than 39.  Glad you enjoyed your day, OLD friend.

Offline 1261Truckie

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 11:39:41 AM »
Happy birthday, Willy. Glad you had a good day, hope you have many more

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 03:45:27 PM »
"BWW !" =  Best Wishes Willie...... Hope for many ,many ,more ...all healthy.

Offline Parkave32

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 03:55:26 PM »
Happy Birthday Willie.

anything