Author Topic: RAIN/WIND STORM.  (Read 581 times)

Offline 68jk09

RAIN/WIND STORM.
« on: May 15, 2018, 06:26:32 PM »
Due to current storm all Harlem, Hudson, & New Haven Line services are suspended on the Metro-North Railroad.

Nycfire.net

RAIN/WIND STORM.
« on: May 15, 2018, 06:26:32 PM »

Offline manhattan

Re: RAIN/WIND STORM.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 08:49:42 PM »
The sunset from here was magnificent.  Gold skies over Jersey and all the west-facing buildings in Manhattan reflecting a gold light.  There really is a majesty in nature.

Offline BoroCall

• Former:NYCRelief,Recovery,Support & counties
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 10:13:12 PM »
The sunset from here was magnificent.  Gold skies over Jersey and all the west-facing buildings in Manhattan reflecting a gold light.  There really is a majesty in nature.

I think there is a saying "Red sky at night, a sailors delight".

Offline STAjo

• Former NY State EMT, NYC Security, Buff
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 05:05:33 PM »
 Back 'On The Air' [10-8] after just over 48 hr.s of No Power/Cable/Internet

Power went Down approx. 16:15 hr.s  5/15, Restored Today @ 16:30 (TG; Landlord has a Generator - Provided
Intermittent periods of Electric Service.)

I'm in Pine Bush,  NY, approx. 30 Mi. West of Newburgh at Orange/Ulster Co. Line & This Area Got 'Tore-UP'!
 Thank God Also for Dedicated Professional/ Volunteer Professional Emergency Responders and Utility Workers
who labored under Hazardous Conditions, to ensure our Safety & Comfort.

It's Good to back On-line w/ you Great Folks !   8)

Offline JOR176

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 08:35:30 PM »

I think there is a saying "Red sky at night, a sailors delight".

I remember it as "Orange At Night Fishermans Delight"

Offline raybrag

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 08:44:29 PM »
In Matthew 16:2b3, Jesus says:

When it is evening, you say, "It will be fair weather; for the sky is red."
And in the morning, "It will be stormy today, for the sky is red and threatening."

As an old USAF meteorologist, I can assure you that this adage has been used to forecast the weather for more than 2,000 years.  In more modern times, it became:

Red sky at night, sailors' delight.
Red sky at morning, sailors take warning.

It is based on the reddish glow of the morning or evening sky, caused by haze or clouds related to storms in the region. If the morning skies are red, it is because clear skies over the horizon to the east permit the sun to light the undersides of moisture-bearing clouds. The saying assumes that more such clouds are coming in from the west. Conversely, in order to see red clouds in the evening, sunlight must have a clear path from the west, so therefore the prevailing westerly wind must be bringing clear skies.

It only works in the mid-latitudes, where the prevailing winds blow from west to east.

Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline manhattan

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 08:55:24 PM »
That's the first clear, concise and understandable definition of the saying that I've ever heard.  Thanks, raybrag.

anything