Author Topic: Favorite dispatchers  (Read 856 times)

Offline baileyjeff

Favorite dispatchers
« on: December 06, 2017, 06:27:17 PM »
Does anyone know what ever happened to Warren Fuchs or George Munch after they retired?

Nycfire.net

Favorite dispatchers
« on: December 06, 2017, 06:27:17 PM »

Offline nfd2004

Re: Favorite dispatchers
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 07:34:42 PM »
Does anyone know what ever happened to Warren Fuchs or George Munch after they retired?

I would like to add, "Beefman" from da Bronx to the list. I believe formerly Disp 330.

I'm not sure about George Munch, but I think Warren is living somewhere in Pa., where he has been very active belonging to a baseball team and a bowling league.

I also know that these individuals were very respected within the FDNY. They've represented some of THE BEST. 

Offline baileyjeff

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 11:32:33 PM »
Forgot about the Beefman...a great one.

Offline jerseymike

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 10:46:58 AM »
I was totally amazed at how those dispatchers handled the July 4th runs/fires and kept such cool composures. A long and healthy retirement to all of you...

Offline nfd2004

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 11:20:08 AM »
I was totally amazed at how those dispatchers handled the July 4th runs/fires and kept such cool composures. A long and healthy retirement to all of you...

Here is just a very small sample at the start of one of those very busy Fourth of July nights. There are numerous other audios as well.

In this case it is Brooklyn Dispatcher #247, aka George Munch. One of the dispatchers mentioned here.

Those guys did an amazing job.

Offline tem217

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 11:57:02 AM »
looking to get out of B.I.....call henny
a prodigy of bob lapage
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:58:43 AM by tem217 »

Offline 1261Truckie

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 08:11:29 AM »
I don't remember names (except for Brendan O'Conner), but the dispatchers from the Brooklyn C.O. in the late 60's and early 70's were the best. Without computers to "assist" them, they kept a rein over what could have been chaos.

Offline memory master

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 06:40:53 PM »
I don't remember names (except for Brendan O'Conner), but the dispatchers from the Brooklyn C.O. in the late 60's and early 70's were the best. Without computers to "assist" them, they kept a rein over what could have been chaos.
One Bklyn. dispatcher's name I recall from that time, Morris Heitowit. He also owned a print shop that I think was on 44th street right of McDonald Avenue. He printed all the FD manuals for guys to use for studying for promotion Etc.

Offline johnd248

• Aux. Lieut. at E. 248 1964-73
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 08:38:49 AM »
I still have Morris Heitowit's book to this day.  Since I rode with E 248 and B 41, I got to spend a lot of time at the Bklyn CO: Bob Lepage, George Slattery, Russ Ramsey, Waaaaaaren Fuchs, George Munch, Brendan O'Conner, Mike Vitucci, Newt Tanner, Steve Ternlund (who went OTJ and worked at E 248 as a LT and retired out of B 41), Steve Klein, and Dan Buckley (who preceded me at E 248).  There are many, many others, but it was a long time ago.

Offline nfd2004

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 02:41:37 PM »
I still have Morris Heitowit's book to this day.  Since I rode with E 248 and B 41, I got to spend a lot of time at the Bklyn CO: Bob Lepage, George Slattery, Russ Ramsey, Waaaaaaren Fuchs, George Munch, Brendan O'Conner, Mike Vitucci, Newt Tanner, Steve Ternlund (who went OTJ and worked at E 248 as a LT and retired out of B 41), Steve Klein, and Dan Buckley (who preceded me at E 248).  There are many, many others, but it was a long time ago.

Thanks John. More names that ring a bell for me (and Others) as well.

Over the last year or so, some of us have met Steve Ternlund, now a retired B/C. I didn't know that he had been an FDNY dispatcher as well. But I can sure say this: "What a Great Guy he is".
 If not for Retired B/C J.K., aka "68jk09", none of us would know him. I think his son is on the job now, and he has another son who is also expected to join the FDNY soon.

These guys are all legions. Sometimes during those very busy FDNY War Years, they might have been considered "Miracle Workers". Working with no computers, they never skipped a beat. WHAT A GREAT JOB THEY DID.........