Author Topic: Surviving a May Day  (Read 1338 times)

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
Surviving a May Day
« on: March 11, 2018, 11:14:19 PM »
 A Providence, RI Firefighter tells his story of surviving a mayday.

Nycfire.net

Surviving a May Day
« on: March 11, 2018, 11:14:19 PM »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
Re: Surviving a May Day
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 09:17:47 AM »
 Let me begin by welcoming Providence Firefighter Dan Rinaldi here as one of our newest members with the user name of "Dan R" on this site.

Dan has returned to the job he loves doing best. That of being a firefighter assigned to the City of Providence heavy rescue company called: "Special Hazards 1" running out of fire headquarters.

I recently met up with Dan and hearing his survival story is nothing short of a miracle. In fact Dan relates to it as what he considers to be similar to "The Miracle on the Hudson", when everyone survived a crash of a large airliner which landed on the Hudson River.

When I met up with Dan, I was able to hear the actual fire ground radio transmission during Dan's entrapment (which can NOT be released at this time). I also saw photos taken after of the fire, the building, the amount of debris from the collapse etc. Photos of just what Dan, and that GREAT GROUP of firefighters faced trying to get him out from under the entire weight of that wood frame peaked roof.

The amount of debris, the fact that the fire was burning below them (Dan was trapped on the second floor), above them, and in the walls on the sides of them, with zero visibility, as the clock kept ticking created much concern. Plus the fact that at this point, the building is unstable. 

As a buff, and once a firefighter, this survival story is one that goes at the top of the list. At one point Dan was all alone with his leg pinned under the weight of this entire roof and debris. His radio that he had used earlier had been destroyed in the collapse and he had no way of calling for help. The fire was increasing in intensity and his left leg was being burned through his bunker pants. He was also running out of air. There was zero visibility from the smoke and high heat build up as the building was burning.

During the 30 plus minutes, from the time the roof collapsed on him to the time he was rescued, if just one small link in the chain of events went wrong, Dan would not be here today.

As I try to put my facts together to this Amazing Survival Story, I'll try add to this story from what Dan told me.

anything