Author Topic: Open Letter to Members  (Read 1521 times)

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
Open Letter to Members
« on: April 18, 2018, 11:13:17 AM »
 I have been a member of this site for a long time. Most of my BEST FRIENDS are here. They are from all walks of life and I respect them all for the people they are. For me I consider it an HONOR to have such good friends. All of which have the same interest in the fire service as I do, particularly the FDNY.

That friendship and respect goes both ways, not only from guys in NYC, but throughout the United States. Even across the ocean. For many of us there seems to be our own form of Brotherhood. I've been a member on other fire department web sites and I've never seen such a friendly group of guys among a crowd. A very well mannered, respected group of individuals. Some I've never even met but we do communicate as friends.

After reading some comments made by one or two individuals at a recent 4 alarm fire, I decided to send the owner and operators of this site an email on just how I felt. I sent it to Retired FDNY Captain John Bendick and his son, FDNY Lt Tommy Bendick. I have become good friends with both. Both well respected members of the FDNY, and certainly respected by me.

In my own case, if not for these two friends of mine and this web site, things might have been very different for me. Because of them I am now good friends with some of the greatest people I ever meet.

So after reading those very negative comments on this site, I decided to send this email to the Bendicks. But before posting that email, I wanted to make sure it's okay to put on here and Capt Bendick gave me the okay.

Quote:

John, for all of us that use this web site, Nycfire.net, is a privilege. And like a drivers license being a privilege, it can be taken away if used improperly. I think that you and Tommy should have the right to take such action against anyone who violates any common sense rules. Any one who insults another member or hurts any department should understand the possibility exist of immediate removal from this site.

Violation of any of the rules on this site could cause for immediate termination.

I also think that for a first offender, the post should be removed and the member causing the issue receive a written warning that no such activity shall continue. Or that member will be removed from the site.

John, we are all very lucky to have this site. We don't pay one dime out of our own pockets for the privilege of having it.

I would think that you and Tommy have the right to run it as you see fit. If somebody objects, they can move on.

I know that everybody that I've met from this site appreciates it. So, "YOU GOT OUR VOTE - 100%".

"End of Quote"

Willy

Nycfire.net

Open Letter to Members
« on: April 18, 2018, 11:13:17 AM »

Offline raybrag

Re: Open Letter to Members
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 11:37:19 AM »
Bill, I couldn't agree with you more.  The Bendicks have been absolutely super in what they have done for this site, and for providing the FDNY feeds to Broadcastify.com.  While I occasionally disagree with some of the folks here, I consider all of them to be my friends, and the idea of me second-guessing any of them regarding fireground operations or FDNY procedure (especially those with more than my couple of years experience as a vollie in the open cab/rear step era) is totally foreign to me.  I did disagree the other day with one of Capt. John's posts about there being no experts on this site, because I think there are MANY experts who regularly post (BTW, Capt John is one of them).  And not just the guys with time on the job in FDNY.  I doubt that there is anybody out there with more knowledge of FDNY apparatus history than Tom Eve (except maybe Jack Lerch), and who could provide more info on FDNY dispatching than Frank Raffa.  You are due many kudos for organizing member get togethers in many locations, and you and your faithful companion and sidekick Frank (he'll love that description) are well respected for it, even if you do get a lot of (well deserved) Big Mac barbs.  I also agree with your suggestion that troublemakers should be warned and then banished from the site if they continue.
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline mikeindabronx

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 12:27:20 PM »
Bill & Ray, you have addressed this situation very elegantly.  I agree 100 %

Offline fdce54

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 01:34:27 PM »
Well said Willie. So you're the Lone Ranger and I'm Tonto? Or is it you're Batman and I'm Robin???
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 05:27:58 PM by fdce54 »

Offline raybrag

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 02:10:35 PM »
Hi ho, Silver!  Get'um up, Scout!
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline STAjo

• Former NY State EMT, NYC Security, Buff
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 05:07:57 PM »

Wow !  I Most Wholeheartedly Agree w/ all comments expressing our unending gratitude to the
 Bendicks, as well as the well-informed and well-intentioned commentary here.

Recently, I've moved from Wallkill to Pine Bush, NY. As a result of relocating, cleaning, packing, un-packing,
getting settled in, my time here has been limited. Therefore, I've missed whatever Controversy has transpired, (and, Glad
of it !). Having been able to check-in briefly from time-to-time, I imagine it has Something to w/ the recent Brooklyn 4th.  ???
 I Love being involved here, I Love the Company we all enjoy here, and hope that like any Family, we can put our differnces behind us, lick our wounds, and move on.
 Again, Our Thanks to the Bendicks, to all the well-meaning Contributors, and Always, FDNY for thier Brave and Dedicated Service.   8)

Offline manhattan

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 10:54:02 PM »
Thanks for posting this, Bill Ė I couldnít say it better. 

One of the great things about the site is that everybody shows themselves to be gentlemanly and adult.  Some differences of opinion, sure, but no egos or nastiness.  Everybody's willing to ask questions and learn, and everyone's willing to help with a well-intended answer.  For me, itís really as much of an educational site as anything else.  Folks who want to cause dissension will eventually lead to degradation of this great effort by the Bendicks and those who really contribute to the greater good.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 11:28:10 PM »
^^^^^^^ Well said Willy as well as the others commenting above.

Offline 1261Truckie

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 07:39:23 AM »
Well said, Willy. I completely agree.

Offline CFDMarshal

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 08:47:54 AM »
Well Stated Bill! I agree 100%!

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 05:10:27 PM »
I agree with Bill, Ray and the other members above 100%.  I enjoy and respect members on this site and feel they are colleagues and friends.  This is not a place for derisive comments or remarks which insult or ridicule.

Thank you to John Sr, Tommy, Mike, Jack, Bill, Steve, Frank, Ray, Tom, Mike, Rev, Declan, Joey, ..... and all the members who make up this site.

Offline JOR176

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 09:10:31 PM »
Willie, I agree 100% and BTW great seeing you the other night and thanks for coming down I know it's a long trip.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 04:53:00 AM »
Willie, I agree 100% and BTW great seeing you the other night and thanks for coming down I know it's a long trip.
Good seeing all the guys from near & far the other night enjoying sustenance across the mahogany & reminiscing about the Job.

anything