Author Topic: "My younger Buff years" thread - 400K visits  (Read 719 times)

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
"My younger Buff years" thread - 400K visits
« on: May 21, 2018, 08:12:49 AM »
"My younger Buff years" thread has surpassed 400,000 visits!  This thread has great stories, histories, personal accounts of FDNY and other cities and counties past fires, incidents, working conditions, innovations, apparatus and most important - firefighters. 

Accounts are from firefighters, officers, chiefs, dispatchers, cops, Medics, EMTs, ex-Fire Patrol, Sanitation, fire buffs, visitors - retired, on-the-job and future members - young and not young - FDNY and many other departments.  Let's continue to add more stuff and enjoy the many stories.

Thank you - Willie D.  Great job!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 08:37:57 AM by mack »

Nycfire.net

"My younger Buff years" thread - 400K visits
« on: May 21, 2018, 08:12:49 AM »

Offline manhattan

Re: "My younger Buff years" thread - 400K visits
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 08:43:24 AM »
Well said, mack!  Willie D. sets a high standard and is to be congratulated.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 09:44:39 AM »
 Thank you and of course the people who REALLY deserve that "pat on the back" are the guys that were the "Star of the Show". But this was no TV series or Movie hit. It was the reality of what REALLY WENT ON IN MANY PARTS OF NEW YORK CITY. In some cases only a few blocks from societies MOST RICH and FAMOUS. From Manhattans luxury upper East Side to the burned out vacant tenements of Harlem.

I was once invited to visit a relative of a guy I knew. This relative lived in the area of Park Ave and 86th St. Maids, doorman, etc. I think he was a very well known attorney in NYC. His kids. as most kids do, liked hearing stories about fire trucks. So "we" (myself and the kids) hit it off great. After that, the maid cooked us a great meal that only could be gotten at the most famous restaurants of the city.

However, I knew that only a few blocks away was the ghetto streets of Harlem. A completely different world of where fires and drugs were a part of everyday life.

I guess Retired Chief Bob M, aka *******, on here puts it best. It was the Best and the Worst of times. For a young guy who wanted to learn just from watching the fire dept do what they do best "It was the Best of Times". But for the families who lost personnel property and maybe their own family members "it was the Worst of Times". And for the families and members of the FDNY who lost their own because of so many fires and the extremely dangerous conditions it was also "The Worst of Times".

When I first joined this site, I wanted to tell my story as a buff. I thought it was the perfect place that maybe I could give somebody who never saw it, some idea of what it was like. As time went on I got messages from guys telling me more about it and I started talking to guys that helped me add to it.

I remember the first guy that invited me to join him for a dinner where we could talk about those days. He was a War Years Firefighter on some of the busiest companies in the Bronx. My wife (who has since passed away) was invited too. I remember driving home saying to her, "Do you have any idea of the kind of work this guy did" ? I told her as far as I'm concerned "this guy can walk on water". Since then I've become good friends with him and a few other guys known as the FDNY War Years Firefighters. I remember saying to a buff buddy of mine, "if we could only meet up with a couple of those guys". All we would ask them to do is TALK. We'd listen and the beers are on us". 

Offline CFDMarshal

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 10:02:24 AM »
I'm really not sure how I found the site but I am sure proud that I did! Young William Dennis' stories gave me insight to what I could only get bits and pieces before. I feel there are several books out there in the mind and stories of many of the members of this site. Please keep the stories coming and when the publisher calls, please answer!

Offline Ala117

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 08:07:25 PM »
Mack: 
Thanks for posting the message regarding the "My younger Buff years" thread. I have been on this site for 3 years and unfortunately had not come across this thread before. Special thanks to NFD2004 and others that contributed to it. It was like one of those books that you can't put down, but I only got through page 18 today ☹️.

It brought back many memories of the War Years when I lived across from and went to school in Manhattan, and was a buff at the firehouse around the corner from where I lived. Used to listen to FDNY Manhattan & Bronx on a multi band radio (hard to get other boros), which had constant radio traffic most nights. Lost touch with FDNY when I moved out of the area until a few years ago when I found FDNY videos, audio and documentaries on YouTube, and found this site.

For those that haven't seen this thread, it is in the General Category, History section. You will enjoy the war stories.