Author Topic: Winter Storm  (Read 1898 times)

Offline BoroCall

• Former:NYCRelief,Recovery,Support & counties
Winter Storm
« on: January 03, 2018, 07:02:29 PM »
Anyone know of any special FDNY plans for the pending storm.

The American model suggests over 8" in NYC, the European model suggests a little over 2".

Nycfire.net

Winter Storm
« on: January 03, 2018, 07:02:29 PM »

Offline DMA341

Re: Winter Storm
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 07:24:11 PM »
I haven't heard of any additional staffing of manpower or units.  A lot of guys seems to be questioning the reinstatement of the fifth man with the pending snow reports and recent increase in fire duty.  Personally, I would go with the European scale.  This country seems to get dumber by the day.

Offline BoroCall

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 07:38:29 PM »
I haven't heard of any additional staffing of manpower or units.  A lot of guys seems to be questioning the reinstatement of the fifth man with the pending snow reports and recent increase in fire duty.  Personally, I would go with the European scale.  This country seems to get dumber by the day.

The country or the administration??

Online FDNYSTATENISLAND

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 07:39:30 PM »
NYC Public Schools closed

Offline raybrag

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 08:09:52 PM »
The country or the administration??

Yes
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline BoroCall

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 08:56:38 PM »

Offline manhattan

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 10:51:20 PM »

Offline DMA341

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 09:28:13 AM »
5th man added to engine companies

Online nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 09:43:18 AM »
 Here at the ole' homestead about 100 or so miles east of NYC a Blizzard Warning has been put in effect. The governor has told all non essential workers to stay home. In fact, as I write this the snow is coming down and the wind has picked up. I know some places have added a few extra guys and manned a couple of spare rigs. I'm sure other vital services have also taken that into account.

So far, as anybody who lives here in the northeast knows, this has started out to be one very tough winter. 

Let's all hope that history does NOT repeat itself as some of us remember 40 years ago on Feb 5, 1978 - "The Blizzard of 1978" began. Most of the area had already had a lot of snow on the ground from previous snow storms. Then it started to snow again on February 5th. And that snow just kept on coming down the next day and the next day after that. Even the busy I-95 was closed down as cars could NOT move. Many places also lost power for those days.

Some fire depts. used snow mobiles to respond to calls. They used them to stretch lines from rigs to a hydrant or to remove sick or injured people towing a skid with the person in it to a waiting ambulance. Firefighters, Police officers, 911 dispatchers, public works employees, doctors, nurses, CNAs, etc were all held over at their jobs. In some cases from Feb 5th for 2-3 days straight. In many cases, even if they were able to go home, they couldn't get home.

For those workers who needed to report to work, usually the police brought them in. Also many citizens offered to drive these people to work in their 4 wheel drive vehicles.

Here is a little reminder of those days, just about 40 years ago. Meantime, for those who have to be out there, PLEASE just be careful okay.

Offline grumpy grizzly

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 01:00:40 PM »
Boston Fire companies responding to Long Wharf report extensive flooding @ Long and Commercial Wharf's, Atlantic Ave. Also Ladder 34 placed in service, unknown firehouse.
FAC 20 TASS 68-69 SVN. Hue/PhuBai , Boston Spark from 71-79, Chicago 79-15, Bloomington/Normal 2015- present

Offline squarewheels

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 01:50:59 PM »
what time was the 5th man added????
they closed schools the night before the storm.
SMH

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 04:20:30 PM »
what time was the 5th man added????
they closed schools the night before the storm.
SMH
0830 hrs this morning.

Offline kfd274

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 12:00:03 PM »
Here at the ole' homestead about 100 or so miles east of NYC a Blizzard Warning has been put in effect. The governor has told all non essential workers to stay home. In fact, as I write this the snow is coming down and the wind has picked up. I know some places have added a few extra guys and manned a couple of spare rigs. I'm sure other vital services have also taken that into account.

So far, as anybody who lives here in the northeast knows, this has started out to be one very tough winter. 

Let's all hope that history does NOT repeat itself as some of us remember 40 years ago on Feb 5, 1978 - "The Blizzard of 1978" began. Most of the area had already had a lot of snow on the ground from previous snow storms. Then it started to snow again on February 5th. And that snow just kept on coming down the next day and the next day after that. Even the busy I-95 was closed down as cars could NOT move. Many places also lost power for those days.

Some fire depts. used snow mobiles to respond to calls. They used them to stretch lines from rigs to a hydrant or to remove sick or injured people towing a skid with the person in it to a waiting ambulance. Firefighters, Police officers, 911 dispatchers, public works employees, doctors, nurses, CNAs, etc were all held over at their jobs. In some cases from Feb 5th for 2-3 days straight. In many cases, even if they were able to go home, they couldn't get home.

For those workers who needed to report to work, usually the police brought them in. Also many citizens offered to drive these people to work in their 4 wheel drive vehicles.

Here is a little reminder of those days, just about 40 years ago. Meantime, for those who have to be out there, PLEASE just be careful okay.

Remember this storm well.     Our son, now a  Doctor at  Boston Children's Hospital was baptized on that Sunday.  Snow began early Monday morning, (we were living in Nassau County, Long Island)  and  it kept coming.  We were out of commission for over a week.  The LIE was paralyzed . thanks for the memories Bill   8)

Offline tem217

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 01:59:24 PM »
weather prediction for Monday hi 30s maybe even the low 40s...
snow will be melting and mixing with the salt on the roads...
manhole fires..carbon monoxide..use caution