Author Topic: FDNY captain claims firefighters ‘do not run into burning buildings’  (Read 1046 times)

Offline mikeindabronx

http://nypost.com/2017/08/27/fdny-captain-claims-firefighters-do-not-run-into-burning-buildings/

Nycfire.net

Offline memory master

Too inane to even comment on.

Offline CFDMarshal

Can't fix stupid, but you can put it in the hands of the spin doctors and let them put it in print!

Online 68jk09

FROM THE UFOA "In reference to the NY Post article on August 17,2017. Please see below the response from the UFOA which was sent via our PR firm requesting that it be published as an OPT ED and/or Letter to Editor

With over  270 years of combined firefighting experience the Executive Board of the Uniformed Fire Officers Association unanimously agree that the profession of being a firefighter is without a doubt a dangerous job. To state that “as a firefighter you will not be putting your life on the line” is irresponsible and disingenuous at best. The members of this department face countless dangers every single day. The FDNY has a long and proud history with over 1300 members who have made the  “Supreme Sacrifice” including those who performed so  bravely on September 11 when our nation was attacked. The dangers cannot be measured  by the loss of life alone. There are hundreds of active and retired members who have been stricken with injuries, cancers and lung ailments from performing their duty.  Yes, we do “run” into burning buildings. It is our job. If one does not react and “run” into a fire upon hearing a report  “children trapped”, “people trapped”, perhaps this is not the profession for you. The UFOA encourages any individual who has a  passion and/or desire to become a firefighter to do so, it is one of the most rewarding careers one can have. A career in the FDNY provides a good salary and benefits both of which this union fights to protect every single day. Make no mistake, there are inherent risks to being a firefighter and a possible loss of life is only 1 of them.

UFOA EXECUTIVE BOARD "

Offline mikeindabronx

Online nfd2004

Re: FDNY captain claims firefighters ‘do not run into burning buildings’
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 11:07:42 PM »
https://thousandpointsofright.blogspot.com/2017/09/affirmative-action-hiring-endangers-fdny.html

After reading this article, FINALLY the TRUTH is coming out. Anyone who can successfully score the highest on the entire series of multiple test and completing a Probie School requirement should be entitled to have FIRST CHOICE at getting these jobs. Not based on what somebody might look like.

Back in the 1970s, I was denied the firefighters job in Bridgeport, Ct solely because of the way I looked. In my case I was lucky that I already had a job as a career firefighter. But Bridgeport was the place I really wanted to be. But that didn't happen because of Affirmative Action. Meanwhile my father was a firefighter and his boss was a Fire Captain that didn't get the job on his looks. But by the hard work that everybody else had to do to get there. His name was Captain Williams and he was a very highly respected member of the department. He was also a military veteran like so many other guys of that generation had been.

I had one friend who became one of those firefighters through this affirmative action event. But I know that he was smart enough and into it, that he would have gotten the job anyway.

However, another guy hired through this affirmative action program was later arrested and charged with being the driver of a get away car at the scene of a double murder.

I guess for me everything worked out okay anyway. My brother later got the job in Bridgeport so that ended up being okay. But affirmation action didn't finish with getting the job. It continued on throughout his entire career on every promotion test he took. All of the promotion test he took, Lt, Captain and Battalion Chief were always based on how somebody looked. Passing grades were even lowered AFTER the test results came out. Then the promotional job was offered not only on final score results but on how somebody looked. A TOTALLY UNFAIR SYSTEM FOR SO MANY THROUGHOUT THEIR CAREERS.

My story is NOT the only one. There are THOUSANDS of other stories just like mine and my brothers. We are now seeing the results of this completely unfair testing policy.

We shouldn't be giving this job out to somebody who says they want to be a firefighter but blames society for making the testing process too hard for them to pass it like everybody else.

Online 68jk09

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 11:43:21 PM »
^^^^^^Very true Willy... also MERIT does MATTER.

Online 68jk09

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 10:13:54 PM »
A REAL SPEECH ABOUT THE JOB....