Author Topic: ENGINE 13 LODD’s  (Read 337 times)

Offline manhattan

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1126
ENGINE 13 LODD’s
« on: October 30, 2017, 07:34:25 PM »
https://ephemeralnewyork.wordpress.com/2014/09/15/the-firemen-tomb-in-a-former-village-cemetery/   

The firemen's tomb in a former Village cemetery   

Nycfire.net

ENGINE 13 LODD’s
« on: October 30, 2017, 07:34:25 PM »

Offline mack

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4307
  • Gender: Male
Re: ENGINE 13 LODD’s
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 09:36:12 PM »
     Engine 12 of the Metropolitan Fire Department (later became FDNY) was organized in 1865 in the quarters of volunteer Eagle Engine 13 recently built in 1864.  Engine 12's Foreman (Captain) was James Oates.  Assistant Foreman was Joseph Williams.  Addition members were: William Allen; James O'Neill; Joseph Moran; Henry Murray; William Hern; Washington Montage; Malachi Haley; and John Pettit.  The company had a steamer and a hose tender which were pulled by horses. 


     Volunteer Eagle Engine 13 was organized in 1783 and had several different locations in its history (Maiden Lane, Burling Slip, Fulton Street, Dover Street, Duane Street and William Street).  Engine 13 was a highly thought of engine company in the volunteer era. 

         


     Volunteer Eagle Engine 13 lost two members in the Line Of Duty, on July 1, 1834 at a store fire at 173 Pearl Street.  Engineer Eugene Underhill and FF Frederick A. Ward were killed when a wall collapsed, just missing the rest of Engine 13's members.  A firefighter memorial was established by Engine 13 company members at their side-by-side grave sites which is located close to the FDNY Fire Museum.

     

     

     

RIP.  Never forget.

Offline manhattan

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1126
Re: ENGINE 13 LODD’s
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 10:30:00 PM »
Thanks, mack.  Your usual fine work.

 

anything