Author Topic: 5/22/18 Staten Island  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Signal73

• See You At The Big 1
5/22/18 Staten Island
« on: May 22, 2018, 08:07:07 PM »
Unknown on the location or type of incident

B-21 10-99 at this location

Duration. An hour plus

Any more with more info?
Remember to take it coming in

Nycfire.net

5/22/18 Staten Island
« on: May 22, 2018, 08:07:07 PM »

Offline UnitWithTheUrgent

Re: 5/22/18 Staten Island
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 08:14:36 PM »
E-153 stuck in the mud up against a tree. TL-77 requested the Battalion to respond. didn't catch the location.

Offline Signal73

• See You At The Big 1
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 09:27:37 PM »
Out of the mud at 21:26
Remember to take it coming in

Offline Mike M

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 10:39:43 PM »
The box was 207 - Shelterview Drive and Van Duzer Street.

Shelterview is an insanely narrow and winding dead end road that has about 5-6 houses on it. It sits underneath the backyards of the large homes along Howard Av.

I always wondered how they would get in there if there was a major incident.

Sanitation can only access these houses with a pick-up truck for the twice-weekly collection.

Google Map #2 Shelterview Drive, zip is 10304. You'll see what I mean.

Offline manhattan

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 11:11:56 PM »
There are several passageways – I wouldn’t even call them streets – like that going up the hill from Van Duzer to Howard Avenue. Signal Hill, Oakland Terrace and Hillside come immediately to mind.  Someday there’s going to be an incident on one of these and the media will have a field day assigning blame because emergency personnel couldn’t access the problem in a timely manner.

Offline FDNYSTATENISLAND

• Future FDNY
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 01:22:35 AM »
There are several passageways – I wouldn’t even call them streets – like that going up the hill from Van Duzer to Howard Avenue. Signal Hill, Oakland Terrace and Hillside come immediately to mind.  Someday there’s going to be an incident on one of these and the media will have a field day assigning blame because emergency personnel couldn’t access the problem in a timely manner.
I consider them driveways off a main road lol. These "streets". I checked out Shelterview Drive on street view, I thought it was a hidden driveway off of Van Duzer for a second until I noticed the street sign saying it was Shelterview! These roads are all over the island. There is one block right at the intersection of Amboy Road and Greaves Avenue in Great Kills that I ALWAYS think about when I pass it: how the hell would an AH assignment get anywhere close to the house if need be. Sure, engines can hook up from a distance but first due L82 and second due TL87 are going to have a tough time accessing the front of the fire building one day. The block is Oak Lane. Looks like a driveway from Greaves until you drive down half a block or so of trees until you reach a few PD's.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:24:28 AM by FDNYSTATENISLAND »

Offline Mike M

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 09:45:49 AM »

Speaking of Oakland Terrace - March 8th -  fully loaded spreader about 30 tons kept sliding, guard rail kept it from going over and through someone's roof the house beneath that 'cliff'. Took 12 hours and the co-ordination of two large wreckers to get it back on the road.

https://flic.kr/p/27pJ5DC

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 10:42:26 AM »
Last week's all hands in New Dorp beach was another neighborhood with tight, narrow streets.  This was originally a summer beach neighborhood with bungalows that have been significantly developed over the years. 

Offline memory master

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 07:18:23 PM »
Try to get a look at the size of the "streets" within that townhouse development off of Arthur Kill road near St. John's church. The development that was intended for Navy housing. If you double park I/f/o a townhouse that street is basically closed. I remember one particular ambulance call there late one night where the guys were tending to a seriously ill patient and some miscreant rand the door bell and asked the patient's wife to tell us to move the bus so they could get through.

anything