Author Topic: FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section  (Read 29601 times)

Offline mack

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4909
  • Gender: Male
FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section
« on: December 31, 2017, 12:22:50 PM »
FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section - Thread continues 1st Section 

Many FDNY and NYC firehouses and berths served as quarters for FDNY, Brooklyn FD, Long Island City FD, fire patrols, police, airport, federal, military, commercial and volunteer departments and companies.  The original sheds which housed the first fire companies formed to protect NYC in the late 1700s and early 1800s are gone.  But many of the original firehouses built by the volunteer departments, FDNY, Brooklyn and LIC in the mid and late 1800s still exist - some operate as active firehouses, some serve community, business or housing purposes.  Current FDNY firehouses include historic and new state-of-the-art fire stations.  This thread is dedicated to the firehouses, their companies, their apparatus, their histories and the firefighters who served in them.

Nycfire.net

FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section
« on: December 31, 2017, 12:22:50 PM »

Offline mack

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4909
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 12:25:16 PM »
Directory - FDNY Firehouse and Company Look-Up - Firehouse Thread 1 and Thread 2 Locations
     - compiled by fdhistorian

Company          Page   (Note - Pages 2-00+ are from 2nd Section Thread)

Engine 001   70,113
Engine 002   35,2-09
Engine 003   138
Engine 004   6
Engine 005   57
Engine 006   2-20
Engine 007   31,113
Engine 008   5,44, 2-06
Engine 009   7
Engine 010   1,5
Engine 011   111,2-04
Engine 012   124
Engine 013   75,92,139
Engine 014   93
Engine 015   19,20,133
Engine 016   34
Engine 017   16,20,38,82,133
Engine 018   29
Engine 019   67
Engine 020   4,25,139
Engine 021   7
Engine 022   9
Engine 023   2-14
Engine 024   24
Engine 025   2-19
Engine 026   57
Engine 027   121
Engine 028   89,111
Engine 029   7,113
Engine 030   31
Engine 031   84,87
Engine 032   96
Engine 033   4,10
Engine 034   7,57
Engine 035   49,50, 2-16
Engine 036   49,50,143
Engine 037   18
Engine 038   2-19
Engine 039   8,15,75
Engine 040   6,118,145
Engine 041   13,2-03
Engine 042   67
Engine 043   
Engine 044   49,50
Engine 045   88,141
Engine 046   141
Engine 047   51
Engine 048   2,45,106
Engine 049   8,120,145
Engine 050   21
Engine 051   7
Engine 052   1
Engine 053   100
Engine 054   
Engine 055   87
Engine 056   74
Engine 057   1
Engine 058   146
Engine 059   
Engine 060   131
Engine 061   8
Engine 062   141
Engine 063   46,77,124
Engine 064   
Engine 065   44
Engine 066   39,51,55
Engine 067   93
Engine 068   
Engine 069   9,64,118
Engine 070   9,114
Engine 071   68,118
Engine 072   52,127,128
Engine 073   14,42,140
Engine 074   73,74
Engine 075   139
Engine 076   11
Engine 077   8
Engine 078   8,9,51
Engine 079   25
Engine 080   145
Engine 081   42
Engine 082   14,111,2-09
Engine 083   2-01,2-02
Engine 084   2-04
Engine 085   20,140,2-09, 2-14
Engine 086   1
Engine 087   1
Engine 088   82
Engine 089   61,145
Engine 090   63
Engine 091   48
Engine 092   2-11
Engine 093   76
Engine 094   13,31
Engine 095   
Engine 096   
Engine 097   46 

Engine 151   4,125
Engine 152   29,125
Engine 153   57,2-08
Engine 154   28,123,147
Engine 155   29
Engine 156   1,19,125
Engine 157   12,125
Engine 158   27
Engine 159   29,125
Engine 160   29,133
Engine 161   2,125
Engine 162   125,135
Engine 163   121
Engine 164   35
Engine 165   25,122
Engine 166   88
Engine 167   53
Engine 168   28
   
Engine 201   32
Engine 202   12,80
Engine 203   93
Engine 204   4,13,79
Engine 205   3,36,40
Engine 206   32,132
Engine 207   119
Engine 208   76
Engine 209   18,58,60,118
Engine 210   13
Engine 211   33,35
Engine 212   30,134
Engine 213   14,81
Engine 214   9,25
Engine 215   70,134
Engine 216   80
Engine 217   60
Engine 218   81,2-21
Engine 219   19,24,136,137
Engine 220   77
Engine 221   9
Engine 222   57
Engine 224   38
Engine 225   51,131
Engine 226   54
Engine 227   24,90,111
Engine 228   122
Engine 229   81,134,135
Engine 230   66
Engine 231   40
Engine 232   5,20,40,74,138
Engine 233   93
Engine 234   32,90
Engine 235   89,113
Engine 236   90
Engine 237   13,40
Engine 238   13,25,133
Engine 239   123
Engine 240   13,2-07
Engine 241   54
Engine 242   96
Engine 243   70,92,114
Engine 244   57, 2-13
Engine 245   1,44, 2-13
Engine 246   14,60,138
Engine 247   70
Engine 248   12,72,73,119
Engine 249   39,72
Engine 250   93
Engine 251   6,11,90
Engine 252   55
Engine 253   19
Engine 254   10,42
Engine 255   62, 2-18, 2-19
Engine 256   129, 2-14
Engine 257   26
Engine 258   2-18
Engine 259   3,27,115
Engine 260   12,21
Engine 261   78,136, 2-14
Engine 262   
Engine 263   11
Engine 264   3,20
Engine 265   6,7
Engine 266   6,10,2-07
Engine 267   10,31,2-07
Engine 268   31,122
Engine 269   27
Engine 270   4,81
Engine 271   12
Engine 272   2,43
Engine 273   
Engine 274   3,6
Engine 275   118,131
Engine 276   124
Engine 277   76
Engine 278   
Engine 279   96
Engine 280   31
Engine 281   116
Engine 282   
Engine 283   64
Engine 284   71
Engine 285   30
Engine 286   38
Engine 287   4,57,61,67,110,2-01
Engine 288   19,38,57
Engine 289   3,53
Engine 290   
Engine 291   2-19
Engine 292   36,110,2-01
Engine 293   2-08
Engine 294   79
Engine 295   43,111
Engine 296   10,44,99
Engine 297   146,147
Engine 298   118
Engine 299   88,118
Engine 301   
Engine 302   35
Engine 303   
Engine 304   71
Engine 305   50
Engine 306   38,67
Engine 307   29
Engine 308   95
Engine 309   94
Engine 310   97
Engine 311   85
Engine 312   135
Engine 313   60
Engine 314   97
Engine 315   2-05
Engine 316   124
Engine 317   123
Engine 318   44
Engine 319   42,43
Engine 320   94
Engine 321   38 
Engine 323   52
Engine 324   53
Engine 325   92
Engine 326   1,71
Engine 327   14,60,138
Engine 328   3,20
Engine 329   27
Engine 330   97
Engine 331   10,63,125
Engine 332   10,50,51
   
Ladder 001   31,113
Ladder 002   5,206
Ladder 003   4,57,94
Ladder 004   
Ladder 005   24
Ladder 006   
Ladder 007   
Ladder 008   31,99
Ladder 009   10
Ladder 010   7,31,113
Ladder 011   89,111
Ladder 012   138
Ladder 013   9,29
Ladder 014   49,50, 2-16
Ladder 015   1,5
Ladder 016   8,15,75
Ladder 017   131
Ladder 018   16,20,21,82,133
Ladder 019   21
Ladder 020   75
Ladder 021   7,57
Ladder 022   11
Ladder 023   145
Ladder 024   70
Ladder 025   73,74
Ladder 026   145,146
Ladder 027   141
Ladder 028   9
Ladder 029   2-01,2-02
Ladder 030   
Ladder 031   14,111,2-09
Ladder 032   21,46,141
Ladder 033   139
Ladder 034   2-04
Ladder 035   6,118,145
Ladder 036   
Ladder 037   25
Ladder 038   82
Ladder 039   9,46,64,93,118,124,145
Ladder 040   18
Ladder 041   63
Ladder 042   14,42,140
Ladder 043   48,100
Ladder 044   2-11
Ladder 045   76.93
Ladder 046   42
Ladder 047   
Ladder 048   13,31
Ladder 049   
Ladder 050   61
Ladder 051   2-19
Ladder 052   1
Ladder 053   9,52
Ladder 054   
Ladder 055   68,118
Ladder 056   67
Ladder 057   47,129
Ladder 058   88,141
Ladder 059   20,140
Ladder 060   47
Ladder 061   55
   
Ladder 076   4,125
Ladder 077   57,2-08
Ladder 078   29,54,125
Ladder 079   19,125
Ladder 080   12
Ladder 081   29,125,133
Ladder 082   135
Ladder 083   121
Ladder 084   35
Ladder 085   25,122,125
Ladder 086   88
Ladder 087   52
   
Ladder 101   12,80
Ladder 102   18,59,60,118
Ladder 103   14,19,87
Ladder 104   9,35
Ladder 105   7,24,136
Ladder 106   13,25,133
Ladder 107   48,50
Ladder 108   39
Ladder 109   54
Ladder 110   119
Ladder 111   9,25
Ladder 112   76
Ladder 113   39,72
Ladder 114   32,51
Ladder 115   2-18
Ladder 116   78,136
Ladder 117   11
Ladder 118   36
Ladder 119   11,33,35
Ladder 120   40
Ladder 121   6,7,10,31,2-07
Ladder 122   77
Ladder 123   90
Ladder 124   12
Ladder 125   81,2-05
Ladder 126   25
Ladder 127   118
Ladder 128   27,115
Ladder 129   
Ladder 130   10,44,99,146,147
Ladder 131   96
Ladder 132   31
Ladder 133   131
Ladder 134   3,20
Ladder 135   38
Ladder 136   36,38,57,61,67,110,2-01
Ladder 137   31,122
Ladder 138   
Ladder 139   
Ladder 140   2-19
Ladder 141   
Ladder 142   30
Ladder 143   79
Ladder 144   43,111
Ladder 145   
Ladder 146   81,134,135
Ladder 147   116
Ladder 148   
Ladder 149   71
Ladder 150   
Ladder 151   50
Ladder 152   38,67,88
Ladder 153   42
Ladder 154   29
Ladder 155   35,95
Ladder 156   124
Ladder 157   62,2-18
Ladder 158   85
Ladder 159   94
Ladder 160   71
Ladder 161   1,57
Ladder 162   71
Ladder 163   92,135
Ladder 164   60
Ladder 165   123
Ladder 166   44
Ladder 167   38,94
Ladder 168   70,92,114
Ladder 169   14,60,138
Ladder 170   26
Ladder 171   27,111
Ladder 172   97
Ladder 173   63,125
Ladder 174   97
Ladder 175   48,50
Ladder 176   20,74,93,138
TCU 712       2-14
   
BC01   31,113
BC02   24,84,87
BC03   13,14,31,75,2-09
BC04   16,20,133
BC05   29,31,75
BC06   4,57,93,94
BC07   29,138,2-09
BC08   5,44,2-06
BC09   
BC10   9,13,29,2-03
BC11   11,18
BC12   49,50,143
BC13   76,2-04
BC14   131
BC15   9,46,124
BC16   9,145,146
BC17   21,67,2-11
BC18   73,88,141
BC19   139
BC20   
BC21   29,2-08
BC22   12,19,125
BC23   
BC24   13
BC25   48
BC26   21,42,68
BC27   13,14,25,40,2-09
BC28   12,57
BC29   50,90
BC30   
BC31   119
BC32   12,79,93
BC33   124
BC34   18,58,59,60
BC35   39,81
BC36   13,25,133,2-01
BC37   57,81
BC38   32,90
BC39   90
BC40   32,70,122
BC41   12,72,73
BC42   70,71,92,114
BC43   1,14
BC44   40
BC45   27,115
BC46   11,53,61,67,110
BC47   7,31,122,2-07
BC48   13,77,2-07
BC49   124,135
BC50   118
BC51   79,95,131
BC52   2,43,111
BC53   38,71
BC54   123
BC55   10,14,42
BC56   
BC57   89,113
BC58   26,40,97
BC59   42,131
BC60   2-21
   
DC01   24,31,84,139
DC02   73,87,127
DC03   70,73
DC04   49,100
DC05   49,53,145
DC06   68
DC07   118,128,2-09
DC08   28,29,123,133,147
DC09   55
DC10   123
DC11   35,81,119
DC12   13,93,96,97
DC13   55,81
DC14   29,53
DC15   26,55,64,93
DC16   
DC17   55
   
RS01   29,30,31,38,44,57,139
RS02   13,32,138
RS03   68,76
RS04   36,110,124,2-01
RS05   29
RS06   

 
M1   1,38
M2   
M3   63,125
M4   
M5   9,51
M6   39,51,55
M7   
M8   5,145
M9   7
   
FP1      26
FP2      26
FP3      26
FP4      3, 26
FP5      26
FP6      2, 26
FP7      26
FP8      26
FP9      26
FP10     26
   
S4      127
CFCs   127
Sal      136
S2      140
   
TCUs   75
   
Water Towers    76,83
   
Hose   2-08


« Last Edit: Today at 01:40:43 AM by mack »

Offline mack

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4909
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 12:26:59 PM »
Engine 287/Ladder136/Battalion 46    Firehouse  86-53 Grand Avenue  Elmhurst, Queens  14th Division 46th Battalion "Elmhurst Eagles"

     Engine 287 organized 86-18 Broadway former firehouse Wandowenock Engine 1    1913
     Engine 287 new firehouse 86-53 Grand Avenue                                                   1914
     Engine 287 moved to 64-18 Queens Boulevard at Engine 292                               1996
     Engine 287 returned to 86-53 Grand Avenue                                                       1997

     Engine 287-2 organized 67-32 Queens Blvd former volunteer firehouse                 1913
     Engine 287-2 moved to new firehouse 64-18 Queens Blvd                                    1914
     Engine 287-2 became Engine 292                                                                       1918

     Ladder 136 organized 91-12 43rd Avenue former volunteer firehouse                    1913
     Ladder 136 new firehouse 86-53 Grand Avenue w/Engine 287                              1914
     Ladder 136 moved to 56-29 68th Street at Engine 288                                        1974
     Ladder 136 returned to 86-53 Grand Avenue at Engine 287                                 1976
     Ladder 136 moved to 64-18 Queens Boulevard at Engine 292                              1996
     Ladder 136 returned to 86-53 Grand Avenue at Engine 287                                 1997

     Battalion 2 LICFD organized 40-08 Astoria Boulevard at Engine 5 LICFD               1891
     Battalion 2 LICFD becomes Battalion 16 FDNY                                                    1898
     Battalion 16 becomes Battalion 36                                                                     1898
     Battalion 36 becomes Battalion 46                                                                     1906
     Battalion 46 new firehouse 42-06 Astoria Boulevard with Engine 163                    1909
     Battalion 46 disbanded                                                                                      1909
     Battalion 46 reorganized 86-18 Broadway w/Engine 287                                      1913
     Battalion 46 new firehouse 86-53 Grand Avenue w/Engine 287                            1914
     Battalion 46 moved to 97-28 43rd Avenue at Engine 289                                    1974
     Battalion 46 returned to 86-53 Grand Avenue at Engine 287                               1976
     Battalion 46 moved to 108-01 Horace Harding Expressway at Engine 324            1996
     Battalion 46 returned to 46-53 Grand Avenue at Engine 287                               1997


Note:  Elmhurst was protected by the volunteer Newtown Fire Department prior to 1913.  Elmhurst companies were:
     Wandowenock Engine 1  86-18 Broadway        1843-1913
     Wandowenock Ladder 1  86-18 Broadway        1890-1913
     Elmhurst Ladder 11  91-12 43rd Avenue          1896-1913


September 1, 1913:

     


86-18 Broadway (firehouse of Wandowenock Engine 1 and Ladder 1 - original firehouse Engine 287):   
   
     

     


Weathervane from 86-18 Broadway former firehouse:

     


91-12 43rd Avenue (original firehouse L 136 - firehouse of volunteer Elmhurst Ladder 11 ):

     


86-53 Grand Avenue:

     

     

     

     

     

     

     


Engine 287:

     
     
     

     

     


Ladder 136:

     

     

     


Battalion 46:

     

     


SSL-136:

     

     


Engine 287/Ladder 136/Battalion 46:

     

     

     


Engine 287/Ladder 136/Battalion 46 Centennial: 

     http://www.qchron.com/editions/central/firehouse-celebrates-years-in-queens/article_026ccdb8-f0a2-5792-a32a-c73f08ba7593.html


Ladder 136 FDNY Medals:

     FF JAMES J. FLOOD LAD. 136 OFF DUTY JUL. 4, 1944 PRENTICE

         

     LT WILLIAM A. SIEGEL BAT. 46 L-138 OCT. 29, 1981 HISPANIC

         

     LT JOHN W. COLLINS LAD. 136 APR. 23, 1986 SIGNAL 77

         

     FF ANTHONY SANNELLA, JR LAD. 136 FEB. 1, 1992 MARTIN


Engine 287/Ladder 136 LODDs: 

     FF Peter Farley, Ladder 136, fell sliding pole, August 16, 1949

         

     FF Joseph Dugan, Ladder 136, collision with Rescue 4, July 31, 1954

         
   
         

     FF Samuel A Schiller, Engine 324 detailed to Ladder 136, collision with Rescue 4, July 31, 1954

         

     FF Robert Dayton - Engine 287, November 26, 1988 - LODD Port Washington Fire Department - Captain Robert Dayton, a 28-year-old firefighter died after being trapped in a smoke-filled building.  It was the first time in 40 years that Port Washington's volunteer Fire Department had a LODD. Captain Dayton was a member of FDNY Engine 287 and was a volunteer in his hometown for 10 years.   

         

          http://www.pwfdhistory.com/g1/albums/memoriam_dayton/dpnews881208_pz_web.pdf

          http://www.pwfd.com/?page_id=567

     Capt Wayne Smith, burned Box 22-7876, 81-04 37th Avenue, died August 7, 1994

         

     FF Michael Cawley, World Trade Center, September 11, 2001

         

          http://www.ffmichaeljcawley.org/bio.html

          http://www.legacy.com/sept11/story.aspx?personid=126941

     FF Christopher Pickford, World Trade Center, September 11, 2001

         

          http://www.legacy.com/sept11/tnonline/story.aspx?personid=131674

         
 
     RIP.  Never forget.



Elmhurst: 

     

     Original Dutch name Middenburgh.  Changed to Newtown.  Then Elmhurst.

     https://www.flickr.com/photos/21253580@N06/with/2227501380/

     http://oldelmhurst.blogspot.com/

     http://forgotten-ny.com/2011/04/forgottentour-39-newtown-elmhurst-queens/



     

     

     

     


« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:30:56 PM by mack »

Offline mack

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4909
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 05:49:05 PM »
Captain Wayne E. Smith, Ladder 136

NYTimes  Death of Queens Fire Company's Leader Ends 59-Day Vigil
By JAMES BARRON
Published: October 5, 1994

"The signal -- a sequence of five bells repeated four times -- echoed through firehouses across the city yesterday. Slowly, solemnly, it confirmed what a telephone call had already told the firefighters at Ladder Company 136 in Elmhurst, Queens: the 59-day vigil for their commanding officer was over.

The commander, Capt. Wayne E. Smith, was trapped in a two-alarm fire on Aug. 7. With burns over 40 percent of his body and lung injuries from the air in the burning building at 81-04 37th Avenue, Captain Smith died at New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center. His wife, Connie, had kept a daily vigil. Fire Commissioner Howard Safir had stopped by nearly every day.

"Fifty-nine days of waiting for what was really the inevitable, unfortunately," Commissioner Safir said yesterday. "The prognosis from the beginning was extremely critical. We all hoped against hope."

Captain Smith, at 37 one of the youngest captains in the department, was the fifth firefighter to die in the line of duty this year.

At Captain Smith's firehouse -- its nickname, chosen by the firefighters and emblazoned on T-shirts they wear off duty, is Wayne's World -- the news seemed not to have sunk in, despite the telephone call, the bells and the flag at half-staff.

"There's a feeling like it's not really happening, that Wayne's going to wake up," said a firefighter, Duecy Smith, who is not related to Captain Smith.

He and other rank-and-file firefighters at Company 136 -- "truckies," they call themselves with pride -- remembered Captain Smith as someone who, in only nine months as a commander, had raised morale.

"To win over a firehouse that quickly takes considerable talent," Commissioner Safir said. "He was a real leader in the firehouse. No one was surprised that Wayne led his men into this fire and was right in front. They found him on the floor above where the fire was. One of the duties of a ladder company is to go above the fire floor and search for victims. That's exactly what Wayne was doing, putting his life in jeopardy to save others."

On the way in, firefighters faced huge volumes of smoke and flame. Captain Smith was one of the first to go inside.

Other firefighters discovered Captain Smith, overcome by the smoke, on an upper floor. Fourteen other firefighters were also injured, two seriously. Commissioner Safir said the blaze was still under investigation but is believed to have been caused by faulty electrical  wiring."


RIP.  Never forget.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 05:53:39 PM by mack »

Offline mack

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4909
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 05:52:51 PM »
Robert H. Dayton, Engine 287, was killed at an arson fire while serving as a member of Flower Hill Hose Co. #1, Nassau County, on, November 26, 1988.


3rd Alarm, 165 Main Street, Post Washington, LI
0729 hrs, November 26, 1988:

     

While commanding a search and rescue team at an apartment fire on Main Street, he became trapped and ran out of air. Due to the intense heat and smoke, repeated efforts to rescue Captain Dayton were unsuccessful. He was later pronounced dead at St. Francis Hospital. The Nassau County Police Homocide Squad and Fire Marshall’s Office later ruled the cause of the fire to be arson.

Captain Dayton attended Schreiber High School and later studied computers at Nassau Community College. He joined Flower Hill Hose Co. #1 at 18 years old. In addition to serving as a volunteer in Port Washington, he was also a professional firefighter with the Fire Department, City of New York, assigned to Engine Company 287 in Elmhurst, Queens. He was posthumously promoted to Captain of Flower Hill Hose Company #1.

The Port Washington Fire Department continued to mourn the loss of Captain Dayton. In 2010 the Town of North Hempstead renamed Haven Avenue, where Flower Hill Hose Co. #1 is located, Captain Robert H. Dayton Way.


RIP.  Never forget.

Online nfd2004

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4514
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 06:44:11 PM »
FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section - Thread continues 1st Section 

Many FDNY and NYC firehouses and berths served as quarters for FDNY, Brooklyn FD, Long Island City FD, fire patrols, police, airport, federal, military, commercial and volunteer departments and companies.  The original sheds which housed the first fire companies formed to protect NYC in the late 1700s and early 1800s are gone.  But many of the original firehouses built by the volunteer departments, FDNY, Brooklyn and LIC in the mid and late 1800s still exist - some operate as active firehouses, some serve community, business or housing purposes.  Current FDNY firehouses include historic and new state-of-the-art fire stations.  This thread is dedicated to the firehouses, their companies, their apparatus, their histories and the firefighters who served in them.

 "mack", let me THANK YOU for continuing with the FDNY and NYC Firehouse thread. By far the 1st section the MOST POPULAR and VIEWED thread on this site. As the year 2017 comes to a close and 2018 begins, that first thread had a total of 147 pages, about 2,200 replies and almost 800,000 views.

 The series now continues with "The 2nd Section", and I'm sure for many of us who have been around for awhile, we can certainly appreciate the newest title. Kind of rings a bell of those very busy days when the FDNY had so many fires and runs, some firehouses had to have TWO separate Engine Companies or maybe even TWO separate Ladder Companies operating out of the same firehouse. (examples: Engine 41-1, Engine 41-2, or Ladder 103-1, Ladder 103-2).

 With your most recent firehouse posting of Eng 287/Lad 136/B46, together some of us on this site had the privilege of visiting that firehouse a while back where the members there treated us GREAT.

 Thanks for the history, the pictures, the stories and the videos unique to each Firehouse of NYC that you post. As well as the many other contributions that other members have contributed as well.

 A GREAT start with only a few hours left to begin the New Year of 2018.

Offline mack

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4909
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 01:22:40 PM »
Battalion 46 - Originally organized as Battalion 2 in paid Long Island City Fire Department (LICFD) in Astoria at quarters of Engine 5 (LICFD - became Engine 263 FDNY ) and Ladder 4 (LICFD - became Ladder 117 FDNY).  Battalion 2 (LICFD) became Battalion 16 (FDNY), then Battalion 36, then was disbanded, then reorganized as Battalion 46 in Elmhurst.

     Battalion 2 (LICFD) organized 40-08 Astoria Boulevard at Engine 5 (LICFD) and Ladder 4 (LICFD)      1891
     Battalion 2 (LICFD) became Battalion 16 (FDNY)                                                                             1898
     Battalion 16 became Battalion 36                                                                                                   1898
     Battalion 36 became Battalion 46                                                                                                   1906
   
          40-08 Astoria Boulevard firehouse:
         
               
     
     Battalion 46 moved to firehouse 42-06 Astoria Boulevard with Engine 163/Ladder 67     1909
     
         
     
     Battalion 46 disbanded                                                                                      1909
     
     Battalion 46 reorganized 86-18 Broadway w/Engine 287                                       1913
     
         


Battalion 46 new firehouse 86-53 Grand Avenue w/Engine 287/Ladder 136            1914

         

         


     - thanks fdhistorian
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 08:17:46 PM by mack »

Offline fdhistorian

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 268
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 02:26:14 PM »
Battalion 46 - originally organized in Astoria at quarters of Engine 163 (became Engine 263) and Ladder 67 (became Ladder 117).  Engine 163 and Ladder 67 were paid Long Island City Fire Department companies located on Flushing Avenue (became Astoria Boulevard).  Battalion 46 was disbanded and then reorganized in Elmhurst at Engine 287 in 1913.

     Battalion 46 organized 40-08 Astoria Boulevard at Engine 163/Ladder 67               1906

     Battalion 46 moved firehouse 42-06 Astoria Boulevard with Engine 163/Ladder 67     1909
     
     Battalion 46 disbanded                                                                                      1909
 
     Battalion 46 reorganized 86-18 Broadway w/Engine 287                                  1913
     
     Battalion 46 new firehouse 86-53 Grand Avenue w/Engine 287/Ladder 136            1914


Originally, Battalion 46 came into the FDNY in 1898 as Queens Battalion 16 having been Long Island City Battalion 2.
Later in 1898, Queens Battalion 16 was renumbered as the original Battalion 36.
Battalion 36 was renumbered as Battalion 46 in 1906.
It was at 40-08 Astoria Blvd since 1894.

Offline 68jk09

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 9469
  • Gender: Male

Offline 68jk09

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 9469
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 10:11:55 PM »
Some more info on Fire Patrol 2 FH but i put it here because it also contains info on former FDNY FHs in other Boros....   https://untappedcities.com/2014/02/13/7-repurposed-fire-stations-in-nyc/?displayall=true  ....In the "untapped cities" link above ^^^^^ Picture #1 in addition to ENG*31 also housed SQ*8......... #4 ENG*30 originally had 3 Sections...after they were disbanded the bldg housed the Medical Office (into the late '60s until the MO moved to Lafayette St w/LAD*20) the Spring St FH also had SATELITE*2 by itself which was manned by 2 FFs.....prior to The FDNY Museum moving to Spring St they were in the third & then separate bay & 3 floor portion of the FH on Duane St attached to ENG*7...LAD*1...BN*1.....after 9-11 that 1/3 of the FH was used as a Command Center during the Recovery then it became Manhattan Boro Command for awhile...... #8 ENG*206 was 2 separate houses built together.....206 was in the left half & the right side although lettered for LAD*133 was never occupied .....& in the '50s/'60s was primarily for storage of old equipment & pretty deteriorated...the apparatus floor had some antique horse & hand drawn rigs that were later refurbished & placed in the basement office area of the Dept Shops....the 2nd floor had hundreds of WW2 4 gal galvanized "Stirrup Pumps" that had originally been all around NYC for use by Auxiliaries & or Air Wardens in case of an incendiary bomb attack by air.....the 3rd fl had hundreds of red Civil Defense steel pot helmets.....after 206 moved to the new Qtrs just over on Grand in the late '70s the old FH became a wicker basket sales place for many years....during Sandy both the old & new FHs flooded as nearby Newtown Creek rose....some of these FHs have been discussed in more detail in other posts but this is just a little info on these pictures....also continue scrolling the "untapped" link for some more interesting non FD but NYC places.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 10:15:59 PM by 68jk09 »

Offline mack

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4909
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 10:03:19 PM »
Engine 292  Firehouse  64-18 Queens Boulevard  Woodside, Queens  14th Division, 46th Battalion "Winfield Cougars"

     Engine 287-2 organized 67-32 Queens Boulevard at former volunteer quarters   1913
     Engine 287-2 new firehouse 64-18 Queens Boulevard                                       1914
     Engine 287-2 disbanded – became Engine 292                                                 1918
     Engine 292 organized 64-18 Queens Boulevard                                                1918

     Rescue 4 organized 64-18 Queens Boulevard at Engine 292                              1931
     Rescue 4 moved 30-89 21st Street at Engine 262                                            1996
     Rescue 4 returned 64-18 Queens Boulevard at Engine 292                               1997
     Rescue 4 moved 30-89 21st Street at Engine 262                                            1999
     Rescue 4 returned 64-18 Queens Boulevard at Engine 292                               2000
     Rescue 4 moved 27-12 Kearney St with Engine 316                                         2013
     Rescue 4 returned 64-18 Queens Blvd at Engine 292                                       2015
     
     Foam Unit Queens located 64-18 Queens Boulevard at Engine 292              1965-1972

     Ladder 136 located 64-18 Queens Boulevard at Engine 292                        1996-1997

 
Former Woodside volunteer company replaced by Engine 287-2 was Gooderson Engine 2 of the Newtown Fire Department.  Gooderson Engine 2 was organized in 1862 at Thompson Avenue (Queens Bouldvard) and Fisk Avenue.  Gooderson Engine 2 relocated a new firehouse at Thompson Avenue and Fisk Avenue (67-32 Queens Boulevard) in 1882.     

Original firehouse (Thompson Ave became Queens Blvd):

     

     

     


64-18 Queens Boulevard firehouse:

     

     

     

     

     

     
   
     


Engine 292:

     

     

     

     

     

     

     


     

     


Engine 292 - 1st due - 8/25/09 All-Hands 65th Pl & 50th Ave

     


Engine 292 FDNY Medal:

     FF John Marshall  February 1, 1956 Kane Medal


Engine 292 LODDs:

     LT Robert Grant, heart attack in quarters, March 25, 1932:

         

     LT Grant had been seriously injured as a member of Engine 23 in November 1913 when his steamer swerved to avoid a truck and he was thrown from apparatus.  He was also seriously injured as a member of Engine 33 in a collision with a hose wagon responding to a Manhattan fire in 1930. He was hospitalized for 3 months and required life-saving blood donations from 22 FFs.  He returned to full duty and was promoted to LT.
     

     FF Howard V. Colbert, KIA Saipan, Marianas Islands, WWII, July 9, 1944

          FF Colbert was killed on Saipan while serving as a Sergeant with Company H, 105th Infantry.

               

          Prior injury:

               


FF Vincent Schmitt. Engine 292, KIA, Belgium, WWII, January 6, 1945:

     

     


WWII Notes:

     The two Engine 292 members who were KIA during World War II have a sad similarity.  Both members fought in major WWII battles, the Battle of Saipan and the Battle of the Bulge.  Both battles had extremely high casualties and both were important Allied victories. Both Engine 292 members, unfortunately, lost their lives near the end of each battle.

FF Colbert - SGT US Army, 105th Infantry, KIA July 9, 1944

     Battle of Saipan:  The Battle of Saipan was a major battle of the Pacific campaign of World War II, fought on the island of Saipan in the Mariana Islands from June 15 to July 9, 1944. The US 2nd Marine Division, US 4th Marine Division and the US Army 27th Infantry Division defeated the 43rd Infantry Division of the Imperial Japanese Army, commanded by LT General Yoshitsugu Saito.
     By July 7, the Japanese had nowhere to retreat. Saito made plans for a final suicidal Banzai Charge. At dawn, with a group of 12 men carrying a great red flag in the lead, the remaining able-bodied troops — about 3,000 men — charged forward in the final attack. Amazingly, behind them came the wounded, with bandaged heads, crutches, and barely armed. The Japanese surged over the American front lines, engaging both Army and Marine units.
     MAJ Edward McCarthy, then in command of 2-105 Infantry and one of the few officers of the regiment to survive the attack, described the scene as follows: "It reminded me of one of those old cattle-stampede scenes of the movies. The camera is in a hole in the ground and you see the herd coming and they leap up and over you and are gone. Only the Japanese just kept coming and coming. I didn’t think they’d ever stop". This charge hit the 105th directly and violently, and the two lead battalions were overrun. LTC O'Brien led the defense in the 1-105 area, with a pistol in each hand and even manning a nearby .50 Caliber machine-gun until he was killed. When his body was found, there were 30 dead Japanese around him, and he received a posthumous Medal of Honor.
     When the carnage of the final charge finally ended, 2,295 dead Japanese lay in front of the 105th's positions, and another 2,016 lay intermingled or in the rear of the 105th's positions for a total of 4,311 dead. US casualties were also heavy, and 1-105 and 2-105 suffered 406 KIA and 512 WIA.  SGT Colbert was one of the KIAs and lost his life just before Saipan was declared "Secured".

     http://www.historynet.com/battle-of-saipan

FF Schmitt PVT US Army:

     PVT Schmitt was appointed to FDNY in 1939 just prior to the war.  He arrived in Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge, December 16, 1944 – January 25, 1945, which  was the last major German offensive campaign of World War II. It was launched through the densely forested Ardennes region in Belgium, France, and Luxembourg, on the Western Front, towards the end of World War II, in the European theatre. PVT Schmitt lost his life January 6, 1945, during the final German counter-offensive of the campaign.

     http://www.historynet.com/battle-of-the-bulge

RIP - Never forget.


Winfield history: 

     Named after General Winfield Scott

     http://forgotten-ny.com/2004/12/the-general-and-queens/

     1873 map:  http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/1700/Winfield+Town/Long+Island+1873/New+York/

          Note - Gooderson Engine 2 located at Columbia Avenue and North Shell Road (old street names)


     

     

     

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 01:33:53 PM by mack »

Offline mack

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4909
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 10:48:18 PM »
Looks like "141 Hook & Ladder 141" is lettered above left front door bay on this early photograph of Engine 292's firehouse:
 
     


Ladder 141 was never organized.

Offline mack

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4909
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 11:59:12 PM »
Gooderson Engine 2  Newtown Fire Department - Winfield, Long Island - Pre-FDNY Engine 292

     Gooderson Engine 2 was organized in 1862 at Thompson Avenue (Queens Boulevard) and Fisk Avenue. 
     Gooderson Engine 2 relocated a new firehouse at Thompson Avenue and Fisk Avenue (67-32 Queens Boulevard) in 1882.     


67-32 Queens Boulevard firehouse:

     

     


Gooderson Engine 2 members:

     

Offline mack

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4909
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 12:16:23 PM »
Engine 83/Ladder 29 Firehouse 618 East 138th Street, Mott Haven, Bronx 6th Division, 14th Battalion  "da' Bums on da' Hill"

     Engine 83 organized 618 East 138th Street w/Ladder 29                      1906

     Ladder 29 organized 618 East 138th Street w/Engine 83                      1906

     Bridge Chemical 63 located at 618 East 138th Street at Engine 83     1939-1944

     Satellite 2 located at 618 East 138th Street at Engine 83                  1965-1975


618 East 138th Street firehouse built 1906:

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

      


Engine 83:

     

     

     

     

     

     


Ladder 29:

     

     

     

     

     

     


Satellite 2:

     


Engine 83/Ladder 29 Videos:

     

     

     


Engine 83 FDNY Medals:

     CAPT MICHAEL J. CLEARY 1949 STEPHENSON

     LT FRANK M. JACOBY MAR. 11, 1969 KENNY

         

     LT ANTHONY J. ALVA  JAN. 18, 1973 CONRAN

          FDNY 1959-1990, "Tough Tony", retired Captain Ladder 19.

     FF JOHN T. DONNELLAN MAR. 16, 1980 BRUMMER


Ladder 29 FDNY Medals:

     FF JAMES J. FLEURY  APR. 7, 1973 DELEHANTY

     FF JOSEPH KREBBS  SEP. 21, 1974 STEUBEN

     FF ELI V. GIAQUINTO   JUN. 17, 1978 HISPANIC

         

     LT DENNIS P. MARTIN  MAR. 16, 1980 AMERICAN LEGION

          FDNY 1962-1995, retired Deputy Chief

     FF FRANK UNGARO  APR. 29, 1980 MC ELLIGOTT

     CAPT FRANCIS G. GRIFFIN JAN. 11, 1981 FIRE MARSHALS

         

     FF RICHARD P. KEARNS  DEC. 3, 1986 WILLIAMS

         

     FF ALFRED J. ZAHRA  DEC. 3, 1986 EMERALD

         

     FF JAMES M. KERLEY  MAY 21, 1992 FIRE CHIEFS


Engine 83/Ladder 29 LODDs:

     FF JOSEPH FINGER LADDER 29 December 25, 1906

          Christmas Day, 1906, FF Finger was driving Ladder 29 back to quarters from a fire at 271 Ryder Avenue. While turning from St. Ann’s Avenue onto East 138th Street, the horses bolted. FF Finger, not wearing a seat belt, was jerked from his seat to the ground and the wheels passed over him. Six other fireman were injured, none seriously. Once at Lincoln Hospital, doctors discovered that FF Finger suffered from internal injuries and six fractured ribs. He died shortly after arriving at the hospital.

     FF JOHN DUFFY ENGINE 83 September 7, 1915

          On September 6, 1915, Engine 83 responded to an excavation site on 138th Street near Cypress Avenue for a trapped 12 year old boy who had fallen into the work site.  In trying to rescue the boy, FF Duffy fell 20 feet into the site.  The boy, Aaron Steinburg of 609 East 138th Street and FF Duffy sustained injuries.  They were rescued and transported to Lincoln Hospital.  The boy had scalp lacerations and survived but FF Duffy died the next day from head and internal injuries.  FF Duffy was 45 years old and lived at 3825 Eagle Avenue in the Bronx.   

         


     FF THOMAS SCHOALES ENGINE 83 September 11, 2001

          FF Thomas Schoales, responded the World Trade Center terrorist attack on September 11, 2001, with members of Engine 4.  FF Schoales lost his life when the building collapsed while he was trying to save others.  FF Schoales was the son of BC Edward Schoales, FDNY.

         
 
         

          http://www.legacy.com/sept11/cantonrep/story.aspx?personid=147297

          https://nypost.com/2002/01/13/golden-boy-fireman-found-in-wtc-rubble/


     RIP.  Never forget.


Mott Haven:

     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mott_Haven,_Bronx

     http://forgotten-ny.com/2013/11/mott-haven%E2%80%94port-morris-bronx/


Pre-FDNY Mott Haven fire protection:

     Mott Haven Fire Department, a volunteer department, protected Mott Haven from the mid-1800s (unknown organization date) until it merged with the volunteer Morrisania Fire Department in 1856.  MFD provided fire protection until FDNY expanded into the Bronx when it was disbanded in 1874.

          Jackson Engine Company 4 served until 1874

          Mott Haven Ladder Company 2 served until 1874 at 2594 3rd Avenue

               Former firehouse current use: 
 
                   
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:07:28 PM by mack »

Offline mack

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4909
  • Gender: Male
Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 02:11:17 PM »
Engine 83/Ladder 29 firehouse - Landmarks Preservation Commission - 2012

     

Landmarks Preservation Commission: The firehouse was completed in 1905 and landmarked in 2012.  The building, an early example of a "two-vehicle-bay firehouse", was designed by Robert Kohn and incorporates "Vienna Secessionist" style.


FIREHOUSE, ENGINE COMPANY 83, HOOK & LADDER COMPANY 29,  618 East 138th Street (aka 618-620 East 138th Street), the Bronx.  Built 1904-05; Robert D. Kohn, architect.
 
LANDMARK SITE: Borough of the Bronx
 
     On May 15, 2012, the Landmarks Preservation Commission held a public hearing on the proposed designation as a Landmark of the Firehouse, Engine Company 83, Hook & Ladder Company 29 and the proposed designation of the related Landmark Site (Item No. 3).  The hearing had been duly advertised in accordance with the provisions of law.  There were two speakers in favor of designation: representatives of the Historic Districts Council and The Victorian Society New York. There were no speakers in opposition to designation. In addition, the Commission received a communication from the Fire Department of the City of New York in support of designation.
 
SUMMARY:

     The imposing two-story neo-Classical style Firehouse, Engine Company 83, Hook & Ladder Company 29, in the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx, was constructed in 1904-05 during the period when an enormous number of public structures were being placed in neighborhoods throughout the five boroughs following the Consolidation of Greater New York in 1898. The architect of this firehouse was Robert D. Kohn, a graduate of Columbia University and the Ecole des Beaux-Arts, who emerged around this time as one of the few American architects (like Emery Roth early in his career) who produced major designs influenced by the Vienna Secession, between about 1905 and 1915. An early example of the two-vehicular-bay firehouse, a type that predominated in New York City for the next quarter century, this building is clad in salmon-colored brick with a monumental three-bay limestone enframement on the first story and a bracketed terra-cotta cornice. Within the elegantly composed neo-Classical ornamental vocabulary are subtle Secessionist references. Engine Company 83, Hook & Ladder Company 29 has continuously served the neighborhood in this building since 1906.

DESCRIPTION AND ANALYSIS:
 
     Firefighting in New York - Even in the colonial period, the government of New York took the possibility of fire very seriously.  Under Dutch rule, all men were expected to participate in firefighting activities. After the English took over, the Common Council organized a force of 30 volunteer firefighters in 1737, operating two Newsham hand pumpers that had recently been imported from London. By 1798, the Fire Department of the City of New York (FDNY), under the supervision of a chief engineer and six subordinates, was officially established by an act of the New York State Legislature.    As the city grew, this force was augmented by new volunteer companies. In spite of growing numbers of firefighters and improvements in hoses and water supplies, fire was a significant threat in an increasingly densely built up city. Of particular significance was the “Great Fire” of December 16-17, 1835, which caused more damage to property than any other event in New York City. The damages resulting from several major fires which occurred between 1800 and 1850 led to the establishment of a building code, and an increase in the number of firemen from 600 in 1800 to more than 4,000 in 1865. Despite rapid growth, the department was often criticized for poor performance.  Intense competition between companies began to hinder firefighting with frequent brawls and acts of sabotage, often at the scenes of fires. During the Civil War, when fire personnel became harder to retain, public support grew for the creation of a professional firefighting force, similar to that established in other cities and to the professional police force that had been created in New York in 1845.   In May 1865, the State Legislature established the Metropolitan Fire District, comprising the cities of New York (south of 86th Street) and Brooklyn. The act abolished the volunteer system and created the Metropolitan Fire Department, a paid professional force under the jurisdiction of the state government.  By the end of the year, the city’s 124 volunteer companies with more than 4,000 men had retired or disbanded, to be replaced by 33 engine companies and 12 ladder companies operated by a force of 500 men. Immediate improvements included the use of more steam engines, horses, and a somewhat reliable telegraph system. A military model was adopted for the firefighters, which involved the use of specialization, discipline, and merit. By 1870, regular service was extended to the “suburban districts” north of 86th Street and expanded still farther north after the annexation of part of the Bronx in 1874. New techniques and equipment, including taller ladders and stronger steam engines, increased the department’s efficiency, as did the establishment, in 1883, of a training academy for personnel. The growth of the city during this period placed severe demands on the Fire Department to provide services, and in response the department undertook an ambitious building campaign. The area served by the FDNY nearly doubled after the Consolidation of Greater New York in 1898, when the departments in Brooklyn and numerous communities in Queens and Staten Island were incorporated into the city. After the turn of the century, the Fire Department acquired more modern apparatus and motorized vehicles, reflecting the need for faster response to fires in taller buildings. Throughout the 20th century, the department endeavored  to keep up with the evolving city and its firefighting needs. 
 
FIREHOUSE DESIGN:

     By the early 20th century, the firehouse as a building type had evolved from the wooden storage shed used during the 17th century to an imposing architectural expression of civic character. As early as 1853, Marriott Field had argued in his City Architecture: Designs for Dwelling Houses, Stores, Hotels, etc. for symbolic architectural expression in municipal buildings, including firehouses. The 1854 Fireman’s Hall, 153 Mercer Street, with its highly symbolic ornamentation, reflected this approach, using flambeaux, hooks, ladders, and trumpets for its ornament.  Between 1880 and 1895, Napoleon LeBrun & Son served as the official architectural firm for New York’s Fire Department, designing 42 firehouses in a massive effort to modernize the facilities and to accommodate the growing population of the city. Although the firm’s earliest designs were relatively simple, later buildings were more distinguished and more clearly identifiable as firehouses. While the basic function and requirements of the firehouse were established early in its history, LeBrun is credited with standardizing the program, and introducing some minor, but important, innovations in the plan.  Placing the horse stalls in the main part of the ground floor to reduce the time needed for hitching horses to the apparatus was one such innovation. Firehouses were usually located on mid-block sites because these were less expensive than more prominent corner sites. Since the sites were narrow, firehouses tended to be three stories tall, with the apparatus on the ground story and rooms for the company, including dormitory, kitchen and captain’s office, above. After 1895, the department commissioned a number of well-known architects to design firehouses.  Influenced by the Classical Revival which was highly popular throughout the country, New York firms such as Hoppin & Koen, Flagg & Chambers, Horgan & Slattery, and Robert D. Kohn created facades with bold Classical style designs.   
 
GROWTH OF MOTT HAVEN AND THE BRONX:

     The site of the Firehouse, Engine Company 83, Hook & Ladder Company 29 was originally part of the extensive land holdings purchased in 1670 by the Welsh-born Richard Morris (died 1672) and inherited in 1691 by his son Lewis Morris (1671-1746), later an Acting Governor of New York and Governor of New Jersey. Their estate, known as “Morrisania,” was part of Westchester County during the late 18th and most of the 19th centuries. In 1828, Jordan L. Mott, inventor of the coal-burning stove, bought a large tract of land in the southwestern part of Morrisania and established the Mott Haven Iron Works on the Harlem River at Third Avenue and 134th Street. The area around this business was developed with houses for Mott and his workers and became known as Mott Haven. Even though the larger area of Morrisania continued as a quiet, rural district, this section of Mott Haven developed more rapidly because of the expansion of the iron works and the advent of other industrial enterprises attracted by the Mott Haven Canal, which led from the Harlem River north to 138th Street. The New York & Harlem Railroad, incorporated in 1831, expanded over the Harlem River in 1840, bringing goods and people to the industrial community of Mott Haven. As the railroads and streetcars crossed the area, beginning in the 1860s, streets were laid out and land speculation began in earnest. In 1874, the townships of Morrisania, West Farms and Kingsbridge split from Westchester County and became the 23rd and 24th Wards of the City of New York, this area of the Bronx becoming known as the Annexed District. Beginning in the early 1880s, booster organizations such as the North Side Association advocated for infrastructure improvements; streets were paved, sewers dug, and mass transit lines brought the elevated trains to the Bronx. The El spurred tenement construction. By 1897, just a decade after the El began operation, the once vacant blocks east of Third Avenue were almost completely built over with solid brick buildings. This area held a mixture of building types: single-family rowhouses built in the late 1880s; multi-story apartment houses, built with increasing frequency in the 1890s; and various industrial and manufacturing establishments located along the neighborhood’s southern fringe. The population of the Bronx grew rapidly –  in 1890, there were 89,000 people living in the area of the Bronx known as the North Side, ten years later the population had more than doubled to over 200,000, and by 1915 the number had increased threefold to 616,000. As the population and number of new buildings increased,  protection from the ever present danger of fire became increasingly important. The firefighters of Engine Company 83, Hook & Ladder Company 29 played a vital role in the Mott Haven community.
 
ENGINE 83, HOOK & LADDER 28:

     In the mid-19th century, as the Mott Haven Iron Works and the neighborhood’s residential development expanded, fire protection in Mott Haven became increasingly important. A volunteer company, J. & L. Mott Ladder 2, was established in a three-story wooden building at 2608 Third Avenue. With the annexation of this section of the Bronx to New York City in 1874, this volunteer squad was disbanded and replaced at the same location with Hook & Ladder Company 17, which moved in 1877 into a  rented four-story brick stable nearby at 589 (later re-numbered 341) East 143rd Street. By 1891, this company had 12 men and officers stationed here, with two horses, and one roller-frame hook-and-ladder truck with a fifty-foot extension ladder. That year they fought 60 fires, out of the total 158 fires that occurred in the entire lower Bronx. Following the Consolidation of Greater New York in 1898, when the entire Bronx became part of the city, it benefitted, as did all five boroughs, from the construction of an enormous number of new public structures, placed in all neighborhoods. Hook and Ladder Company 17 received a new two-bay firehouse (1906-07), designed by Michael J. Garvin.9  Immediately after Consolidation, plans were made for a second engine company and firehouse to be located in Mott Haven. A three-story $24,000 firehouse was proposed for 898 (later re-numbered 618) East 138th Street near Cypress Avenue in 1899, and plans were produced by architect Manly N. Cutter, Deputy Building Superintendent of the Fire Department, but these were not acted upon. In December 1903, the Fire Department signed a contract with architect Robert D. Kohn to prepare plans and specifications. Kohn filed for a two-story firehouse in July 1904, and construction occurred between January and October 1905 at a cost of $41,698. The contractor was Alfred Nugent & Son, a firm that built numerous public buildings, such as schools and firehouses, during this period. The Real Estate Record & Builders Guide noted that “The site for the new building is in a district crowded with factories and tenements. At present there is no firehouse within a radius of half a mile.”  The firehouse is an early example of the two-vehicular-bay firehouse, a type that predominated in New York City for the next quarter century. Engine Company 83, Hook & Ladder Company 29 was officially organized in February 1906. It has continued to serve the neighborhood since that time.
 
THE ARCHITECT:

     Robert David Kohn (1870-1953), born in Manhattan, graduated from the College of the City of New York (1886) and Columbia University (1890), then attended the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris (1891-95). Upon his return to New York, he worked for a number of architectural firms before establishing his own independent practice in 1896. Among Kohn’s early commissions were town houses designed in an abstracted Beaux-Arts style, including 352-353 Riverside Drive (1899-1901); River Mansion, 337 Riverside Drive, and the neighboring 322 West 106th Street (1900-02); and 46 East 74th Street (1901-02).12 He was associate architect, with Carrere & Hastings, of the abstracted neo-Renaissance style New York Society for Ethical Culture School (1902-04), 33 Central Park West 13 (Kohn was a close personal friend of Dr. Felix Adler, the founder (1876) of the Society, and was a member and, later, president, of the congregation). His practice came to encompass warehouses, factories, and residential, commercial, office, and institutional buildings. Kohn emerged as one of the few American architects (like Emery Roth in his early career) who produced major designs influenced by the Vienna Secession, between about 1905 and 1915. These works, all aesthetically noteworthy and among Kohn’s most interesting work, included the Hermitage Hotel (1905-07; demolished), 592 Seventh Avenue, a bachelor apartment hotel; New York Evening Post Building (1906), 20 Vesey Street; Spero Building (1907-08), 23 West 21st Street, a store-and-loft structure for a wholesale millinery goods firm; and New York Society for Ethical Culture (1909-10), 2 West 64th Street.14 Kohn was married in 1905 to the sculptress Estelle Rumbold, who collaborated on the Evening Post and Ethical Culture projects.  Kohn’s Firehouse, Engine Company 83, Hook & Ladder Company 29 (1904-05), an imposing two-story neo-Classical style building, is clad in salmon-colored brick with a monumental three-bay limestone enframement on the first story and a bracketed terra-cotta cornice. Within the elegantly composed neo-Classical ornamental vocabulary are subtle Secessionist references, such as the concave segmental arches of the first-story enframement, the entablatures of the central pedestrian entrance and  first-story enframement, and the end terminating elements of the roof parapet. Kohn later explored a different modern aesthetic that sometimes referenced his earlier Secessionist influence, and presaged or paralleled such stylistic trends as modern Classicism and Art Deco. He designed the 11-story Auerbach & Sons factory (1915), 628-644 11th Avenue, which features vertical articulation, wide horizontal windows, and stylized geometric ornament, and additions to the R.H. Macy & Co. Department Store (1922-31), Seventh Avenue and West 34th Street.15 Kohn was a founder (1921) and president (1929) of the New York Building Congress and served as president of the American Institute of Architects (1930-32), director of the housing division of the Public Works Administration (1933-34), and vice president of the New York World’s Fair (1939-40), as well as a member of the fair’s board of design. He received the medal of honor in 1933 from the New York Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. Certain of his commissions were executed under the firm name of Robert D. Kohn & Associates. Kohn’s office address after 1917 was the same as architect Charles Butler’s,16 and he apparently formed a partnership with Butler that lasted, informally and formally, to at least 1952.17 They entered the competition for the design of the Nebraska State Capitol in 1919, and were responsible for the A.I. Namm & Son Department Store (1924-25, 1928-29), 454 Fulton Street, Brooklyn,18 and the 12-story Dorothy Gray Building (1928), 683 Fifth Avenue, which received a silver medal from the Fifth Avenue Association in 1929.19 Kohn and/or Butler joined with Clarence S. Stein on a number of projects. Stein (1883-1975), born in Rochester, New York, trained as an architect at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts (1908-11) and entered the office of Bertram G. Goodhue, where he became chief designer. Stein became best known as a pioneering planner, with Henry Wright, of housing projects and planned communities, including Sunnyside Gardens (1924-28), Queens, and Radburn, New Jersey (1928-32), for which Kohn was one of the architectural consultants. Among the collaborations of Kohn, Butler and Stein were: Parkwest Hospital (1925-26, Butler and Stein), 170 West 76th Street;20 Fieldston School buildings (1927-28, Kohn and Stein), operated by the Ethical Culture Society in Riverdale, the Bronx; Temple Emanu-El (1927-29, Kohn, Butler and Stein, with Mayers, Murray & Phillip), 840 Fifth Avenue; 21 and Fort Greene Houses (1942-44, Butler and Stein, with numerous other architects), Brooklyn.
 
DESCRIPTION - HISTORIC:

     Two-story neo-Classical style firehouse; salmon-colored brick cladding with three-bay, first-story limestone enframement; outer bays have historic pull-down paneled wood doors and historic FDNY company names; central bay has pedestrian entrance surmounted by entablature with bronze dedication plaque and segmental-arched window with leaded glass panes; three second-story tripartite windows with one-over-one double-hung wood sash; flagpole at central second-story window; bracketed terra-cotta cornice; roof parapet with stone coping and end terminating elements
 
ALTERATIONS:

     Metal pedestrian door; sidelights of central first-story leaded glass window; first-story electrical conduits and lighting fixtures  West Wall: paInted brick cladding, with a door; ventilating pipe 
 


     http://www.neighborhoodpreservationcenter.org/db/bb_files/2012-FirehouseEngineCompany83.pdf
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 02:26:50 PM by mack »