Author Topic: 5/18/17 Manhattan Major Accident  (Read 3848 times)

Offline BoroCall

Re: 5/18/17 Manhattan Major Accident
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 05:16:00 PM »

( MASS CASUALTY INCIDENT - MANHATTAN )  -  FDNY, NYPD AND NYCEMS SERVICES RESPONDING TO AND ON SCENE AT THE AFTERMATH OF A VERY SERIOUS DEADLY TRAFFIC ACCIDENT ON 7TH AVENUE IN THE TIMES SQUARE AREA OF MANHATTAN IN NEW YORK CITY.

Excellent - I would be great if you could get yourself some sort of credentials that would permit beyond the police lines.

Dont think any credentials (apart from being PD, FD or EMS) would get you beyond any Police Lines for this type of incident

Press credentials:  Independent, Free-Lance

Red Cross or Salvation Army Emergency Services

Aux. NYFD or Aux. NYPD

Nycfire.net

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 05:16:00 PM »

Offline IRISH

• Fire-Ireland.com
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 08:55:22 PM »
If you watch the video press Independent / Free Lance are all kept behind the tapes and barriers and are moved back at times. I think also "The Majestirium1" has a freelance videographer badge which ive seen in pics

Just because press have press creds doesnt automaticlly allow them beyond police tape to go where they want does it?

There is no Aux FD to my knowladge and Aux PD i would fall them under PD in my last msg

www.fire-ireland.com for the Latest Firefighting News / Incidents from Ireland
or Follow Us On Twitter @FireIreland

Offline BoroCall

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 09:53:14 PM »
If you watch the video press Independent / Free Lance are all kept behind the tapes and barriers and are moved back at times. I think also "The Majestirium1" has a freelance videographer badge which ive seen in pics

Just because press have press creds doesnt automaticlly allow them beyond police tape to go where they want does it?

There is no Aux FD to my knowladge and Aux PD i would fall them under PD in my last msg

In my retirement years - I have never been stopped - I just have my radio in-hand and I just keep walking like I belong.  I guess I've just had a great deal of practice.  I do have I shield (retirement), but I keep it in my pocket. 

Offline NewsFireBuff

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 10:22:48 PM »
What IRISH stated before is correct.  I was there covering this story for the news.  Years ago our press credentials simply stated that the press were allowed to cross police and fire lines wherever posted.  Our new press credentials now state that the bearer is entitled to, subject to safety and evidence preservation concerns, cross police, fire lines or other restrictions, limitations or barriers established by the City of New York at emergency, spot, or breaking news events and public events of a non-emergency nature where police, fire lines or other restrictions, limitations or barriers established by the City of New York have been set up for security or crowd control purposes.  When I first arrived at the scene we were all set up a block north of where the car ended up.  Shortly after that the police stated that the press had to move back north to 47th street because the bomb squad had to search the car.  Shortly after that they said it was now a crime scene and the press had to move back north to 50th street.  In the end, the press credential will only get you where you are told you can be.

Offline BoroCall

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 08:36:02 PM »
What IRISH stated before is correct.  I was there covering this story for the news.  Years ago our press credentials simply stated that the press were allowed to cross police and fire lines wherever posted.  Our new press credentials now state that the bearer is entitled to, subject to safety and evidence preservation concerns, cross police, fire lines or other restrictions, limitations or barriers established by the City of New York at emergency, spot, or breaking news events and public events of a non-emergency nature where police, fire lines or other restrictions, limitations or barriers established by the City of New York have been set up for security or crowd control purposes.  When I first arrived at the scene we were all set up a block north of where the car ended up.  Shortly after that the police stated that the press had to move back north to 47th street because the bomb squad had to search the car.  Shortly after that they said it was now a crime scene and the press had to move back north to 50th street.  In the end, the press credential will only get you where you are told you can be.

My apologies, I was not aware that the Press Credentials had been changed that drastically.  I still know of several members of the FDNY Aux. they've been Aux's for years and still are.