Author Topic: New Squad Co for Staten Island  (Read 167277 times)

capthale

Re: New Squad Co for Staten Island
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2018, 05:32:23 PM »
E165 already has there second piece hmtu

Nycfire.net

« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2018, 05:32:23 PM »

Offline raybrag

« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2018, 05:56:59 PM »
I personally think allot are confused with the Squad sign.  I feel they were trying to show that there will be 8 Squad company's in the FDNY....   

ENGINE COMPANY 154 will be designated SQUAD CO.  154

Well, I'm not the GMan (although sometimes I wish I had his knowledge), but I'm inclined to disagree with you, Aux.  The sign that the Commissioner had next to him clearly stated "Squad Company 8", not "Squad Company 154".  Also, Peter Haskell of WCBS radio reported that Squad 8 will "join Engine 154 in Travis", which suggests that it will be an entirely new company.  Of course, we have to assume he's right, since reporters NEVER make mistakes, right?  ::) ::) But who knows . . . stranger things have happened.

https://wcbs880.radio.com/articles/news/specially-trained-fire-squad-coming-staten-island
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline Bulldog

« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2018, 06:03:48 PM »
G-MAN.........   PLEASE CHIME IN ANY ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS SINCE YOU ARE BY THE S.I. BIG HOUSE... 160/5/8/TAC ECT ECT

I personally think allot are confused with the Squad sign.  I feel they were trying to show that there will be 8 Squad company's in the FDNY....   

THE FOAM UNIT WILL BE ASSIGNED TO ANOTHER UNIT THAT HAS ROOM IN THERE QUARTERS.

THE JOB SHOULD REFURBISH ONE OF THE BETTER SPARES (2008) AND ASSIGN IT TO E 165

THE JOB SHOULD TAKE E 165s  SQUAD STYLE RIG RELETTER IT AND ASSIGN IT TO E 154 ( SQ 154 )

WHEN THE FIRST NEW KME ARRIVES ( KP 19001)  ASSIGN IT TO E 165

WHEN THE NEW SQUAD APPARATUS ARRIVES ASSIGN IT TO
SQUAD 154 AND PUT THERE APPARATUS INTO THE SQUAD SPARE POOL.

E 165 WILL BE THE S.I. HAZ MAT ENGINE AND GET A 2ND PIECE

G-MAN ????????
That certainly sounds like some reasonable assumptions although things don't actually happen reasonably a lot of the time.

Offline guitarman314

• Photobucket
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2018, 09:15:28 PM »
G-MAN.........   PLEASE CHIME IN ANY ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS SINCE YOU ARE BY THE S.I. BIG HOUSE... 160/5/8/TAC ECT ECT

THE FOAM UNIT WILL BE ASSIGNED TO ANOTHER UNIT THAT HAS ROOM IN THERE QUARTERS.

THE JOB SHOULD REFURBISH ONE OF THE BETTER SPARES (2008) AND ASSIGN IT TO E 165

THE JOB SHOULD TAKE E 165s  SQUAD STYLE RIG RELETTER IT AND ASSIGN IT TO E 154 ( SQ 154 )

WHEN THE FIRST NEW KME ARRIVES ( KP 19001)  ASSIGN IT TO E 165

WHEN THE NEW SQUAD APPARATUS ARRIVES ASSIGN IT TO
SQUAD 154 AND PUT THERE APPARATUS INTO THE SQUAD SPARE POOL.

E 165 WILL BE THE S.I. HAZ MAT ENGINE AND GET A 2ND PIECE

G-MAN ????????
  I agree with everything you said, you Doug.

Offline FDNYSTATENISLAND

« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2018, 09:23:03 PM »
All valid points, but seems like a lot of moving around of apparatus and whatnot. Plus being itís NYC, that could take some time. I too think it would be Squad Company 8, and if itís not that sign is extremely misleading lol.

capthale

« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2018, 09:40:43 PM »
What does history say some of the other squads are named after the House   Correct.

Offline fdny747

« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2018, 09:43:24 PM »
Yes that is very true all of them are except Squad 1 I think.  I think from looking at the picture with the Chief and Comm. I think they made it Squad 8 maybe since it's in Div. 8 and also maybe since they want to not loose an engine company in SI
E-18
E-41
E-61
E-252
E-270
E-288
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 09:46:52 PM by fdny747 »

Offline fdhistorian

« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2018, 11:16:12 PM »
What does history say some of the other squads are named after the House   Correct.

The WWII era squads were numbered 21, 22, 24 (don't know why 23 was not used)

The squads of the mid 50's to 70's were numbered 1 to 9.

The present squads (except 1) retained the number of the engine that was given squad functions but which continued functioning as an engine in their first due area.

Squad 8 could be representing the 8th squad, or the 8th Division squad, or 8th of something else.  OR there may be a move to separate the engine and squad functions by uniquely identifying the 8 squads sequentially 1 to 8 similar to other SOC units.  For example, dispatched as 154 for an engine call, and dispatched as Sq 8 for a SOC duty call.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2018, 08:18:05 AM »
Yes that is very true all of them are except Squad 1 I think.  I think from looking at the picture with the Chief and Comm. I think they made it Squad 8 maybe since it's in Div. 8 and also maybe since they want to not loose an engine company in SI
E-18
E-41
E-61
E-252
E-270
E-288

I think that might be a very valid point. I've heard that Staten Islands population is growing and there is only a limited amount of engine companies to cover such a large geographical area. Thus keeping Eng 154.

I'm sure "68jk09" or "fdhistorian" can give more facts about this but, when Engine 41 was about to be closed, as I remember, there was a strong uproar from the neighborhood. They didn't want it closed. In response to that the term "Enhanced Engine" came into play. This was shortly after the attempted closing of the engine company now occupied by Squad 1. It became known as "The Peoples Firehouse" because citizens took over the firehouse in order to keep it open.

After that activity and the fact that the neighborhood residents would NOT let the city close it, Engine 41 became known as "Enhanced Engine 41" which began it's duties to cover all working fires, pin jobs, etc, in the Bronx, Harlem and Washington Hgts.

Later I believe a study was done and after several drills, there seemed to be the threat of a terrorist chemical attack in NYC. It was decided that the FDNY needed additional Haz Mat trained companies. Thereby creating what we know today as the FDNY Squad Companies of Sqd 18, 41, 61, 252, 270, 288. Squad 1 also became a part of that as well.

As I remember it was the late B/C Ray Downey, who was killed on 9/11, who pushed for that to happen.

This is how "I" remember it was and the FDNY Squad Companies were born again. Prior to that, the FDNY Squad Companies were considered extra manning in order to fight the large numbers of fires that were going on during the very busy "FDNY War Years".
 In fact, this site's administrator, Retired Captain John Bendick, worked as a firefighter assigned to Squad Co 2 in the South Bronx. Squad 2 was manned at Engine 73 quarters, but during the night shifts, Squad 2 rotated between Engine 73, 82, and 85. As history tells us some of the busiest firefighting units in the history of the FDNY for fire duty.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2018, 11:01:35 AM »
It looks like the sign used in the picture was not a typical sign that would be prepared by FDNY for a function or celebration.  It looks like a sign done while you wait in a shop by someone who did not know much about the unit to be organized, date, designation, FDNY or SI.   I think the purpose of the event may not have been to announce an official name designation for the new squad, which will probably be Squad 154, as FDNY has been doing with all new squads formed (18, 41, 61, 252, 270, 288) which perform the both special ops and engine functions 

The old squad numbering system (Squads 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 9, 21, 22, 240) was used for manpower-only squads which originally used converted hose tenders, vans and trucks to respond.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 02:27:21 PM by mack »

Offline IRISH

• Fire-Ireland.com
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2018, 11:44:50 AM »
Rumour the Squads where all being re numbered Sq 1-8 .... any truth ???  :o :o 
www.fire-ireland.com for the Latest Firefighting News / Incidents from Ireland
or Follow Us On Twitter @FireIreland

Offline Bulldog

« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2018, 12:37:36 PM »
Rumour the Squads where all being re numbered Sq 1-8 .... any truth ???  :o :o
I personally don't see that happening, the present squad companies have to much history associated with the house and unit number.  I don't see any reason to change it.  Other than the rescues is no real rhyme or reason to the numbering of apparatus.

capthale

« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2018, 12:39:41 PM »
Whatís the pool u to we got to start taking bets. Squad 8 or squad 154 😂

Offline raybrag

« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2018, 12:47:24 PM »
Squad 154 where are you???  (for the more ancient members)
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline johnd248

• Aux. Lieut. at E. 248 1964-73
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2018, 01:20:48 PM »
Instead of guessing who is going to be what number and where equipment is going to be stationed, perhaps it is better to wait for the FDNY to figure it out.  They will probably let everyone know in due time.  JMO

anything