Author Topic: Television from a different time  (Read 7140 times)

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
Re: Television from a different time
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2018, 07:35:49 PM »
 For those of us who have been following the thread; "New Squad Co for S.I." in reply #88, and the discussion of what number that newly organized unit will be designated, member "raybrag" made the comment: "Squad 154 Where Are You".

For those of us who were lucky enough to understand what he was talking about, "raybrag" was using that in place of "Car 54 Where Are You". A comedy series about two NYC police officers assigned to the so called 53 Pct. It was a very popular show that gave us all a few laughs.

It was actually a time when, unlike today, there was a GREAT Amount of respect for police officers, whether in NYC, or anyplace else. Most of us who were around then I'm sure would agree.

But for those who might NOT have been around to watch this weekly comedy series, this was the theme song that was used and the two star players of the show.

Nycfire.net

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2018, 07:35:49 PM »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2018, 11:12:45 PM »
 From 1971 - 1979 many of us, no matter who you were, where you were from, what you looked like, or where you were born, sat down once a week to watch a character by the name of Archie Bunker. Along with his wife Edith, and a daughter Gloria, with an ultra liberal son-in-law named Mike, they would entertain us through laughter.

None of us were spared from laughing at ourselves, as Archie described every one of us in his own confused way. A big mouth kind of guy, who always seemed to be the looser after putting his foot in his mouth.

The show ran from January, 1971 to April, 1979. We all laughed then as it revolved around the life of a working class bigot and his family.

The series became one of televisions most influential comedic programs and one of the greatest television series of all time. It ranked Number ONE in the yearly Nielsen ratings from 1971 to 1976. It became the FIRST series to reach the milestone of having topped the Nielsen Ratings for FIVE Consecutive Years in a row.

Maybe what our society needs today is to lighten up a little and let Archie back into our lives with his politically incorrect comments. Maybe its time we all have a few laughs looking at ourselves.

A lot of us watched it. Do you remember it ?

Offline manhattan

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2018, 11:37:03 PM »
Do I remember it?  Willy, I couldn't forget it if you paid me!

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2018, 09:24:47 AM »
 Here are a few examples of that guy named Archie Bunker.

WARNING.... Before We Had A Thing Called; "Political Correctness". It was a Happy Time when we ALL laughed at ourselves.

Archie and the Polish cop:

Archie Bunker on the Irish:

Archie introduces the family to Sammy:
 NOTE - To play this video you will need to take an additional step and click on "Watch this video on Youtube"

Archie on Rabinowitz, Rabinowitz, Rabinowitz:

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 09:55:35 AM by nfd2004 »

Offline memory master

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2018, 09:51:59 AM »
Gee, my wife still calls me Archie ::)

Online mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2018, 01:14:57 PM »
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 01:17:03 PM by mack »

Online mack

• Global Moderator

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2018, 06:08:34 PM »
 When television was from a different time, there were two well known famous singers, Mr Johnny Cash and Mr Glen Campbell.

Around that same time there was a famous lady on television from Tennessee that maybe some of you remember.

Her name; "Miss Minnie Pearl" - Televisions Hottest Girl.

Here we have all three TV stars appearing together, as Miss Pearl talks about her visit to New York City.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2018, 06:08:32 PM »
 Many of us will remember a TV Show called "Laverne and Shirley".

Today, December 18, 2018 we learn of the passing of Penny Marshall, who played the part of Laverne in that show.

She grew up in the Bronx on the Grand Concourse and married another famous actor named Rob Reiner, aka Michael Stivic - "Meathead", on the "All in the Family" Show. Rob Reiner lived across the street from her in the Bronx.

Penny Marshall passed away at age 75.

This was their theme song.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2019, 07:05:37 PM »
 In the 1970s, the names of characters like; Fred Sanford, Lamont Sanford, Aunt Ester, Grady Wilson, Bubba Bexley, Donna Harris, Julio Fuentes, Officer Smith, Officer Swanhauser, were familiar to many of us as we tuned in a popular weekly TV series about a junk dealer living in South Central L.A.'s, Watts area.

There were 128 Episodes which ran weekly from 1972 - 1977. The name of that TV Series was "Sanford and Son".

Here is one small segment from it.

Online mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2019, 04:27:09 PM »
Dupont Show of the Week:

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2019, 05:40:48 PM »
 Thanks "mack". I remember watching that show on the small, black and white TV screen in our living room. As I remember, it was one of the first films showing the kind of work done by the NYPD Emergency Services.

Today as I know it, that same kind of dangerous, life saving work is going on in NYC by the members of the NYPD Emergency Services.

I would also like to add that myself and a few others here recently had the opportunity to visit one of those NYPD ESU stations where the officers there treated us GREAT and described some of the various kinds of work they do. A very dedicated, well trained group of individuals that I have a huge amount of respect for.

Offline CFDMarshal

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2019, 09:43:50 AM »
Any clue as to what year?

Online mack

• Global Moderator

Online mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2019, 10:06:26 AM »
I was looking for "Fire Rescue" show in the series which aired September 30, 1962. This is a picture with a camara guy actually tied onto the front bumper while the TV crew filmed responses.

The Rescue 1 show summary is:

"This episode presents a documentary about the Rescue Company One of the New York Fire Dept., a small corps of firefighters whose training and skills have equipped them for the most challenging assignments. The program follows the firefighters as they answer calls to multiple alarm fires, resuscitation calls and other emergencies day and night. Incidents include the death of firefighter John Farragher in a fire in the city's Hell's Hundred Acres section and a nine-alarm fire in a clothing store in Queens. The show focuses on Lt. William McMahon as he leads his men. There are scenes at the company's quarters on West 43rd St."

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 10:14:02 AM by mack »

anything