Author Topic: Television from a different time  (Read 1994 times)

Offline raybrag

Re: Television from a different time
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 08:15:28 AM »
Ah, the good old days.  A seven-man engine company (count the people at the dinner table before the alarm comes in, then subtract the 2 for the rescue).  Oh yeah . . . a 2-man rescue company that ran with a panel truck . . . and a half empty panel truck at that.  But it did have a "pompier belt" for Jim Davis.  Guess you do have to allow for some poetic license though, don't you.  BTW:  It was my favorite show in 1958.  ;)
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Nycfire.net

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 08:15:28 AM »

Offline nfd2004

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 05:33:03 PM »
 Even if you were having a bad day, you could always turn on that television and usually find something to give you a few laughs making that day a little bit better.

I'm sure there's a few of us who remember watching these two guys.

Offline mack

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 08:33:43 PM »
1960s TV shows:

Offline nfd2004

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 10:45:08 PM »
 Thanks "mack". What a GREAT Rundown of so many different shows. From Quiz Shows to Comedy Shows. Westerns to Cartoons. Family Shows to Science Fiction.

For those of us who were around to see it, watching the television was usually the spot to be. Families watched the shows together.

We were one of the first families to have a TV on the block. It was a small black and white picture screen and we might have been able to pick up three channels. Most were westerns and the neighbors came over to watch it.

Many of us can also remember watching on live television "mans first steps on the moon". What a night that was and the next day the entire country talked about it.

We also saw the news report when President Kennedy was shot and killed in Dallas. News reporter Walter Cronkite had announced on live television that President Kennedy had died.

We had no trouble functioning without computers, cell phones or cable TV. Local television gave us enough entertainment and it was all FREE.

Offline memory master

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 10:52:39 AM »
Now it's 95% commercials and you have to pay for it. >:(

Offline nfd2004

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2017, 03:56:53 PM »
 We recently learned of the death of Della Reese on November 19, 2017 at 86 years old.

Many of us remember her starring in a TV series called "Touched by an Angel", which ran from September 1994 - August, 2003, airing on CBS not too long ago.

Della Reese played the part of Tess, along with Roma Downey as Monica, and John Dye as Andrew. All angels traveling the earth inspiring people at crossroads in their lives to turn to God.

I guess today a national television channel, like CBS, NBC, or ABC, might feel they violate somebody's rights if a show like this is broadcast today.

Here is a small sample of one scene.

Offline memory master

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2017, 05:42:22 PM »
My response to the networks would be that you're violating my rights by not showing it. I am fed up with "offended", my civil liberties and other nonsense. Sorry, didn't mean to branch off the "old TV" theme of this thread.

anything